Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Affiliates > MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion forum
MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion forum This forum is intended for MSI customers for questions on the AfterBurner Overclock Utility based off Rivatuner. In this section the users help each other out with answers as well as support staff from MSI.

Old
  (#51)
Sanhime

Videocard: 2 ATI Radeon HD 5970 CFX
Processor: Intel i7 920 @ 3.6
Mainboard: ASRock x58 Extreme
Memory: Corsair 6GB XMS 1600
Soundcard: on-board
PSU: 850W Corsiar
Default 05-10-2010, 21:37 | posts: 7

Ability to create profiles for individual games and apps that includes forcing 3D settings (D3D override?) like AA, AF, CFX, SLI, and fan controls.

Old
  (#52)
Celeras
Banned

Videocard: eVGA GTX780 ACX SC
Processor: 3570k @ 4.6ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
Memory: 8GB Gskill DDR3 1600
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair HX850
Default 05-11-2010, 21:39 | posts: 253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unwinder View Post
Unreal, it does work if you follow the instruction properly. I've provided full path to .cfg file not just for fun, there are _two_ MSIAfterburner.cfg files, first one is a template with default settings in the root folder, second one is an actual settings storage located in .\Profiles subfolder. You're editing wrong one.
You've been a complete ******* anytime anybody has asked for you anything, what's the deal? Get off your high horse. I was nothing but courteous in my reply.

Now, again, IT DOESN'T WORK. I'm not an idiot, and I can follow your instructions just fine. I don't know why you ASS-U-ME I went to the wrong file location. I didn't. Hell, there isn't even a "ScreenCaptureHotkey" line in the other location... its impossible to screw up. I went and changed the keybind in the exact place you specified. Reopened the file to make sure it saved, and it did. I hit Prnt Screen, no screenshot was created in my specified folder. I then hit Ctrl+Insert, which was the keybind before I made any changes. And bam, screenshot.

Here is my PSR log to prove it, open in Internet Explorer if you lack the browser capability for .mht: http://www.razorbites.com/celeras/Pr...00511_1600.mht

Take your time apologizing and try to settle down. This isn't a big deal, I was just letting you know your fix didn't work and thanking you for your efforts.

Old
  (#53)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 05-12-2010, 07:04 | posts: 13,006 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeras View Post
You've been a complete ******* anytime anybody has asked for you anything, what's the deal? Get off your high horse. I was nothing but courteous in my reply.

Now, again, IT DOESN'T WORK. I'm not an idiot, and I can follow your instructions just fine. I don't know why you ASS-U-ME I went to the wrong file location. I didn't. Hell, there isn't even a "ScreenCaptureHotkey" line in the other location... its impossible to screw up. I went and changed the keybind in the exact place you specified. Reopened the file to make sure it saved, and it did. I hit Prnt Screen, no screenshot was created in my specified folder. I then hit Ctrl+Insert, which was the keybind before I made any changes. And bam, screenshot.

Here is my PSR log to prove it, open in Internet Explorer if you lack the browser capability for .mht: http://www.razorbites.com/celeras/Pr...00511_1600.mht

Take your time apologizing and try to settle down. This isn't a big deal, I was just letting you know your fix didn't work and thanking you for your efforts.
It does work, but your understanding completely doesn't. Try to use a bit of logic to understand that if you're editing the hotkey binding in .cfg files manually and the application is still using and previously defined binding, then you're definitively screwed on some step. And editing .cfg while application is running is really "smart" move, how do you expect it to pick up new settings, genius?
And no, you don't have to take your time appologizing for aggressive stupidity. You're anyway in my ignore list both here and in EVGA Precision forums since now.

Alexey Nicolaychuk aka Unwinder, RivaTuner creator

Old
  (#54)
Celeras
Banned

Videocard: eVGA GTX780 ACX SC
Processor: 3570k @ 4.6ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
Memory: 8GB Gskill DDR3 1600
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair HX850
Default 05-13-2010, 00:56 | posts: 253

Yeah, whatever. I followed your steps, it didn't work. You say I screwed up somehow, so I post a step-by-step PSR proving I did exactly what you asked, and that it doesn't work. Yet its still my fault somehow?

Ridiculous, keep trying to save face over something so trivial. I've never met a more pig-headed dev in my life.

Old
  (#55)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 05-13-2010, 07:13 | posts: 13,006 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Yeah, whatever. I followed your steps, it didn't work. You say I screwed up somehow, so I post a step-by-step PSR proving I did exactly what you asked, and that it doesn't work. Yet its still my fault somehow?

