Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Affiliates > MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion forum
MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion forum This forum is intended for MSI customers for questions on the AfterBurner Overclock Utility based off Rivatuner. In this section the users help each other out with answers as well as support staff from MSI.

Old
  (#76)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 09-09-2016, 19:16 | posts: 13,021 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodaxe View Post
im running 3x sapphire rx470 nitro+ oc 8gig cards when i run ab and switch to oc it only shows 2 of the 3 cards for oc the other stays normal setting when i apply any overclock
memory shows as set to 2150 but only one card has the settings correctly applied
im using the cards for mining and shows the hashrate increase for the one card ive tried
2 cards same problem it also seems to break wattman i can increase the memory in that
up to 2600 which is impossible this is my personal pc so it only mines at night
i use your ab 4.0 on my rig with 4 x 290 and works brilliantly
not sure what to try next
and btw great work unwinder
There are multiple different overclocking modes available in AB for AMD cards. Which one do you use? Unofficial? Default official? Default official with extended limits?
And please try to punctuate your next postings. It is hardly readable without it.

Alexey Nicolaychuk aka Unwinder, RivaTuner creator

Old
  (#77)
woodaxe

Videocard: sapphire 470x nitro +
Processor: intel i7
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: corsair gs800
Default 09-09-2016, 19:38 | posts: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unwinder View Post
There are multiple different overclocking modes available in AB for AMD cards. Which one do you use? Unofficial? Default official? Default official with extended limits?
And please try to punctuate your next postings. It is hardly readable without it.
Sorry about the punctuation.
I used extended official overclocking limits.
ive never used the unofficial limits.
im just trying to get the memory to 2150 or a little higher depending
on how stable the cards will be

drivers are 16.8.3
windows 7

Old
  (#78)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 09-09-2016, 19:44 | posts: 13,021 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Try to rewrite your previous post with more details and step by step please.

Old
  (#79)
woodaxe

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 09-09-2016, 21:29 | posts: 4

started with a fresh install off the drivers
1 i used ddu to remove all drivers
2 installed 16.8.3 full package
3 installed ab 4.3.0 beta 14
4 opened settings on ab turned off synchronize settings for similar gpus
5 disabled ulps and enabled extended official overclocking limits and rebooted
6 opened ab and moved the memory oc to 2150 on all 3 cards and adjusted fan speeds hit apply for each card.
started miner claymore duel mining software v 5,3 it shows hashing rate for each card,
gpu0 24.5m/hs gpu1 24.5m/hs gpu2 26,9m/hs with a setting of 2150 memory they should be hashing at around26.9m/hs which gpu2 is doing.
i then moved the memory to 2175 hit apply and no difference in the hashing speed.
7 stopped miner opened wattman on the memory bar it showed max setting i could obtain was 2600 which is wrong max on rx 470 is normally 2100.
they did show that the memory was set at the same settings in ab 2175.
8 i was unsure as to what to do next but decided to uninstall ab and reboot
9 after removing ab and reboot wattman still showed that i could clock the memory to 2600.
10 removed drivers again using ddu
11 installed drivers again but only the drivers no settings etc
12 on restart i noticed that the upls had kicked in as the lights went out on one card.
13 installed ab went into settings turned off sync other gpus
disabled ulps and enabled official overclocking settings rebooted
14 opened ab to adjust the memory oc on card 1 and 2 showed i could go passed the 2100 limit on card 3 showed as normal overclock card 3
was the card that went into sleep mode when windows booted the ulps had kicked in.
15 rebooted pc opened ab and still the same .
16 unistalled drivers using ddu
17 i removed card 3 completely
18 reinstalled the drivers complete package again.
19 ive noticed that with wattman installed that windows does not go into ulps
when rebooting the pc.
20 installed ab again
21 opened ab settings turned off sync with similar gpus
22 disabled ulps and enabled official overclocking limits and rebooted
23 opened ab adjusted the memory oc to 2150 enabled them then did the same with the fan settings
24 started miner.
25 gpu0 24.5m/hs gpu1 24,5m/hs so no overclocking showing
26 opened wattman and the memory settings showed max 2600 again.
27 at this point i gave up unistalled ab
28 unistalled the drivers
28 reinstalled drivers full package installed 3 card again
and used wattman for overclocking .
it could be something stupid that i am doing, any guidance or ideas are welcome and i hope im not wasting your valuable time.

