Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Affiliates > MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion forum
MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion forum This forum is intended for MSI customers for questions on the AfterBurner Overclock Utility based off Rivatuner. In this section the users help each other out with answers as well as support staff from MSI.

RTSS frame limiter delay measured
Old
  (#1)
n2k3

Videocard: 2xGTX 980 Ti Lightning
Processor: Core i7 5820K @ 4.6GHz
Mainboard: Asus Ramage V Extreme
Memory: Corsair DDR4 3200MHz 32GB
Soundcard: SupremeFX & 5.1 Klipsch
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Default RTSS frame limiter delay measured - 01-20-2017, 22:26 | posts: 11

A YouTube channel called Battle(non)sense, which is ran by a guy named Chris, measured the Button to Pixel (input lag) when using a G-Sync (or Free Sync) monitor in combination with the frame limiter feature of RTSS.

It's explained in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs0PYCpBJjc
where RTSS is looked at 3:52 in the video (but it is recommended to watch the full video).

It seems that the feature in RTSS is better implemented than the similar Nvidia Inspector feature named Frame Rate Limiter.
This basically means when a video game doesn't allow you to limit the frame rate in-game, you should set it in RTSS, as it will always have less delay than with V-Sync enabled.

I'm wondering as to how that was achieved, and if it would be possible to reduce the delay even further, similar to when the game itself allows frame limiting?
[Edit: it seems tests done in the G-Sync 101 post at blurbusters forum, show a way smaller delay introduced when using RTSS frame limiter.]

Thanks

Last edited by n2k3; 01-22-2017 at 08:20.

Old
  (#2)
BUDA20

Videocard: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970 4GB
Processor: I5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz
Mainboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3
Memory: 8GB G.Skill 2133MHz
Soundcard: Realtek HD
PSU: Sentey 850w
Default 03-20-2017, 10:34 | posts: 18 | Location: Argentina

I saw this using different limiters, in some games even a bad vsync implementation (like in Syndicate or Heroes & Generals) is fixed by using RTSS to a equal limit to the screen refresh (in addition to vsync)

But for people who play in fullscreen with no vsync and no gsync, using nvidia inspector and frame limiter v2 will give you no tearing and no input lag.

So RTSS has better timing, nvidia inspector has better sync to the monitor refresh, RTSS seems to be oblivious of the monitor refresh.

*you will see a bit of tearing if the fps drop, but is still better that adaptive vsync

Tags
frame limiter, g-sync, rtss, v-sync