Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > The Guru's Pub
The Guru's Pub Hang out with Guru3D's staff and other visitors, have a nice civilized chat, nothing hardware related though !

Old
  (#51)
Merlena

Videocard: EVGA GTX 980 Ti 6GB SC+
Processor: Intel 4790K (Z97)
Mainboard: AsRock Fatal1ty Z97X
Memory: Kingston Beast 2400Mhz
Soundcard: ASUS Xense 7.1 Card
PSU: XFX 850W Gold+
Default 02-24-2017, 04:28 | posts: 44 | Location: Oslo, Norway

... get high as hell.

Old
  (#52)
Stormyandcold
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX1070 Gaming X
Processor: i7 6700k
Mainboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
Memory: Corsair LPX 4x8GB 3200mhz
Soundcard: RME Babyface/Shure SRH840
PSU: Silverstone Strider 700w
Default 02-24-2017, 11:49 | posts: 4,759 | Location: Wolverhampton, UK

Should be legalised, but, I also think we should be allowed to grow our own. Taxing it is fine as well, but, that should be for a sub-set of products. For me, it's about removing the dealers and giving people back control of it while also allowing our government to make money from it. What I don't want to see is the government replacing dealers only.

However, the most important thing is how we regulate it.

It should be regulated harshly, as harshly as drink+mobile phones for driving, as well as other social aspects of it e.g. high while looking after children etc.

It should be banned in all occupations while at work, no excuses. Make it a sackable offence without benefits.

Regulate it so it can't be abused. Also, I fully agree it does dumb-down people who are high. It also enhances most forms of entertainment for the user as enjoyment level is increased. On the otherhand, it can also induce paranoia and make mental problems worse. There's a lot of positive medical conditions it can help ease, while also other problems it can cause or introduce.

Old
  (#53)
Bentez
Maha Guru

Videocard: EVGA 1070 SC ACX | U2711
Processor: AMD R7 1700 3.9GHz H110i
Mainboard: ASUS Crosshair VI Hero
Memory: G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz C14
Soundcard: SupremeFX
PSU: Corsair HX1050
Default 02-24-2017, 13:08 | posts: 1,306 | Location: Southampton, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanm View Post
The problem with weed is that it has an image problem, they call it a 'drug'. Heroin is also called a drug. And by inference, dumb twats equate the two equally or in the same vein (no pun intended) simply because they fall under same heading 'drugs'.

Alcohol is incredibly left out of this because the fckwits who pass the laws are themselves drinkers.
^^ so much this.

I smoke most days, but in moderation. I feel completely fine doing this without it feeling like Iím causing myself harm. I have no perceived hangovers in the morning or regrets whilst 'under the influence'. I am able to fully contribute in my working day and I have an active social life as well as fulfilling relationships with people that are not smokers.

I drink maybe once or twice a month on average and if itís for a big occasion and I have a few too many then the effects of that 'drug' are magnitudes worse and the effects on my body can last for days.

Look at the money certain states are making from taxing weed. People argue that it is a gate way drug but if the shop you purchase it from is only selling weed rather than a dealer who could provide access to any number of life destroying substances I donít think numbers of drug addicts would go up or that society would start to fall apart.

Itís an opportunity to improve crime rates, raise some taxes and allow people access to something legally that is far less harmful than alcohol and tobacco without forcing them to commit a crime to do it.

Personal freedom of choice is something that the west bang on about all the time yet something as simple and harmless as cannabis possession has put alot of otherwise law abiding people behind bars..

Last edited by Bentez; 02-24-2017 at 13:13.

Old
  (#54)
Netherwind
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI 1080Ti 2038/12006MHz
Processor: Intel i7 6700K 4500MHz
Mainboard: MSI Z170 M5
Memory: Corsair 16GB Ven. 2666MHz
Soundcard: ALC1150 & Creative T20
PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850W
Default 02-24-2017, 14:18 | posts: 4,875 | Location: Sweden

Drugs, whether its alcohol, nicotine or weed is a difficult question to talk about. For those who can control it it's of course great - drinking a chilled IPA, smoking a cuban cigar or smoking some weed are all stimulants who affect our senses and lets us "take a pause from the real world".

Problem is that there are a lot of people out there who cant control themselves, and ultimately it will me us who will have to pay for their care when they get sick, miss work and so forth. Those who can control themselves will have to pay to take care of the others who cant. If we were to ban everything it would be less fun but we'd have more money.

So, can anyone decide who can use drugs or not? Of course not, which is the main problem. That's why this issue will always be divided into two groups, those who support and those who dont. My guess is that the teams will always be around 50/50.