Ridiculous, keep trying to save face over something so trivial. I've never met a more pig-headed dev in my life.
[ignore mode off]
If you're so stupid that you don't realize that you're NOT editing the file being in use by application and overwritten by it on application exit and prefer to throw insults because of your own stupidity, you have to search for different place. Go back to EVGA forum, troll. This place is not for you.
[/ignore mode off]

Old
  (#56)
didamangi

Videocard: Palit GTX 1070 Jetstream
Processor: i7-3770k@4.5 GHz
Mainboard: MSI Z77 MPOWER
Memory: 16 GB 2400 MHz
Soundcard: FiiO E10K/ATH-MSR7GM
PSU: Seasonic S12-II 520W
Default 05-13-2010, 12:18 | posts: 19 | Location: Indonesia

Quote:

I just tried it and it work perfectly, you're doing it wrong...

Last edited by didamangi; 05-13-2010 at 12:21.

Old
  (#57)
Svein_Skogen
Maha Guru

Videocard: 2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
Processor: Intel i7-950
Mainboard: Asus P6X58D-E
Memory: KVR1333D3N9K3, 24GB
Soundcard: Creative X-FI Titanium
PSU: Chieftec CFT-1200G-DF
Default 05-13-2010, 12:25 | posts: 1,230 | Location: Skedsmokorset, Norway

Unwinder:
Have you given any thought to the idea of making a "target temperature loaded 100%" and "target temperature idle" method for controlling the gpu fans? As I said, I can probaly pseudocode the logic, but I haven't touched compiler nor assembler since 1996, so codifying it in c/asm would take a little longer.

//Svein

Old
  (#58)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 05-13-2010, 14:29 | posts: 13,006 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svein_Skogen View Post
Unwinder:
Have you given any thought to the idea of making a "target temperature loaded 100%" and "target temperature idle" method for controlling the gpu fans? As I said, I can probaly pseudocode the logic, but I haven't touched compiler nor assembler since 1996, so codifying it in c/asm would take a little longer.

//Svein
Not in Afterburner, sorry. Target temperature based fan control approach is exactly what is used as default automatic hardware fan control algorithm on many modern graphics cards (e.g. GTX 200 and GTX 400 series). And if you prefer such fan control way and understand what you want to acheive, then you can always use RT to customize operating temeprature via direct low-level access to PWM controller. And talking about adding low-level fan control to Afterburner, it is really not the best functionality to be given to average Joe. Trivial temperature->fan speed curve is more than enough for average user needs.

Old
  (#59)
Svein_Skogen
Maha Guru

Videocard: 2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
Processor: Intel i7-950
Mainboard: Asus P6X58D-E
Memory: KVR1333D3N9K3, 24GB
Soundcard: Creative X-FI Titanium
PSU: Chieftec CFT-1200G-DF
Default 05-13-2010, 14:48 | posts: 1,230 | Location: Skedsmokorset, Norway

It seems to be something like that set for the ATI 5850 as well. But with a target somewhere near 85 degrees C, and for a card that ejects only half the air outside the case (the other half on the inside), this makes for a perfect case-warmer. With some curve-tweaking in afterburner it's quite easy to keep the card well below 70 at all times (even clocked to 800/1200), but alas there is no option to delay spin-down of the fans (and thus getting to a lower temperature faster). Even adding "delay fan spindown X seconds from temperature drop" would make for a huge improvement (and would give a less variable fanspeed meaning less variance in pitch, meaning your ears would "get used to" and filter out the sound).

As for rivatuner, I simply haven't had any luck getting it to play nice with my system (Asus EAH5850 card on a P45-based mainboard), but Afterburner works splendidly.

//Svein

Old
  (#60)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 05-13-2010, 15:09 | posts: 13,006 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
It seems to be something like that set for the ATI 5850 as well.
Nope, 5800 family uses more simple form of hardware fan controller, similar to curve provided by Afterburner but just with 1 segment (i.e. 2 control nodes).