Old
  (#80)
justaproblem

Videocard: idk
Processor: who cares
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: powerful
Default 09-09-2016, 21:34 | posts: 20

Quote:
Yes, the only one. What was the reason of re-inventing the wheel and composing your own triggers list instead of just copying provided working solution? First, you don't have to make a mess there and include both 32-bit and 64-bit libraries and furthermore putting executable file there make no sense at all. And second, no spaces are allowed between trigger filenames and comma separators.
And I was supposed to guess that? I don't see a "provided working solution" in that thread. Thanks

Old
  (#81)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 09-09-2016, 21:47 | posts: 13,021 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
5 disabled ulps and enabled extended official overclocking limits and rebooted
Disabling ULPS in AB requires doing it for each target GPU independently and desired GPU must be connected to windows desktop at this time. Absolutely the same scenario applies to extending overclocking limits. And it is reflected in the context help.
So in your case you effectively performed that for the GPUs connected to desktop only.

Quote:
7 stopped miner opened wattman on the memory bar it showed max setting i could obtain was 2600 which is wrong max on rx 470 is normally 2100.
Do you understand the meaning of settings enabled on the previous step? What were you trying to achieve with enabling extending official overclocking range? It is aimed to extend the maximum allowed clocks in any overclocking tools including AMD's official ones. So that's not wrong, that's absolutely expected.

Quote:
9 after removing ab and reboot wattman still showed that i could clock the memory to 2600.
And that's supposed to be so.

Old
  (#82)
woodaxe

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 09-10-2016, 00:40 | posts: 4

unwinder thank you very much yes its working well now
i did try reading up on how to use ab before i made this post
but must have missed something
gpu0 26.5 m/hs gpu1 26.5 m/hs gpu2 27.1 m/hs

many thanks again

Regarding RTSS 6.5.0
Old
  (#83)
TheRealKaldaien

Videocard: ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
Processor: Intel i7 3820
Mainboard: ASUS Rampage Extreme IV
Memory: 32 GiB Quad-Channel DDR3
Soundcard: Onkyo HT-S9300THX
PSU: 950 Watt
Post Regarding RTSS 6.5.0 - 09-10-2016, 03:00 | posts: 8 | Location: Cape Coral, FL

Thanks a million for this D3D12 update to RTSS, you have saved me from writing and maintaining my own text rendering system for all the APIs I work with.

I do have a few things to bring to your attention though:
  1. The shared memory header in the SDK references a hook header that is not included with RTSS
    • I had to comment out the last part of the RTSS_SHARED_MEMORY_OSD_ENTRY data structure because I have no matching typedef

2. Now that the API flags are 0x1, 0x2, 0x3, ... 0xn there seems to be a collision with the flag used to force RTSS to update OSD parameters
    Code:
    • #define OSDFLAG_UPDATED 0x00000001 #define APPFLAG_D3D9 0x00000004 #define APPFLAG_D3D9EX 0x00000005
      • If I OR OSDFLAG to tell RTSS to update color/scale/etc. what happens is the API flag momentarily changes...

(Example: Game is running D3D9 -- (dwFlags & APPFLAG_API_USAGE_MASK) == APPFLAG_D3D9)

dwFlags |= OSDFLAG_UPDATE causes (dwFlags & APPFLAG_API_USAGE_MASK) == APPFLAG_D3D9EX, but the game's still using D3D9 not D3D9Ex

3. The scale cannot be adjusted through Shared Memory when Raster3D font rendering is used, only Vector2D or Vector3D support this

4. In D3D9 mode, the limit for number of characters in Raster3D mode is lower than the other two.
    • Long before the 4096 character limit is reached, Raster3D text will vanish
    • That does not affect any API other than D3D9{Ex}.

If you are still reading this (sorry for length), can I request a feature?

By design, RTSS prints the last thing printed for each OSD entry. This text persists even after the process that printed the text exits. If an application that prints text happens to crash without cleaning up (zeroing) the text, stuff is stuck on screen permanently.
Would it be possible to add a field to the shared memory structure to tell RTSS to cleanup the OSD itself? Maybe when the process exits or after a certain amount of time passes without any new text?

Thanks again

Last edited by TheRealKaldaien; 09-10-2016 at 03:08.

Old
  (#84)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 09-10-2016, 06:12 | posts: 13,021 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealKaldaien View Post
[*] The shared memory header in the SDK references a hook header that is not included with RTSS
Yep, that's definitively not supposed to be that way, thanks for reporting. I'll add RTSSHooksTypes header to SDK as well.