Old
  (#55)
Clouseau
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI RX 480 Gamming
Processor: Ryzen 1700X
Memory: F4-3600C16D-16GTZ @ 3466
Soundcard:
PSU: Seasonic SSR-1200PD
Default 02-24-2017, 21:12 | posts: 1,804

Here in the US, opium and heroine were legal at one point in the early 1900's. They were eventually banned. During that time marijuana was against Federal law and still is. Cannot wrap my head around this one bit. Without the missing facts not sure why this was. Was hemp considered a major threat to the cotton industry?

Old
  (#56)
HeavyHemi
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX1080Ti/980TiSC PhysX
Processor: i7 6850K 4.5 Ghz 1.34 v
Mainboard: EVGA X99 FTWK
Memory: Corsair 3200mhz LPX 32GB
Soundcard: Asus Xonar Phoebus
PSU: CORSAIR AX1200
Default 02-24-2017, 22:20 | posts: 5,250 | Location: Wooing whilst wearing only socks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau View Post
Here in the US, opium and heroine were legal at one point in the early 1900's. They were eventually banned. During that time marijuana was against Federal law and still is. Cannot wrap my head around this one bit. Without the missing facts not sure why this was. Was hemp considered a major threat to the cotton industry?
Interesting theory about that...

http://www.drugpolicy.org/blog/how-d...al-first-place

Old
  (#57)
Clouseau
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI RX 480 Gamming
Processor: Ryzen 1700X
Memory: F4-3600C16D-16GTZ @ 3466
Soundcard:
PSU: Seasonic SSR-1200PD
Default 02-24-2017, 23:09 | posts: 1,804

Thanks for the article. DuPont and Nixon... Interesting how lives are impacted by racially motivated actions that occurred almost a century ago.

Old
  (#58)
SorienOR
Ancient Guru

Videocard: BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
Processor: Phenom II X4 940
Mainboard: Asus M2N-SLI
Memory: 4gb DDR2-800 Supertalent
Soundcard: Audigy 2 ZS
PSU: Antec TruePower 2.0 550w
Default 02-25-2017, 03:51 | posts: 6,459 | Location: Oregon

I don't see any need to voluntarily alter your brain chemistry for no reason. The world is quite spectacular and interesting as it is.

Also hate the smell, get it all the time wafting around here since it became legal in Oregon.

Old
  (#59)
Margalus
Member Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
Processor: i7 6850k
Mainboard: Asus X99 Deluxe
Memory: 32GB Gskill 3200 DDR4
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair HXi850
Default 02-25-2017, 04:14 | posts: 129 | Location: St. Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder III View Post
I just wanted to reply to state that I have never smoked weed or even wanted to try it (being asthmatic my whole life made it seem like an extra bad idea). I have however been around people that smoked weed daily. When I worked at a ski resort I had fellow workers light up daily right on the job. Their job performance went to hell in a hand cart when they were high, (their severely lowered reaction time is a bad thing running a chair lift). conversing with them after they got high was painful. They always talked about how they were smarter and tried to have these intellectual and philosophical discussions that just made them sound like idiots. Now if they would just light up at home I wouldn't have cared, but at doing it at work was and is retarded. (This was my observations for a couple dozen individuals over 7-8 years).

I do respect your opinion, I just thought I should give my experiences with it second hand so to speak.
Marijuana is actually good for Asthma and one of the recognized medical uses for it. I have severe asthma, as long as I have a little weed to smoke once a day I'm fine. Without it my asthma goes nuts and then it's back to the ventolin inhaler.

Old
  (#60)
cowie
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX
Processor: 2600k
Mainboard: gigabyte p67 UD7
Memory: 2x4g 1600 ddr3
Soundcard:
PSU: pcp&c 1200 watt
Default 02-25-2017, 12:58 | posts: 12,814 | Location: new jersey

first off I will not even argue "safety of our kids" or "bloodmoney" bullcrap you hear.

#1 gateway drug is alcohol and that's legal and kills a lot of people every year the leading cause as a matter of fact.
high school football kills more kids then cannabis ever did.

its the money
who loses the most?

1 cops jails and judicial systems
that's a big money train right there they can say they want the evils of this plant to be gone but they are getting cuts enough in bugets these days

2 big pharm
in a states like mine if I was on my death bed I could get legL MMJ but if I cant sleep I have to get xannax.remember they cant patient cannabis.
they funnel a lot of cash to most politics of both side

3 liquor and beer makers
it has been shown in legal states alcohol use id down 18-24% and well since its hard to get the money the tobacco industry feeds the pockets to last you gotta get it from the beer makers since that's still ok.

4 the underworld
you know where you gotta go to get weed when you guys is out.