Quote:
but alas there is no option to delay spin-down of the fans (and thus getting to a lower temperature faster). Even adding "delay fan spindown X seconds from temperature drop" would make for a huge improvement (and would give a less variable fanspeed meaning less variance in pitch, meaning your ears would "get used to" and filter out the sound).
Hehe
Some form of delay for spinning fan control down is exactly what I planned to add to Afterburner v2.0.0 this summer (ETA is around Jule). There will be an option allowing you to customize temeprature hysteresis and adjust it within 0-15C range (0 is used by default). Defining non-zero temeprature hysteresis value results in the following changes in automatic fan speed control algorithm:

- Last temperature value causing fan speed to change is being latched.
- When temperature is decreasing no fan speed changes are not allowed while the diffference between latched and current temperature values is less than hysteresis values.

Attached screenshot with emulated temperature sine changes illustrates the result of defining 10C temperature hysteresis on 1-to-1 temperature->fan speed curve.

Quote:
As for rivatuner, I simply haven't had any luck getting it to play nice with my system (Asus EAH5850 card on a P45-based mainboard), but Afterburner works splendidly.
The reason is simple: there is no public RT version with 5800 sereies support yet.

Last edited by Unwinder; 05-13-2010 at 15:11.

Old
  (#61)
Mussels

Videocard: Sapphire 5870 1GB
Processor: Xeon E3120 @ 3.8GHz
Mainboard: DFI x48 T2R
Memory: 8GB OCZ reapers 800MHz C4
Soundcard: X Mystique + z5500's
PSU: corsair TX750
Default 05-18-2010, 05:30 | posts: 8 | Location: Australia

show CPU usage in the graphs/OSD

Old
  (#62)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 05-18-2010, 07:04 | posts: 13,006 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mussels View Post
show CPU usage in the graphs/OSD
Non-VGA monitoring = no go, sorry. Peek on the first page.

Old
  (#63)
Mussels

Default 05-18-2010, 07:06 | posts: 8 | Location: Australia

Quote:
Non-VGA monitoring = no go, sorry. Peek on the first page.
makes me sad, but thanks unwinder.

Last edited by Mussels; 05-18-2010 at 07:10.

Old
  (#64)
Mussels

Default 05-21-2010, 07:03 | posts: 8 | Location: Australia

another one then:

When will DX11 overlay support be added? ATM we dont get the stats overlay in DX11

Old
  (#65)
giogio1

Videocard: Zotac GTX 480
Processor: Q9400 2.66
Mainboard: ASUS P5k
Memory: OCZ HPC DDR2 PC2-9200 4GB
Soundcard: X-FI Fatality pro
PSU: ENERMAX Liberty 620W
Default 05-23-2010, 09:51 | posts: 12

Ability to lower clocks further for Nvidia GTX480 videocard, so I can set a 2D profile at lower clock to bypass the driver's limitation of NVIDIA DualView (in Single View i have 2D clock at core 51 shader 101 and mem 135, in Dual View
405-810-1840). For my use the Dual View is essential but the 2D clock is to high (temp too high and TDP too).

Thank you for your attention Unwinder, sorry for my bad english.

Old
  (#66)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 05-23-2010, 10:40 | posts: 13,006 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mussels View Post
another one then:

When will DX11 overlay support be added? ATM we dont get the stats overlay in DX11
A bad joke again? Try to peek into 1.6.0 changes list.

Old
  (#67)
Mussels

Default 05-23-2010, 12:36 | posts: 8 | Location: Australia

Quote:
A bad joke again? Try to peek into 1.6.0 changes list.
will do... i'm new to afterburner, so i havent learned everything yet.

Old
  (#68)
Toasty27

Videocard: XFX 9600GSO 512MB
Processor: Core i5 750
Mainboard: GA-P55-UD4P
Memory: 2x1GB Corsair XMS3 1333
Soundcard:
PSU: Thermaltake 430Watt
Default 06-05-2010, 08:21 | posts: 1

I'd like to see a stress testing feature built into Kombustor. Something that works like the FPS counter (i.e. has a current reading, an average, and then a total number of artifacts) but for artifacts. It'd be incredibly useful to know exactly how stable you OC is without having to run 3DMark, and hope that it doesn't crash.

That's first and foremost on my list.

[EDIT] Now that I think about it, I'd really like to see an option for increasing the max frequency available in the Afterburner window. I've got a 9600GSO that runs perfectly stable with the RAM overclocked from 400MHz to 522MHz (It's DDR. Can't believe EVGA crippled this card with that kind of RAM), and I know it can go higher. This card could really benefit from increased bandwidth.

Last edited by Toasty27; 06-09-2010 at 05:57.

