Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Affiliates > MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion forum
MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion forum This forum is intended for MSI customers for questions on the AfterBurner Overclock Utility based off Rivatuner. In this section the users help each other out with answers as well as support staff from MSI.

AB 4.1.1 - No AMD VCE encoder ?
Old
  (#1)
MaXMaini
Member Guru

Videocard: Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X
Processor: Intel i5-2500K @ 4.4Ghz
Mainboard: Asus P8Z68-V Gen3
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Titanium
PSU: Corsair HX750
Default AB 4.1.1 - No AMD VCE encoder ? - 10-19-2015, 19:58 | posts: 47 | Location: FR

Hi all,
in the past I've been using AMD VCE encoder in AB for video capture and I've just realized that in 4.1.1 I no longer have the option to select it: I only see "diasbled" and "QSV.dll" in the options for "external plugin".

Am I missing something ?

MaX.

Old
  (#2)
gedo
Master Guru

Videocard: XFX 280X DD 3GB
Processor: Intel Core i5-4690K @4.3
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 3
Memory: 8GB DDR3 2133 CL9 Ares
Soundcard: Asus Xonar DX + ATH-AD700
PSU: Seasonic G-550
Default 10-19-2015, 21:28 | posts: 225 | Location: Finland

Thread "Possible ideas for future Afterburner functionality upgrades", page 22

Post #548 and onwards.

Old
  (#3)
MaXMaini
Member Guru

Videocard: Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X
Processor: Intel i5-2500K @ 4.4Ghz
Mainboard: Asus P8Z68-V Gen3
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Titanium
PSU: Corsair HX750
Default 10-19-2015, 21:39 | posts: 47 | Location: FR

Thanks gedo ! At least now I know it's not something I did wrong.

Too bad no news since the time the9quad notified, VCE was working very fine for my needs. I'll have to revert to QuickSync (which is a bit more cumbersome).

MaX.

Old
  (#4)
AMDMatt
Master Guru

Videocard: 4x Fury X
Processor: i7 5960X @4.9Ghz (Bench)
Mainboard: Asus Rampage Extreme IV
Memory: 16GB 3200Mhz GSkill CL14
Soundcard: Logitech G930
PSU: 2000 Watt SuperFlower PSU
Default 10-20-2015, 08:03 | posts: 463 | Location: Technical Support Engineer @AMDCare

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXMaini View Post
Hi all,
in the past I've been using AMD VCE encoder in AB for video capture and I've just realized that in 4.1.1 I no longer have the option to select it: I only see "diasbled" and "QSV.dll" in the options for "external plugin".

Am I missing something ?

MaX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gedo View Post
AVT is EOL and is no longer present in any WHQL Catalyst drivers after 14.12, it should be present in 15.6 Beta too. If you wish to use it with newer drivers and possibly enable the functionality you'll need to grab the AVT installer package from one of the older drivers and install it separately.

Last edited by AMDMatt; 10-20-2015 at 09:32. Reason: Corrected typo

Old
  (#5)
the9quad
Maha Guru

Videocard: 1080ti MSI Gaming-X
Processor: i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth X79
Memory: 32GB G.SkillTridentX 2400
Soundcard: ASUS XONAR DGX/Sennheiser
PSU: PC Power & Cooling 1200W
Default 10-20-2015, 08:26 | posts: 837 | Location: Carolina Beach, North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDMatt View Post
VCE is EOL and is no longer present in any WHQL Catalyst drivers after 14.12, it should be present in 15.6 Beta too. If you wish to use it with newer drivers and possibly enable the functionality in Afterburner you'll need to grab the AVT installer package from one of the older drivers and install it separately.
What???? I would find it hard to believe that AMD would EOL a feature/hardware they just recently upgraded (4K VCE 3.0 for the 285's and Fury). Isn't VCE an ASIC btw? Would they just disable it? Disable something they put in a brand new card (furyx) taking up considerable die space? Doesn't make sense to me, but I might be wrong.

ANYWAY the good news is VCE still works and you don't need to install the AVT package from old drivers..

OpenEncode support however, was removed, but... VCE still works. You just have to call it with AMF now instead of OpenEncode . (See below pics for proof of VCE working with latest software and latest beta cats.)