I am not taking baby steps here you guys all know.
when the racist laws were enforced back n the day t was a big f storm,they even got other countries in on it.

just decimalize it for small amount up to 26g on you 1/4lb per home user max 25 plant grows and you cant sell it at all.
then as time goes on you get some commercial regs in place then some shops(limits on how many a mile and safe places).

if some would take the time to read in states studies its use among teens is down in legal states
so don't give me the blood money gateway drug.
its safety was never in question

Last edited by cowie; 02-25-2017 at 13:05.

Old
  (#61)
Anarion
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 ACX
Processor: Intel Core i7 3770K
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z77-V
Memory: G.SKILL RipjawsX 16 GB
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Zx + HD 595
PSU: Corsair AX760
Default 02-25-2017, 13:30 | posts: 12,910 | Location: Finland

Smoking anything is just stupid. I also hate smokers who do not think others. I don't want to inhale their fumes so they better smoke somewhere in private.

Old
  (#62)
cowie
Ancient Guru

Soundcard:
Default 02-25-2017, 13:52 | posts: 12,814 | Location: new jersey

^ha that reminds me ....4 out of 5 doctors recommend pall mall

Old
  (#63)
airbud7
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI RX 480 ARMOR 4G OC
Processor: i7-2600k (Thanks sykozis)
Mainboard: ASRock H61icalf
Memory: 8GB G.S DDR3 1600 --TK--
Soundcard: Xonar DX
PSU: PC Power&Cooling S61EPS
Default 02-25-2017, 14:45 | posts: 4,276 | Location: Beech Island SC,USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowie View Post
^ha that reminds me ....4 out of 5 doctors recommend pall mall
Camel...

Old
  (#64)
The General
Ancient Guru

Videocard: ATI FireProV4800 GDDR5
Processor: Quad Xeon X3220 2.40ghz
Mainboard: Dell Inc. 0200DY
Memory: 4GB DDR3 Memory
Soundcard: SoundMAX Integrated HD
PSU: Thermaltake TR2-430
Default 02-25-2017, 14:54 | posts: 3,084 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Maryland, Dundalk

Last edited by The General; 02-25-2017 at 15:43.

Old
  (#65)
TimmyP
Master Guru

Videocard: NV GTX 970 Titan Cooler
Processor: FX-6300 @4.6ghz
Mainboard: MSI 970A-G43
Memory: 8gb GSkill RJ DDR3 1600
Soundcard: Auzentech X-Mystique DDL
PSU: 700-Watt Corsair
Default 02-25-2017, 15:19 | posts: 503 | Location: Reality

MJ is a perfect symptomatic drug for chronic pain management. It helped my grandma deal with cancer.

And guess what? They vaporize it! Doctors give them vaporizers. So for those daft idiots who think MJ isnt a drug because it doesn't "cure diseases" (lol) many drugs dont, they just treat symptoms.

Old
  (#66)
Stormyandcold
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX1070 Gaming X
Processor: i7 6700k
Mainboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
Memory: Corsair LPX 4x8GB 3200mhz
Soundcard: RME Babyface/Shure SRH840
PSU: Silverstone Strider 700w
Default 02-25-2017, 15:57 | posts: 4,759 | Location: Wolverhampton, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
Smoking anything is just stupid. I also hate smokers who do not think others. I don't want to inhale their fumes so they better smoke somewhere in private.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDDGqrY8-VI

Old
  (#67)
cowie
Ancient Guru

Soundcard:
Default 02-25-2017, 16:00 | posts: 12,814 | Location: new jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
dude you are entitled to your opinion nothing to take it down for.

I don't think its an evil plant
its sorta like power

Last edited by cowie; 02-25-2017 at 16:02.

Old
  (#68)
Corrupt^
Ancient Guru

Videocard: ASUS 1080GTX STRIX
Processor: Core i7 5820K
Mainboard: ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1
Memory: Kingston HypX 16GB 3Ghz
Soundcard: Essence STXII Senn. HD650
PSU: Super Flower 1200W
Default 02-25-2017, 17:30 | posts: 6,596 | Location: Belgium

Quote:
The bold part is pretty black and white tbh and there's a whole grey area to work with on this subject.

The italic part I understand and makes sense.

Old
  (#69)
XP-200
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Asus GTX 970 Strix
Processor: Intel i7-4770 @ 3.40ghz
Mainboard: Asus Z87-K
Memory: Corsair XMS3 16GB 1333
Soundcard: VIA HD Onboard
PSU: OCZ 600w+80
Default 02-25-2017, 18:18 | posts: 3,801 | Location: UK

Quote:
Pretty much nailed it.

