Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > The Guru's Pub
The Guru's Pub Hang out with Guru3D's staff and other visitors, have a nice civilized chat, nothing hardware related though !



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old
  (#101)
AsiJu
Ancient Guru
 
AsiJu's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 980Ti SC+/Xtreme IV
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Mainboard: ASRock X370 Killer SLI
Memory: G.Skill Trid.Z 3000 16 GB
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium + Z906
PSU: Tt. Toughpower XT 875 W
Default 01-20-2017, 19:11 | posts: 3,559 | Location: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasky View Post
Not quite the same, but I've given up drinking since may 1st. It was pretty hard in the beginning but just holding something in my hand when going out helped immensely. Otherwise just going to group meetings and keeping my mind busy was also a key.
Congratz for that and good luck!

Haven't taken a drop myself since April 2015.
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#102)
TekkMarine
Maha Guru
 
TekkMarine's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
Processor: Intel i7-4790K 4.4Ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z97X G5
Memory: 16GB Ballistics 1866Mhz
Soundcard: On Board
PSU: Corsair HX1000i
Default 01-20-2017, 23:57 | posts: 1,286 | Location: United Kingdom

I quit smoking cold turkey a few years ago, have a vape for poker nights and joint once in a blue moon. I'd gladly however light up a cigarette again after watching that damn youtube video.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#103)
XP-200
Ancient Guru
 
XP-200's Avatar
 
Videocard: Asus GTX 970 Strix
Processor: Intel i7-4770 @ 3.40ghz
Mainboard: Asus Z87-K
Memory: Corsair XMS3 16GB 1333
Soundcard: VIA HD Onboard
PSU: OCZ 600w+80
Default 02-02-2017, 15:46 | posts: 3,801 | Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsiJu View Post
Congratz for that and good luck!

Haven't taken a drop myself since April 2015.
I stopped drinking on the 8/11/1993, totally tee total, and loving every minute of it. ha
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#104)
AsiJu
Ancient Guru
 
AsiJu's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 980Ti SC+/Xtreme IV
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Mainboard: ASRock X370 Killer SLI
Memory: G.Skill Trid.Z 3000 16 GB
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium + Z906
PSU: Tt. Toughpower XT 875 W
Default 02-02-2017, 16:15 | posts: 3,559 | Location: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by XP-200 View Post
I stopped drinking on the 8/11/1993, totally tee total, and loving every minute of it. ha
Respect! That's... 23 years of sobriety so far!

Will soon have 2 years myself, quit 20th of April in 2015.
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#105)
zimzoid
Maha Guru
 
zimzoid's Avatar
 
Videocard: 2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
Processor: i7 4930K/Corsair H110i
Mainboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Ed
Memory: GSkillRipjawsZ4x4 2133mhz
Soundcard: SB Zx Denon Klipsch 5.1
PSU: CM V1200w Platinum
Default 02-02-2017, 17:51 | posts: 1,340 | Location: New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsilver View Post
i've considered it. anyone know if there's any negative side effects to vaping?
None I've noticed since 8 months of vaping, more positives as in more money in my wallet, food tastes way better, feeling fitter and breathing is alot clearer, no stinky clothing and breathe, all the benefits of being a non smoker..
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#106)
Corrupt^
Ancient Guru
 
Corrupt^'s Avatar
 
Videocard: ASUS 1080GTX STRIX
Processor: Core i7 5820K
Mainboard: ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1
Memory: Kingston HypX 16GB 3Ghz
Soundcard: Essence STXII Senn. HD650
PSU: Super Flower 1200W
Default 02-02-2017, 19:41 | posts: 6,596 | Location: Belgium

Yep. Not as extreme as fully quitting, but definitely a lot more clearer breathing as opposed to normal smoking.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#107)
CapKrunch
Member Guru
 
CapKrunch's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
Processor: 5820k 4.6ghz @ 1.290v
Mainboard: Asus X99-A 3.1
Memory: 4x8gb G. Skill 3200c14
Soundcard: N/A
PSU: Corsair HX850W
Default 02-11-2017, 14:11 | posts: 76 | Location: No Man's Land, TX

if want to quit then cold turkey is the best way to go and it will make you remember why you quit in first place and never do it again like I did. Yes it is very brutal but worth it cuz it will make you quit and stay like that forever.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#108)
nakquada
Master Guru
 
nakquada's Avatar
 
Videocard: Gigabyte GTX 1080 FE
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Mainboard: Asus X99-A II
Memory: 16GB Vengeance DDR4-3000
Soundcard: SB Zx + Edifier S550 5.1
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Default 02-15-2017, 14:58 | posts: 351 | Location: Kildare, Ireland

Just to confirm - vaping is not quitting smoking. It's replacing a form of smoking with an equally toxic form of smoking.