Quote:
[*] Now that the API flags are 0x1, 0x2, 0x3, ... 0xn there seems to be a collision with the flag used to force RTSS to update OSD parameters
You're confusing two different bitmasks. APPFLAG_ values apply to application specific flags bitmasks and should use APPFLAG_PROFILE_UPDATE_REQUESTED to notify RTSS about external application profile update, OSDFLAG_ values apply to old deprecated dwOSDFlags field in early layouts of shared memory.

Quote:
[*] The scale cannot be adjusted through Shared Memory when Raster3D font rendering is used, only Vector2D or Vector3D support this
That sounds like a result of improper profile update notification (i.e. wrong OSDFLAG_UPDATED flag usage). Scaling vector fonts kind of works because no actual D3D resources recreation is required in this case, but raster font requires new texture to be generated and created so OSD needs to be notified properly.

Quote:
[*] In D3D9 mode, the limit for number of characters in Raster3D mode is lower than the other two.
Cannot comment it without investigation, but too busy to do it in nearest few weeks, sorry.

Quote:
Would it be possible to add a field to the shared memory structure to tell RTSS to cleanup the OSD itself? Maybe when the process exits or after a certain amount of time passes without any new text?
I'll think about it, but no promises.

Old
  (#85)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 09-12-2016, 18:05 | posts: 13,021 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Guys, I'd like to test the following build of RTSS 6.5.0 on SLI/CF systems in DX12 applications using explicit multi-GPU rendering mode (3DMark TimeSpy an Rise of Tomb Raider). As you noticed, currently OSD doesn't support such applications and prevent them from starting when OSD is enabled. I tired to add detection of explicit multi-GPU DX12 rendering pattern and auto disable OSD usage if such unsupported environment is detected. So I'd like to verify the implementation. I expect that TimeSpy and ROTR will be able to start on such systems now while RTSS is running with no OSD displayed. OSD should become visible as soon as you disable SLI/CF of explicit multi-GPU usage from application side.

http://office.guru3d.com/afterburner...5Build8502.rar

Old
  (#86)
Odellot
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI 1080TI SLI PG348Q
Processor: i7 6950x @4.4ghz - H240-X
Mainboard: Asus ROG Strix X99
Memory: GSkill RGB - 3200/32GB
Soundcard: Phoebus - M50w / ATH900X
PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1200w
Default 09-12-2016, 22:11 | posts: 655 | Location: Philippines

Thanks Unwinder..Just installed the beta RTSS..I can now run DX12 like Rise of the Tomb Raider without Disabling SLI or Afterburner albeit no OSD..

Old
  (#87)
GalaxyMaster

Videocard: MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8G
Processor: i7 2600@4.2GHz
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: CM G650M
Default 09-13-2016, 11:40 | posts: 2

While using Afterburner for my RX 480 I have found a bug in profile hotkeys.

I have multiple profiles set up with different voltage offsets and bound to hotkeys. When I am in game and switch to a profile with a higher voltage than my current one, it works as expected. But when I switch to a profile with lower voltage than my current one, it applies all settings except the voltage, which stays the same. If I then press the hotkey for the profile again it changes the voltage this time.

I would also like to know if you have plans to add support for the 'memory voltage' present in wattman (AFAIK this is the memory controller voltage)? I found that it definitely helps with stability on memory overclocks, and it would be nice to use it with Afterburner.

Thanks!

Old
  (#88)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 09-13-2016, 12:41 | posts: 13,021 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odellot View Post
Thanks Unwinder..Just installed the beta RTSS..I can now run DX12 like Rise of the Tomb Raider without Disabling SLI or Afterburner albeit no OSD..
Thanks for confirming, does it display properly in other DX12 apps (which do not support explicit mGPU mode) and does it start displaying in ROTTR after disabling SLI on your system?

Old
  (#89)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 09-13-2016, 12:45 | posts: 13,021 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyMaster View Post
While using Afterburner for my RX 480 I have found a bug in profile hotkeys.

I have multiple profiles set up with different voltage offsets and bound to hotkeys. When I am in game and switch to a profile with a higher voltage than my current one, it works as expected. But when I switch to a profile with lower voltage than my current one, it applies all settings except the voltage, which stays the same. If I then press the hotkey for the profile again it changes the voltage this time.