Old
  (#70)
mbk1969
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GeForce GTX 970
Processor: I7-4930
Mainboard: Asus p9x79
Memory: G Skill RipjawZ, 16GB
Soundcard: Onboard + FiiO E17
PSU: 1000 W
Default 02-25-2017, 19:07 | posts: 3,533 | Location: Moscow, Russia

I would recommend to read "The Biology of Desire: Why Addiction Is Not a Disease" by Marc Lewis PhD (ISBN 978-1610394376).
According to modern neurobiology it is not alcohol/narcotic (as a chemical) that leads to brain transformation when you are addicted. Pattern of transformation is the same as with any other thing that brings us positive emotions - like love, sex, cakes, movies, etc.
Dynamic is the same all the time:
- we taste something new and we like it very much;
- we feel positive emotions;
- we memorise that this new thing we like;
- we create motivation to repeat.
This dynamic always creates new links either between neurons inside special regions in brain and between regions themselves. This is called learning. And the more we repeat new positive experience the more strong new pattern in brain.
But alcohol/narcotic tends to be very positive emotionally (especially at first) and it brings (temporal and fictional) protection or solution for problems. So if we have deep psychological problems and we not just get high from alcohol/narcotic but we feel deep relieve then the risk to become addicted is substantial.
When we are addicted we strengthen pattern created in brain and we weaken all other patterns (like social behaviour, old habits, old tastes etc).

So be careful guys.

Old
  (#71)
TaskMaster
Master Guru

Videocard: Galax GTX 980 SLI 4gb
Processor: Intel i7 4960x 4.7ghz
Mainboard: Rampage IV Extreme
Memory: 64GB Dominator Platinum
Soundcard: XFI Titanium f4tality pro
PSU: Coolermaster 1000Watt
Default 02-25-2017, 19:12 | posts: 726

I used to smoke weed in UNI in California. Fun times.

Just do what you want. If you smoke, good for you, if you don't, good for you and if you have a problem with anyone doing what they like (as long as it is not harmless to others) then screw you!

Don't see why all these morale threads are popping up in the pub. First we had the twitch girl stalker and now the weed smoker. Honestly, who cares?

If weed is your thing, then do it, if not then don't do it. Simple as.

Old
  (#72)
Halfmead
Master Guru

Videocard: KFA2 GTX980 SOC @1.5/7600
Processor: i5-2500k @4.5Ghz, 1.330Vc
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3P-B3
Memory: DDR III 4x4gb 1333Mhz
Soundcard: Hyper 612S cpu cool
PSU: Zalman ZM750-XG 80+ gold
Default 02-25-2017, 19:17 | posts: 178 | Location: Denmark

As said earlier, legalize it and tax it (Denmark here).
Ban smoking it in public places tho...smells horrible lol

As for side effects...doubt they're worse than alchohol really, unless ppl go off the deep end... in which case most things fun are harmful...

Old
  (#73)
airbud7
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI RX 480 ARMOR 4G OC
Processor: i7-2600k (Thanks sykozis)
Mainboard: ASRock H61icalf
Memory: 8GB G.S DDR3 1600 --TK--
Soundcard: Xonar DX
PSU: PC Power&Cooling S61EPS
Default 02-25-2017, 21:34 | posts: 4,276 | Location: Beech Island SC,USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by XP-200 View Post
Pretty much nailed it.

Remember to cut your fart fan on before GF comes in dude...,,

Old
  (#74)
XP-200
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Asus GTX 970 Strix
Processor: Intel i7-4770 @ 3.40ghz
Mainboard: Asus Z87-K
Memory: Corsair XMS3 16GB 1333
Soundcard: VIA HD Onboard
PSU: OCZ 600w+80
Default 02-26-2017, 18:06 | posts: 3,801 | Location: UK

^^^26 years together means you no longer have anything to, or worth, hiding, well apart from the cost of a new video card, as far as she knows every single card cost's £99, and are required even if you only shopping on the net.

Old
  (#75)
Jujudlapampa
Member Guru

Videocard: Strix GTX1070 2088/2302
Processor: I7 7700K/Noctua D15s
Mainboard: MSI Z270 Gaming pro carb.
Memory: Ballistix 2x8gb 3000mhz
Soundcard:
PSU: Be Quiet! PP L8 600W
Default 03-03-2017, 23:32 | posts: 94 | Location: France

Just a fun fact : French are the biggest consumers of MJ in Europe, while it's illegal here. Way above the Netherlands.

I think legalizing it won't change much for the average joe.

As previously said it's all about restrain, if you're psychologically stable enough to not be tempted to dive into it, and if you're reasonable, the pros might overcome the cons. Although most people aren't in my opinion, but that's matter for another debate.

It's a good anti-stress/tension reliever. Clearly not the healthiest, nor the worst.
I feel like this shouldn't be that big of a deal, it most likely is because of the "drug" affix as Alanm stated.