Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce
Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce This forum is all about NVIDIA graphics cards and related technology. Do you have a question regarding an older GeForce videocard? Likely we have the answer.

Old
  (#251)
-Tj-
Ancient Guru

Videocard: ZOTAC GTX980Ti Amp!Omega
Processor: Intel i7 4770K OC 4.7GHz
Mainboard: ASUS Z87 Deluxe 2103
Memory: DDR3 G.skill 16GB 2400MHz
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium HD @Bose A5
PSU: Nitro88+ 650W 52A
Default 01-11-2017, 01:05 | posts: 13,542 | Location: Proxima \/82

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathloki View Post
What's hybrid GPU mode?
you know like in the old days Lucid virtu multigpu

Quote:
Explicit Multiadapter control in Unreal Engine 4

We used Epic Games’ DX12 Unreal Engine 4 to split the rendering workload across an integrated Intel GPU and a discrete NVIDIA GPU to showcase how it is possible to use two disparate GPUs simultaneously to maximize performance.

To show how this extra boost can help gamers, we set up a race between a single discrete NVIDIA GPU and a Multiadapter configuration consisting of the same single discrete GPU + an integrated Intel GPU.
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dir...-work-for-you/

Old
  (#252)
Redemption80
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GALAX 970/ASUS 970 STRIX
Processor: i7-2600K @ 4.7ghz
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 PRO Intel P67
Memory: G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB
Soundcard: Nvidia - HDMI
PSU: Corsair GS800
Default 01-11-2017, 01:12 | posts: 17,521 | Location: Glasgow

Quote:
I think people would love to see 4K60. 4k120 is so far off its not even worth thinking about right now.
Easily done with older games, I finished Batman AC last year and (via DSR) held a solid 4k/60 throughout, so those with better hardware could go much newer than that.
Only handy if like me, you have a backlog of games that stretches back years though.

As for hybrid, I thought AOTS also supported it.

Old
  (#253)
wrathloki
Maha Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Gaming
Processor: Intel i7 6700K 4.3ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming7
Memory: 32GB Ripjaws V 2800mhz
Soundcard: HT Omega eClaro
PSU: EVGA Supernova 850 G2
Default 01-11-2017, 01:32 | posts: 1,267 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemption80 View Post
Easily done with older games, I finished Batman AC last year and (via DSR) held a solid 4k/60 throughout, so those with better hardware could go much newer than that.
Only handy if like me, you have a backlog of games that stretches back years though.

As for hybrid, I thought AOTS also supported it.
Well yeah that's a given. I was able to play through Inside at 4k60 and that's a new game, just not very demanding. I want to play new AAA games at 4k60 though. Only when that's possible will we have really arrived at 4K gaming.

Old
  (#254)
Redemption80
Ancient Guru

Default 01-11-2017, 01:39 | posts: 17,521 | Location: Glasgow

Yeah, was just meaning that an older game running 4k/120 could be a more impressive experience than a newer one packed full of more modern but subtle visual effects.

Only modern AAA games that will be doable soon are probably Doom and Gears of War 4.

The good thing (for me anyway) is that im unsure if going even higher framerate wise is noticeable, and im im a lot more confident that going beyond 4k is a waste of time on anything other than say a projector.

Old
  (#255)
wrathloki
Maha Guru

Default 01-11-2017, 01:53 | posts: 1,267 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Quote:
Yeah, was just meaning that an older game running 4k/120 could be a more impressive experience than a newer one packed full of more modern but subtle visual effects.

Only modern AAA games that will be doable soon are probably Doom and Gears of War 4.

The good thing (for me anyway) is that im unsure if going even higher framerate wise is noticeable, and im im a lot more confident that going beyond 4k is a waste of time on anything other than say a projector.
Well we are a very long way from 8k so I'm sure we'll get to high 4K frame rates before then and honestly I think 8k is a much harder sell than 4K. I can say from experience of using my Gsync monitor however that frame rates higher than 60 are noticeable, the higher you go the less blurry an image in motion will look. You can easily test this difference out on a game such as Diablo 3 where you move on only 2 axes and can do so fairly quickly. Cap your frame rate at 120 and move around and see how it looks, then drop it to 60 and see the difference.