If you really want to quit smoking, you'll just quit. No setting a date, no making plans for substitutions. Just quit.

I smoked for 10 years. And in the latter years I hated it. I used to wash my hands and brush my teeth every time I smoked. I hated the smell of ashtrays. Hated the smell off my hands and clothes. I was disgusting.

I tried patches a few times and tried cold turkey and wasn't really bothered until I went to a house party one weekend. I got ****faced. Ran out of cigs so started rolling up cigs in Rizlas from the butts in ashtrays (I was pretty ****faced). It was then that I realised how disgusted with myself I was. The next morning I was driving back home and I just grabbed the cigs, ****ed them out the window and never smoked again.

That was January 2009 and I never looked back.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#109)
zimzoid
Maha Guru
 
zimzoid's Avatar
 
Videocard: 2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
Processor: i7 4930K/Corsair H110i
Mainboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Ed
Memory: GSkillRipjawsZ4x4 2133mhz
Soundcard: SB Zx Denon Klipsch 5.1
PSU: CM V1200w Platinum
Default 02-15-2017, 18:27 | posts: 1,340 | Location: New Zealand

Actually vaping is not smoking and it's not equally toxic, stop spreading false information please.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#110)
nakquada
Master Guru
 
nakquada's Avatar
 
Videocard: Gigabyte GTX 1080 FE
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Mainboard: Asus X99-A II
Memory: 16GB Vengeance DDR4-3000
Soundcard: SB Zx + Edifier S550 5.1
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Default 02-16-2017, 00:47 | posts: 351 | Location: Kildare, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimzoid View Post
Actually vaping is not smoking and it's not equally toxic, stop spreading false information please.
It's not false information.

Smoking is bad for you.

Vaping is bad for you.

Don't do either.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#111)
Corrupt^
Ancient Guru
 
Corrupt^'s Avatar
 
Videocard: ASUS 1080GTX STRIX
Processor: Core i7 5820K
Mainboard: ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1
Memory: Kingston HypX 16GB 3Ghz
Soundcard: Essence STXII Senn. HD650
PSU: Super Flower 1200W
Default 02-16-2017, 01:04 | posts: 6,596 | Location: Belgium

Of course they're both bad. That's not the argument. It's about whether or not vaping is less of a health concern then regular cigarettes.

And so far it's pointing in that direction. My long capacity has improved drastically when I quit smoking regular cigarettes.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#112)
Stormyandcold
Ancient Guru
 
Stormyandcold's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI GTX1070 Gaming X
Processor: i7 6700k
Mainboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
Memory: Corsair LPX 4x8GB 3200mhz
Soundcard: RME Babyface/Shure SRH840
PSU: Silverstone Strider 700w
Default 02-16-2017, 23:50 | posts: 4,759 | Location: Wolverhampton, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupt^ View Post
Of course they're both bad. That's not the argument. It's about whether or not vaping is less of a health concern then regular cigarettes.

And so far it's pointing in that direction. My long capacity has improved drastically when I quit smoking regular cigarettes.
I hope my long capacity improves too. As well as my lungs.

Anyway, this valentines I was adamant I had to quit smoking cigarettes no matter what.

I was up town with mrs and kids after school. While mrs popped into Iceland, I went to the open vape shop and got myself a sub-ohm Socialites Vortex to help me quit (which I've done easily as I've done it before using vape).

I had a brand new bottle of juice left from the last time I was doing it (Vivid's Berry Blast 18mg which I was using with a pen) and it was killing my throat. I thought I'd made a big mistake (again). OK, I drive to the garage to get some low mg stuff to make sure. This time I ended-up with mv Strawberry Fields 6mg, which was better, but, still harsh on my throat. Still no good.

I went back up town today to the same shop I got the vape from and got Sub Vapes Heizenberg 3mg 30ml bottle. This one is working exactly how I want. Much smoother and better taste without the harsh throat problem.

So, I've managed to quit smoking cigarettes again, but, I don't plan on vaping for long and if I do, I will be moving onto no nicotine asap. Day 2, I've started coughing-up the nasty stuff already so, yeah, hopefully I can quit for good this time.

The big lesson for me here is the juice is absolutely crucial and convenience store juices might not be the ones to use. 3mg is plenty for me with a sub ohm vape.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#113)
drandiiski
Maha Guru
 
drandiiski's Avatar
 
Videocard: Palit GTX 750Ti StormX 2G
Processor: Intel i5 3470 @ 4.0Ghz
Mainboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M
Memory: 2x4Gb DDR3 @1646Mhz
Soundcard: Realtek ALC898
PSU: CoolerMaster 500W eXtreme
Default 02-17-2017, 10:32 | posts: 1,122 | Location: Bulgaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormyandcold View Post
I hope my long capacity improves too. As well as my lungs.