I would also like to know if you have plans to add support for the 'memory voltage' present in wattman (AFAIK this is the memory controller voltage)? I found that it definitely helps with stability on memory overclocks, and it would be nice to use it with Afterburner.

Thanks!
That's not a bug in profile hotkeys. That's specifics of voltage offset implementation on AMD SMC side. The offset doesn't get applied immediately, it is applied on the next VID change.
On cloning Wattman's "Memory voltage": no, it is not planned to bring it to AB, sorry.

Old
  (#90)
GalaxyMaster

Videocard: MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8G
Processor: i7 2600@4.2GHz
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: CM G650M
Default 09-13-2016, 13:12 | posts: 2

Quote:
On cloning Wattman's "Memory voltage": no, it is not planned to bring it to AB, sorry.
Darn. I also tried setting the memory voltage in wattman while using afterburner, but that setting gets erased every reboot, regardless of the "erase autosaved startup settings".

Old
  (#91)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 09-16-2016, 00:15 | posts: 13,021 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Guys, I'd like to test the following build of RTSS 6.5.0 on SLI/CF systems in DX12 applications using explicit multi-GPU rendering mode (3DMark TimeSpy and Rise of Tomb Raider). As you noticed, currently OSD doesn't support such applications and prevent them from starting when OSD is enabled. I tired to add detection of explicit multi-GPU DX12 rendering pattern and auto disable OSD usage if such unsupported environment is detected. So I'd like to verify the implementation. I expect that TimeSpy and ROTR will be able to start on such systems now while RTSS is running with no OSD displayed. OSD should become visible as soon as you disable SLI/CF of explicit multi-GPU usage from application side.
One more experimental build of RTSS 6.5.0 to be tested on SLI/CF systems in DX12 applications using explicit multi-GPU rendering mode (3DMark TimeSpy and Rise of Tomb Raider). I expect to see OSD partially visible on SLI/CF now: the OSD should be rendered when the frame is being processed by GPU1 only, so in case of AFR usage you'll see OSD displayed on odd frames only (it will result in OSD flicker effect). I'd like to see confirmations of such expected OSD behaviors from SLI/CF system owners.

http://office.guru3d.com/afterburner...5Build8511.rar

Old
  (#92)
Odellot
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI 1080TI SLI PG348Q
Processor: i7 6950x @4.4ghz - H240-X
Mainboard: Asus ROG Strix X99
Memory: GSkill RGB - 3200/32GB
Soundcard: Phoebus - M50w / ATH900X
PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1200w
Default 09-16-2016, 19:05 | posts: 655 | Location: Philippines

Thanks Unwinder..Tested the build8511 RTSS..I played Rise of The Tomb Raider..OSD doesn't crash the game anymore...The Flickering OSD is noticeable on loading screens but in game can't notice the flickering of the OSD although the text seems to be lighter..Like not bold..

Old
  (#93)
Prophet
Master Guru

Videocard: Msi 680 Gtx Twin Frozr
Processor: Intel Sb@4.7
Mainboard: Asus P8Z68V Progen3
Memory: 12 Gb Kingston
Soundcard: Asus Essence STX|Akg k701
PSU: Corsair 1200w
Default 09-17-2016, 12:59 | posts: 775 | Location: Heaven

Thanks Unwinder.

Old
  (#94)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 09-19-2016, 06:59 | posts: 13,021 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odellot View Post
Thanks Unwinder..Tested the build8511 RTSS..I played Rise of The Tomb Raider..OSD doesn't crash the game anymore...The Flickering OSD is noticeable on loading screens but in game can't notice the flickering of the OSD although the text seems to be lighter..Like not bold..
Thanks for testing, that's exactly what I've expected and wanted to confirm.

Old
  (#95)
Haldi
Master Guru

Videocard: R9-290 CF
Processor: I7-3930k
Mainboard: Asus P7X79 Pro
Memory: 40gb Kingston
Soundcard:
PSU: Enermax MaxRevo 1500W
Default 09-19-2016, 19:31 | posts: 227

Quote:
One more experimental build of RTSS 6.5.0 to be tested on SLI/CF systems in DX12 applications using explicit multi-GPU rendering mode (3DMark TimeSpy and Rise of Tomb Raider). I expect to see OSD partially visible on SLI/CF now: the OSD should be rendered when the frame is being processed by GPU1 only, so in case of AFR usage you'll see OSD displayed on odd frames only (it will result in OSD flicker effect). I'd like to see confirmations of such expected OSD behaviors from SLI/CF system owners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEf7nndGNGM