As for Doom and Gears 4 I'm reasonably certain a 1080ti should be able to manage 4k60, same goes for The Witcher 3. Unfortunately those games are in the minority of extremely well optimized games.

Last edited by wrathloki; 01-11-2017 at 02:00.

Old
  (#256)
fantaskarsef
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Strix 980 SLI 1490MHz
Processor: 5930K 4500MHz
Mainboard: R5E USB3.1
Memory: Ripjaws 32GB 3200 MHz
Soundcard: ALC1150
PSU: AX 1200i
Default 01-11-2017, 06:26 | posts: 6,536 | Location: Austria (no kangaroos here)

Personally I thought that m$ is NOT working on any mGPU implementation, I was under the impression that it was ALL dev work now, completely handed over to the game makers instead of the API itself. So no... I don't think we will see lots of mGPU support until each engine is updated with it.

It all comes down to a simple statement: We have the horsepowers for 4k/120, it just doesn't work properly to use more than one GPU to get there (could be two, or three, or four way CFX/SLI). That's just how I see it, and it's a shame actually, that in 2016 we still didn't see a new API get the features that dx11 had for years.

Old
  (#257)
Redemption80
Ancient Guru

Default 01-11-2017, 07:37 | posts: 17,521 | Location: Glasgow

MS were reportedly working on an api solution for devs without the experience or the resources to support it properly.

That's from memory, will try and find the article in a bit.

DX12 actually has better support for MGPU than DX11, providing the devs put the effort into it, but we know how that works.

Old
  (#258)
fantaskarsef
Ancient Guru

Default 01-11-2017, 08:06 | posts: 6,536 | Location: Austria (no kangaroos here)

Quote:
MS were reportedly working on an api solution for devs without the experience or the resources to support it properly.

That's from memory, will try and find the article in a bit.

DX12 actually has better support for MGPU than DX11, providing the devs put the effort into it, but we know how that works.
Ah, well I missed that one then.
Indeed, as you say, we know how that works, and what it's worth if nobody puts it into their games. A shame, really, but it was clear that the transition and implementation of mGPU in dev's hands was a bad idea from mGPU user point of view (and probably dev pov).

Old
  (#259)
ScoobyDooby
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Zotac 980TI & Acer X34
Processor: 2600K @ 4.6ghz & EK Pr360
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4
Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengance
Soundcard: Teac UD-501
PSU: EVGA Supernova 850W Gold+
Default 01-11-2017, 17:28 | posts: 6,950 | Location: BC, Canada

Quote:
Well yeah that's a given. I was able to play through Inside at 4k60 and that's a new game, just not very demanding. I want to play new AAA games at 4k60 though. Only when that's possible will we have really arrived at 4K gaming.
I still don't understand why people have such hard ons for 4k. Like, I play games, and games already look awesome at 1440p, but its like people just can't be satisfied and NEED the absolute best resolution as if they are working in graphics and media or something. From a strictly gaming standpoint, why bother with 4k/60fps when 21:9 Gsync @ 100FPS+ is much more attainable from a hardware standpoint, and will play so much better..

It just doesn't seem like its a viable gaming resolution at this point since its too hard to drive with current tech.. so yeah I totally get what you are saying. I just don't understand why people thinks its the be-all-end-all resolution right now, and I read this position A LOT.

Old
  (#260)
wrathloki
Maha Guru

Default 01-11-2017, 17:57 | posts: 1,267 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDooby View Post
I still don't understand why people have such hard ons for 4k. Like, I play games, and games already look awesome at 1440p, but its like people just can't be satisfied and NEED the absolute best resolution as if they are working in graphics and media or something. From a strictly gaming standpoint, why bother with 4k/60fps when 21:9 Gsync @ 100FPS+ is much more attainable from a hardware standpoint, and will play so much better..