Anyway, this valentines I was adamant I had to quit smoking cigarettes no matter what.

I was up town with mrs and kids after school. While mrs popped into Iceland, I went to the open vape shop and got myself a sub-ohm Socialites Vortex to help me quit (which I've done easily as I've done it before using vape).

I had a brand new bottle of juice left from the last time I was doing it (Vivid's Berry Blast 18mg which I was using with a pen) and it was killing my throat. I thought I'd made a big mistake (again). OK, I drive to the garage to get some low mg stuff to make sure. This time I ended-up with mv Strawberry Fields 6mg, which was better, but, still harsh on my throat. Still no good.

I went back up town today to the same shop I got the vape from and got Sub Vapes Heizenberg 3mg 30ml bottle. This one is working exactly how I want. Much smoother and better taste without the harsh throat problem.

So, I've managed to quit smoking cigarettes again, but, I don't plan on vaping for long and if I do, I will be moving onto no nicotine asap. Day 2, I've started coughing-up the nasty stuff already so, yeah, hopefully I can quit for good this time.

The big lesson for me here is the juice is absolutely crucial and convenience store juices might not be the ones to use. 3mg is plenty for me with a sub ohm vape.
The liquid you are using is more than half of the experience for sure. The throat problem may be due to the PG/VG percentage. The more the PG, the harsher the vape. At the moment Iím enjoying 100% VG juices, Churrios and Pudding by The Milkman and love the smoothness. The liquid you are using is kind of cheap and with strange mixing - PG 57.5%, VG 27.5%, demineralised water 9.4%, flavoring 5%. Do try something different.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#114)
Stormyandcold
Ancient Guru
 
Stormyandcold's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI GTX1070 Gaming X
Processor: i7 6700k
Mainboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
Memory: Corsair LPX 4x8GB 3200mhz
Soundcard: RME Babyface/Shure SRH840
PSU: Silverstone Strider 700w
Default 02-19-2017, 02:39 | posts: 4,759 | Location: Wolverhampton, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by drandiiski View Post
The liquid you are using is more than half of the experience for sure. The throat problem may be due to the PG/VG percentage. The more the PG, the harsher the vape. At the moment Iím enjoying 100% VG juices, Churrios and Pudding by The Milkman and love the smoothness. The liquid you are using is kind of cheap and with strange mixing - PG 57.5%, VG 27.5%, demineralised water 9.4%, flavoring 5%. Do try something different.
It's 20 pg 80 vg.

http://vapepod.uk/product/sub-vapes-heizenberg/

Last edited by Stormyandcold; 02-19-2017 at 02:42.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#115)
dwiewolverine
Master Guru
 
dwiewolverine's Avatar
 
Videocard: Strix GTX 980 Ti SLI
Processor: i7-6850K @4.8GHz
Mainboard: Asus RV10 Edition
Memory: CMD16GX4M4B3200C16R
Soundcard: ZxR + Z906
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Default 02-19-2017, 03:22 | posts: 163 | Location: Indonesia - U.S.

NO SMOKE..

NO VAPE..

NO DRINK..

NO DRUG..

TOTALLY FREE & HEALTHY..rocking everyday without them all
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#116)
Stormyandcold
Ancient Guru
 
Stormyandcold's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI GTX1070 Gaming X
Processor: i7 6700k
Mainboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
Memory: Corsair LPX 4x8GB 3200mhz
Soundcard: RME Babyface/Shure SRH840
PSU: Silverstone Strider 700w
Default 02-19-2017, 05:13 | posts: 4,759 | Location: Wolverhampton, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwiewolverine View Post
NO SMOKE..

NO VAPE..

NO DRINK..

NO DRUG..

TOTALLY FREE & HEALTHY..rocking everyday without them all
Best way bro.

My mrs would add NO GAMBLING to that list.

Her 3 No's are;

Drink
Smoking
Gambling

I only smoke so got in...barely.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#117)
Pyr0
Master Guru
 
Pyr0's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0
Processor: Intel 6700K
Mainboard: Asus Z170 Deluxe
Memory: 16GB 3200C14 G.Skill TZ
Soundcard: Asus Xonar DX/Logi Z-5400
PSU: Corsair HX850
Default 02-19-2017, 09:06 | posts: 590 | Location: UK

Why do people feel the need to sub ohm vape and blow huge clouds?
Smoking cigarettes was never like that, doing lung inhales.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#118)
drandiiski
Maha Guru
 
drandiiski's Avatar
 
Videocard: Palit GTX 750Ti StormX 2G
Processor: Intel i5 3470 @ 4.0Ghz
Mainboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M
Memory: 2x4Gb DDR3 @1646Mhz
Soundcard: Realtek ALC898
PSU: CoolerMaster 500W eXtreme
Default 02-19-2017, 10:40 | posts: 1,122 | Location: Bulgaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormyandcold View Post
My bad, google gave me something else.