And i'm off repairing my computer... mainboard issues... that blackscreen at the end of the video was not intentional. -.-

Old
  (#96)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 09-20-2016, 07:57 | posts: 13,021 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldi View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEf7nndGNGM

And i'm off repairing my computer... mainboard issues... that blackscreen at the end of the video was not intentional. -.-
Thanks for one more confirmation, that's what I absolutely expected to see. So now explicit mGPU AFR usage pattern detection, separete codepath for mGPU systems and forcible rendering on the primary GPU are confirmed to be working. The last (and most difficult) step would be correctly duplicating resources for all joined GPUs performing mGPU rendering and drawing OSD in different GPU's frame buffer on each frame. MSI is going to provide me both SLI and CF DX12 setups so I guess I'll be able to compete that task with those systems rather easy once it arrive.

P.S. Considering that DX12 multi-GPU rendering path is drastically different comparing to single GPU one I guess I'll reflect it somehow in the OSD, most likely display "DX12mGPU" or "DX12AFR" instead of "DX12" next to framerate.

Last edited by Unwinder; 09-20-2016 at 08:31.

Old
  (#97)
Haldi
Master Guru

Videocard: R9-290 CF
Processor: I7-3930k
Mainboard: Asus P7X79 Pro
Memory: 40gb Kingston
Soundcard:
PSU: Enermax MaxRevo 1500W
Default 09-20-2016, 14:51 | posts: 227

Quote:
P.S. Considering that DX12 multi-GPU rendering path is drastically different comparing to single GPU one I guess I'll reflect it somehow in the OSD, most likely display "DX12mGPU" or "DX12AFR" instead of "DX12" next to framerate.
That would be really nice.

So i assume the Multi-GPU rendering is also responsible for this white frame flickering in this video? (P.S It's the new one with OSD )
https://youtu.be/QYrrY0QuvKc

Because Deus Ex Mankind Divided DX12 Beta recorded just fine without this in SingleGPU.

For Video recording will DX12mGPU profit or does it still have the same disatvantages as on DX11 with Multiple GPUs?

Oh, and did anything change with Video recording?
If you compare these two Videos (one above and this older one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKrA_XcFGGA) Both have this horrible white flickering which gives a headache, but it looks like the new one with OSD hase some extreme stutter issues, it looks like the video is playing backwards for half a second.
Especially easy to spot after 1:06

Old
  (#98)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 09-20-2016, 15:07 | posts: 13,021 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Of course video recording also needs separate path for DX12 mGPU. And no, I didn't change anything in that area for mGPU systems yet since public beta.

Old
  (#99)
pimp_gimp
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SLI
Processor: Core i7-3770k 4.5Ghz
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V Premium
Memory: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z
Soundcard: Creative SoundBlaster Z
PSU: Corsair AX1200
Default 09-21-2016, 01:01 | posts: 6,570 | Location: Tacoma, Washington

Quote:

I have also tested this build with Rise of the Tomb Raider, and the OSD works as you expected in MultiGPU mode under DirectX 12.

EDIT: Upon further testing RTSS also only seems to work if you leave the NV control panel setting to "Nvidia Recommended" with SLI enabled. If Single-GPU, AFR1, or AFR2 modes are forced via the Nvidia Control Panel the game refuses to load (at least for me it behaves in this manner).

Last edited by pimp_gimp; 09-21-2016 at 05:59.

Old
  (#100)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 09-21-2016, 07:36 | posts: 13,021 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp_gimp View Post
DIT: Upon further testing RTSS also only seems to work if you leave the NV control panel setting to "Nvidia Recommended" with SLI enabled. If Single-GPU, AFR1, or AFR2 modes are forced via the Nvidia Control Panel the game refuses to load (at least for me it behaves in this manner).
That doesn't depend on RTSS. That's a game/driver behavior and it is actually really bad idea to force anything multi-GPU related for DX12 applications providing own explicit multi-GPU support. The only reason why SLI/CF needs to be enabled in the control panel for such games is to see multiple linked GPUs (or nodes in DX12 terms) for application usage. No multi-GPU processing is done at driver level in this case, the application is fully implementing AFR and utilizing all nodes on its own. Attempt to force the driver to override any kind of multi-GPU processing will break application functionality.