It just doesn't seem like its a viable gaming resolution at this point since its too hard to drive with current tech.. so yeah I totally get what you are saying. I just don't understand why people thinks its the be-all-end-all resolution right now, and I read this position A LOT.
4K eliminates aliasing for the most part, what's left is pretty minor, SMAA basically removes it completely at that point. 1080p is a jagged crawly mess and there's often not good AA choices and if there are they're crazy intensive. Also 4K makes everything look so sharp. As for 1440p my TV only does 1440p at 30hz and looks blurry because its pixel count doesn't divide evenly into 4K. This is the case for most (all?) 4K TVs. Basically it's like running SSAA 4x but with all the added extra detail and sharpness from actually having 4 times as many pixels.

If you haven't seen 4K games in action it's hard to understand why we have a hard on for it. It just looks so amazing. It's like the jump from SD to HD. Note that this isn't really the case for movies and TV because those things don't have to contend with aliasing, the jump there is much more subtle than SD to HD.

Old
  (#261)
ScoobyDooby
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Zotac 980TI & Acer X34
Processor: 2600K @ 4.6ghz & EK Pr360
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4
Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengance
Soundcard: Teac UD-501
PSU: EVGA Supernova 850W Gold+
Default 01-11-2017, 18:05 | posts: 6,950 | Location: BC, Canada

Quote:
4K eliminates aliasing for the most part, what's left is pretty minor, SMAA basically removes it completely at that point. 1080p is a jagged crawly mess and there's often not good AA choices and if there are they're crazy intensive. Also 4K makes everything look so sharp. As for 1440p my TV only does 1440p at 30hz and looks blurry because its pixel count doesn't divide evenly into 4K. This is the case for most (all?) 4K TVs. Basically it's like running SSAA 4x but with all the added extra detail and sharpness from actually having 4 times as many pixels.

If you haven't seen 4K games in action it's hard to understand why we have a hard on for it. It just looks so amazing. It's like the jump from SD to HD. Note that this isn't really the case for movies and TV because those things don't have to contend with aliasing, the jump there is much more subtle than SD to HD.
Thats the thing, I have seen 4k and played at that rest numerous times.. the discernible difference between it and an ultrawide 3440x1440 with SMAA just does not merit the performance hike and loss of frames IMO.

Again, from a gaming standpoint, this alone is confusing to me why any gamer would choose 4k YET. Once newer cards drop that can get 4k/60 as a minimum in 95% of games, I can see it become more widely sought after.

Up till now though, its just odd to me.

Old
  (#262)
wrathloki
Maha Guru

Default 01-11-2017, 18:15 | posts: 1,267 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDooby View Post
Thats the thing, I have seen 4k and played at that rest numerous times.. the discernible difference between it and an ultrawide 3440x1440 with SMAA just does not merit the performance hike and loss of frames IMO.

Again, from a gaming standpoint, this alone is confusing to me why any gamer would choose 4k YET. Once newer cards drop that can get 4k/60 as a minimum in 95% of games, I can see it become more widely sought after.

Up till now though, its just odd to me.
You can't buy a 1440p TV. I for one quite enjoy gaming on my 55" TV sitting back in a comfy chair. I do have a 1440p Gsync monitor but I only play competitive games and games that don't play well with a controller on that. Even with that there's still considerably more aliasing than 4K.

Old
  (#263)
fantaskarsef
Ancient Guru

Default 01-12-2017, 06:50 | posts: 6,536 | Location: Austria (no kangaroos here)

nvm, better not say anything to that, besides more leaning towards Scooby's lack of getting why everybody wants to go 4K.

Last edited by fantaskarsef; 01-12-2017 at 06:53.

Old
  (#264)
wrathloki
Maha Guru

Default 01-12-2017, 06:53 | posts: 1,267 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantaskarsef View Post
Gaming on a TV is console territory
Are you kidding me?

Old
  (#265)
fantaskarsef
Ancient Guru

Default 01-12-2017, 06:54 | posts: 6,536 | Location: Austria (no kangaroos here)

Quote:
Are you kidding me?
Nope. Might be because I play comp games and shooters mainly, but the only thing I play on my TV is Hearthstone.