VCE still works in Playclaw, OBS, and X-split, and APP still works in Bandicam and Action! btw

Although VCE and APP were temporarily broke after the 15.6 beta and 14.12 whql, as soon as everyone switched to AMF instead of OpenEncode it was all back again.... Although at worse performance than with OpenEncode.

Unwinder said last week the next version of RTSS will have support for hardware encoding again, and should be due real soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unwinder View Post
New RTSS with hardware accelerated encoding via AMF on AMD graphics cards is expected on the next week.

VCE working using the latest beta cats:

as you can see VCE is still working fine.

X-split

OBS

Playclaw

bandicam

Action!

Last edited by the9quad; 10-20-2015 at 09:29.

Old
  (#6)
AMDMatt
Master Guru

Videocard: 4x Fury X
Processor: i7 5960X @4.9Ghz (Bench)
Mainboard: Asus Rampage Extreme IV
Memory: 16GB 3200Mhz GSkill CL14
Soundcard: Logitech G930
PSU: 2000 Watt SuperFlower PSU
Default 10-20-2015, 09:31 | posts: 463 | Location: Technical Support Engineer @AMDCare

AVT was what i meant to say not VCE.

Old
  (#7)
the9quad
Maha Guru

Videocard: 1080ti MSI Gaming-X
Processor: i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth X79
Memory: 32GB G.SkillTridentX 2400
Soundcard: ASUS XONAR DGX/Sennheiser
PSU: PC Power & Cooling 1200W
Default 10-20-2015, 09:38 | posts: 837 | Location: Carolina Beach, North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDMatt View Post
AVT was what i meant to say not VCE.
ah lol, you had me scared.

Old
  (#8)
Andy_K
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX 960 OC
Processor: AMD FX6300
Mainboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0
Memory: Crucial 1600 - 8GB
Soundcard: Realtek ALC892 (7.1)
PSU: Corsair CX430M
Default 10-20-2015, 10:16 | posts: 292 | Location: Germany

The old method is EOL, but there is a new method for HW-accelerated encoding and unwinder already stated:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unwinder View Post
New RTSS with hardware accelerated encoding via AMF on AMD graphics cards is expected on the next week.
So, we AMD users just wait and look forward to next release.

Old
  (#9)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 10-20-2015, 15:21 | posts: 13,021 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by the9quad View Post
Although VCE and APP were temporarily broke after the 15.6 beta and 14.12 whql, as soon as everyone switched to AMF instead of OpenEncode it was all back again.... Although at worse performance than with OpenEncode.
Surprisingly, I actually see higher VCE encoding performance with AMF comparing to OVE. Both plugins (old VCE.dll working via OVE and new VCEAMF.dll working via AMF) will be included in distributive so those who want to compare apples to apples will be able to compare performance of both implementations on pre-15.7 drivers.
Also, starting from RTSS 6.4.0 source code of all hardware accelerated encoding plugins (QuickSync plugin, NVENC plugin and both AMD VCE plugins) will be included in SDK and supplied with RTSS, so those who want to customize the encoding settings a bit deeper or want to try to optimize it further will be able to recompile them.

Alexey Nicolaychuk aka Unwinder, RivaTuner creator

Last edited by Unwinder; 10-21-2015 at 09:36.

Old
  (#10)
Andy_K
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX 960 OC
Processor: AMD FX6300
Mainboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0
Memory: Crucial 1600 - 8GB
Soundcard: Realtek ALC892 (7.1)
PSU: Corsair CX430M
Default 10-21-2015, 08:02 | posts: 292 | Location: Germany

wow! Great move, unwinder.

Old
  (#11)
brroleg

Videocard: AMD Radeon HD7700
Processor: AMD Athlon
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: 300W
Default 01-16-2017, 16:57 | posts: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXMaini View Post
Hi all,

Am I missing something ?

MaX.
I just now faced exact same problem.
But i dont have even "QSV.dll", only "diasbled" in the options for "external plugin".
Using AB 4.3

Interesting - if i delete AB 4.3 and install some older AB version (4.0) - option "QSV.dll" shows up in "external plugin" (but still no option for VCEAMF.dll or any other).

Also this is on freshly installed Win7, with latest AMD radeon drivers (16.12.2)

Help please, i already spent several hours googling trying to find solution.