@Pyr0, not sute mate. Personally I'm going for mouth to lung with 1.5ohms coils..
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#119)
AsiJu
Ancient Guru
 
AsiJu's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 980Ti SC+/Xtreme IV
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Mainboard: ASRock X370 Killer SLI
Memory: G.Skill Trid.Z 3000 16 GB
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium + Z906
PSU: Tt. Toughpower XT 875 W
Default 02-19-2017, 10:48 | posts: 3,559 | Location: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by drandiiski View Post
My bad, google gave me something else.

@Pyr0, not sute mate. Personally I'm going for mouth to lung with 1.5ohms coils..
Same. Being accustomed to smokes it feels natural that way.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#120)
Corrupt^
Ancient Guru
 
Corrupt^'s Avatar
 
Videocard: ASUS 1080GTX STRIX
Processor: Core i7 5820K
Mainboard: ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1
Memory: Kingston HypX 16GB 3Ghz
Soundcard: Essence STXII Senn. HD650
PSU: Super Flower 1200W
Default 02-19-2017, 12:45 | posts: 6,596 | Location: Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyr0 View Post
Why do people feel the need to sub ohm vape and blow huge clouds?
Smoking cigarettes was never like that, doing lung inhales.
Neither do I.

I'm still using my Aspire Nautilus Mini.

I'm just using them as a replacement for cigarettes and slowly tone the nicotine levels down.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#121)
Quty
Newbie
 
Quty's Avatar
 
Videocard: GPU Radeon R7 250
Processor: Intel Core i5-6500
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Dell Studio Xps 9100
Default 02-21-2017, 15:39 | posts: 12 | Location: Saint Paul

I try to quit cold turkey and don't smoke two months. But it's very difficult for me. Probably I should try the vaping
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#122)
PrMinisterGR
Ancient Guru
 
PrMinisterGR's Avatar
 
Videocard: Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
Processor: Core i7 2600k@4.5GHz
Mainboard: Sapphire Pure Black P67
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar D2X
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Default 02-21-2017, 17:20 | posts: 6,845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quty View Post
I try to quit cold turkey and don't smoke two months. But it's very difficult for me. Probably I should try the vaping
Keep refusing to smoke anything. Cold turkey is the only real way, you're doing great, you're almost past the really hard part.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#123)
viper_911
Newbie
 
viper_911's Avatar
 
Videocard: msi 980 gtx ti 6g
Processor: i7 4790 k
Mainboard: msi z97 gaming 7
Memory: 16gb ddr3
Soundcard:
PSU: 850 corsair
Default 02-21-2017, 19:31 | posts: 22

vaping is helping me quit , ive been diagnosed with copd, whitch is basically my lungs are starting to stiffen. ive been smoking since i was 13 now 51.
my advise would be dont start smoking at all
   
Reply With Quote
Yup 2 years now....
Old
  (#124)
SplashDown
Master Guru
 
SplashDown's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 980ti Classy@1500
Processor: AMD 8350 @ 4.7 XSPC RX240
Mainboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme 9
Memory: King HyperX Beast 2133CL9
Soundcard: Realtek 7.1 & 1000w Reciv
PSU: Cooler Master Silent 1000
Default Yup 2 years now.... - 02-21-2017, 20:52 | posts: 402 | Location: Michigan

Quit smoking 2 years ago in March, and have replaced with vaping. But haven't touched another since I did that. I smoked 2 packs a day easy. For what it's worth, everyone is different.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#125)
TaskMaster
Master Guru
 
TaskMaster's Avatar
 
Videocard: Galax GTX 980 SLI 4gb
Processor: Intel i7 4960x 4.7ghz
Mainboard: Rampage IV Extreme
Memory: 64GB Dominator Platinum
Soundcard: XFI Titanium f4tality pro
PSU: Coolermaster 1000Watt
Default 02-23-2017, 07:00 | posts: 726

I quit cold turkey only a week ago in prep for a PT exam I have coming up.

29 and have been smoking since I was 15. So far so good had the odd craving here and there especially after meals.

My main challenge is being surrounded by various people who smoke (a lot and I mean A LOT of guys smoke in the military here).
   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright (c) 2017, All Rights Reserved. The Guru of 3D, the Hardware Guru, and 3D Guru are trademarks owned by Hilbert Hagedoorn.