Old
  (#266)
wrathloki
Maha Guru

Default 01-12-2017, 06:56 | posts: 1,267 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

If you're not playing something competitive or with complicated controls that necessitate mouse and keyboard why would you play a game hunched over a little monitor when you can sit more comfortably and play a game on your big ass tv instead? Not to mention that certain games play much better with a gamepad anyways. It's hardly console territory as no console can manage even close to the graphical fidelity of my PC.

Edit: Playing hearthstone on your TV? That's crazy. The only way that makes sense to play that is at the PC or on an iPad.

Last edited by wrathloki; 01-12-2017 at 07:08.

Old
  (#267)
fantaskarsef
Ancient Guru

Default 01-12-2017, 07:08 | posts: 6,536 | Location: Austria (no kangaroos here)

Quote:
If you're not playing something competitive or with complicated controls that necessitate mouse and keyboard why would you play a game hunched over a little monitor when you can sit more comfortably and play a game on your big ass tv instead? Not to mention that certain games play much better with a gamepad anyways. It's hardly console territory as no console can manage even close to the graphical fidelity of my PC.

Edit: playing hearthstone on your TV? You must be crazy. Only way that makes sense to play that is at the PC or on an iPad.
Well, as I said, I hardly play games that don't need precise methods of input. I do see how you can play console ports on there, but I'm not sure you need 4K with lacking graphical fidelity of most console ports.

What games are those you play on TV mainly? Because if you tell me I might get why you need 4K for that. Just trying to get why you fancy 4K TV gaming, it probably needs the right games to appeal too.

If you have the right thing to use, Hearthstone works great, I'm using a Logitech K400 thing (picture here). It works pretty much like a controller as it has a left click button at the top left corner of the "keyboard", right hand's thumb does not move a stick but does the trackpad.

Old
  (#268)
wrathloki
Maha Guru

Default 01-12-2017, 07:16 | posts: 1,267 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Quote:
Well, as I said, I hardly play games that don't need precise methods of input. I do see how you can play console ports on there, but I'm not sure you need 4K with lacking graphical fidelity of most console ports.

What games are those you play on TV mainly? Because if you tell me I might get why you need 4K for that. Just trying to get why you fancy 4K TV gaming, it probably needs the right games to appeal too.

If you have the right thing to use, Hearthstone works great, I'm using a Logitech K400 thing (picture here). It works pretty much like a controller as it has a left click button at the top left corner of the "keyboard", right hand's thumb does not move a stick but does the trackpad.
I play all kinds of things on the TV. RPGs, Single Player Shooters, Action/Adventure (game types such as Watch Dogs or the Arkham Games), Platformers. Certain RPGs I will play on my monitor, such as MMORPGs or games that arbitrarily feel better with M&K/B like Fallout or isometric RPGs such as Divinity: Original Sin or Diablo. Competitive shooters I play with M&K/B at the monitor (I will frequently play the single player campaign on the TV but the multiplayer aspect at the monitor with M&K/B). MOBAs and RTS I play with M&K/B at the monitor, although those 2 genres I play infrequently.

I'm of the opinion that any game--unless it's 8 bit art or something--looks way better at 4K. It's night and day to me. I just can't get past all the aliasing, even at 1440p.

Last edited by wrathloki; 01-12-2017 at 07:23.

Old
  (#269)
fantaskarsef
Ancient Guru

Default 01-12-2017, 07:29 | posts: 6,536 | Location: Austria (no kangaroos here)

Quote:
I play all kinds of things on the TV. RPGs, Single Player Shooters, Action/Adventure (game types such as Watch Dogs or the Arkham Games), Platformers. Certain RPGs I will play on my monitor, such as MMORPGs or games that arbitrarily feel better with M&K/B like Fallout or isometric RPGs such as Divinity: Original Sin or Diablo. Competitive shooters I play with M&K/B at the monitor (I will frequently play the single player campaign on the TV but the multiplayer aspect at the monitor with M&K/B). MOBAs and RTS I play with M&K/B at the monitor, although those 2 genres I play infrequently.

I'm of the opinion that any game--unless it's 8 bit art or something--looks way better at 4K. It's night and day to me. I just can't get past all the aliasing, even at 1440p.
Probably I should give the RPGs on the TV a chance, currently I'm playing Shadowrun games, might work on the TV too. But as my TV's 10 years old and "only" 1080/60 I probably won't get that 4K eye candy any time soon, maybe that's why I prefer my 1440p computer monitor. Might have to get that old Xbox controller hooked up again.

Old
  (#270)
wrathloki
Maha Guru

Default 01-12-2017, 07:34 | posts: 1,267 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Quote:
Probably I should give the RPGs on the TV a chance, currently I'm playing Shadowrun games, might work on the TV too. But as my TV's 10 years old and "only" 1080/60 I probably won't get that 4K eye candy any time soon, maybe that's why I prefer my 1440p computer monitor.
I mostly play my games at 1080p on my tv because of the lack of graphical power thus far, it's nice to tool around in them a bit at 4K though even if the frame rate is bad. It's still pretty great at 1080p on the TV though because it's blown up to a big screen. The Witcher 3 on my TV was glorious. I can see however that the picture quality on a 10 year old TV may not be great though, from a technological standpoint and because the picture quality has almost certainly faded after that long.

Old
  (#271)
JaxMacFL
Maha Guru

Videocard: Titan XP
Processor: i7-4820K @ 4.6GHz NH-D14
Mainboard: X79-DELUXE bios 4805
Memory: 16GB GSKILL 1866 8-9-9-24
Soundcard: SB ZxR with Logi 5.1 Z906
PSU: Cooler Master V1000
Default 01-12-2017, 23:00 | posts: 949 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida

Nevermind....

Last edited by JaxMacFL; 01-12-2017 at 23:07.

Old
  (#272)
Netherwind
Ancient Guru

Videocard: ASUS 1080 2114/11016MHz
Processor: Intel i7 6700K 4500MHz
Mainboard: MSI Z170 M5
Memory: Corsair 16GB Ven. 2666MHz
Soundcard: ALC1150 & Creative T20
PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850W
Default 01-13-2017, 09:51 | posts: 4,637 | Location: Sweden

Quote:

I recently got a 65" 4K TV and wanted to try out all games I could on it (for obvious reasons) but I still would never play shooters, MMOs or anything else that specifically requires M&Kb on a TV, even though I could play with my wireless M&Kb. Games that have good gamepad control is a totally different story, for example I finished Tomb Raider a few weeks ago sitting in my couch with a Xbox One Wireless controller. What a ride! I've also started playing games like Dragon Age Inquisition, Mad Max and why not the Batman games on the TV. Just as long as I get smooth 60fps I prefer sitting in front of the TV. Other games would be racing (e.g. Forza 3) and of course platforming games (Ori and the Blind Forest). Witcher 3 on the other hand runs much better on my normal screen (since the 1080 cant handle it in 4K).

Maybe you don't play adventure games, racing or platforming?

Old
  (#273)
wrathloki
Maha Guru

Default 01-13-2017, 10:01 | posts: 1,267 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netherwind View Post
Witcher 3 on the other hand runs much better on my normal screen (since the 1080 cant handle it in 4K.
You can still run it at 1080p on your 4K screen and then you're playing an awesome looking game on a giant screen which is a pretty great experience.

Old
  (#274)
fantaskarsef
Ancient Guru

Default 01-13-2017, 10:56 | posts: 6,536 | Location: Austria (no kangaroos here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netherwind View Post
Maybe you don't play adventure games, racing or platforming?
Yep that pretty much nails it. Haven't played any racing games in the past, platforming was also a thing I played on consoles but haven't really done since I've laid my PS3 to rest, and adventure games largely depends on which one.

Old
  (#275)
Geryboy
Maha Guru

Videocard: 1080 GameRock 2088/11000
Processor: i7 6700k 4.6GHz @ 1.29V
Mainboard: MSI Z170A M7
Memory: RipjawsV 3G 2x8 GB
Soundcard: SBZ->TV_Adap.3.0->OPN1
PSU: Seasonic SS-1250XM
Default 01-23-2017, 19:14 | posts: 2,271 | Location: Munich

so what's the latest news? will it be a cut down titan pascal? or something better with lower the price? for whatever reason they would do that lol.