GTX 465 enhanced compatibility
Old
  (#69)
dakotablues

Videocard: EVGA GTX 5803gb
Processor: FX-6100@4.6
Mainboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990fxa
Memory: G Skill(2x8)@2133-CAS8
Soundcard:
PSU: Coolmax bronze 900w
Default GTX 465 enhanced compatibility - 06-11-2010, 21:30 | posts: 31 | Location: vancouver, WA.

I don't know if it is just me, but I have a new Palit GTX 465 and stock voltage is 1087mv. Any adjustment above that mark, and it resets to the stock(1087mv) voltage?! I can undervolt it with no problem, though. I know initial 465 compatibility was implemented, but I was hoping more could be done to resolve the issue I have experienced. Unless, of course, you think it is a hardware lock/limit on the voltage settings. If so, I have pretty decent 3d overclocks on stock voltages.

Last edited by dakotablues; 06-11-2010 at 21:46.

Old
  (#70)
ScaryClown
Master Guru

Videocard: AMD R9 290 CFX
Processor: i5-2500k calculator speed
Mainboard: MSI P67-G45-B3
Memory: KingstonHyperX1600 8Gb
Soundcard: Ears and mouth
PSU: Silverstone 700w
Default 06-11-2010, 22:15 | posts: 682 | Location: Far away from Dublin

Both Afterburner and Riva Tuner are great applications.
Unwinder thank you for great work!
I have been using RT since 2005 and im quite happy with it.

If you can please implement Afterburner sidebar gadget.

Just one more thing:I noticed one thing while OCing my card(using Afterburner),when i start increasing GPU core and voltage i set the fan to 100%.When in the next step i increase Core frequency(or voltage) and i hit apply the fan returns to Auto and i hear fan noise reducing.The fan bar still shows its on 100%.So i have to change fan to 99% hit apply,and then change it to 100%.
Its like that for every step.
Its not a big thing.
Other than that everything works just fine,and frankly both RT and Afterburner need no changes.
They are great as it is.
Thanks!

Last edited by ScaryClown; 06-22-2010 at 14:19.

Old
  (#71)
japamd
Maha Guru

Videocard: AMD Radeon HD 7970Ghz
Processor: Intel
Mainboard: EVGA
Memory: Kingston 4x4 GB
Soundcard:
PSU: XFX 850W BE
Default 06-13-2010, 03:54 | posts: 2,450 | Location: Brazil

Feature request: command line options to reset default clocks and to get current clocks/voltage settings. And if possible, an option to set clocks and voltage

Something like this

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\MSIAfterburner.exe -reset ==> to reset default clocks

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\MSIAfterburner.exe -getsettings ==> output a string with current clocks and voltage (e.g. 725000/1000000/1049)

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\MSIAfterburner.exe -set 725000 1000000 1049 (of course MSI Afterburner will set only values within allowed range)

Last edited by japamd; 06-13-2010 at 03:58.

Old
  (#72)
TurboMan
Member Guru

Videocard: Asus 1080 Ti ROG Strix OC
Processor: Intel i7 6700K
Mainboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero
Memory: 4x8 G.SKILL 3200
Soundcard: Fiio E10/DT770pro/ATHM50x
PSU: EVGA Supernova 1200W P2
Default 06-16-2010, 18:07 | posts: 139

Hey. Can I request we have a small circle or some kind of indication which shows the profile # under the green light at the bottom left corner. I have to keep hoovering around my profiles just to figure out which profile number im using currently. Thank you.

Old
  (#73)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 06-17-2010, 11:44 | posts: 13,006 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryClown View Post
If you can please implement Afterburner sidebar gadget.
I already did my best to get it implemented. A few versions ago I have created all software interfaces allowing third party developers to create a gadget for MSI Afterburner. I'm unable to develop the gadget myself because I'm rather busy and gadget is really time consuming and rather boring thing from implementation point of view. However, I found a developer interested in creating it, he even created working skeleton for MSI Afterburner gadget. But it looks like MSI lost any interest to a gadget project. And I cannot even think about asking my developer to invest his work time into commercical project freely, sorry. That sounds absolutely unfair for me. So no development budget for it and no interest from a company -no gadget, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryClown View Post
Just one more thing:I noticed one thing while OCing my card(using Afterburner),when i start increasing GPU core and voltage i set the fan to 100%.When in the next step i increase Core frequency(or voltage) and i hit apply the fan returns to Auto and i hear fan noise reducing.The fan bar still shows its on 100%.So i have to change fan to 99% hit apply,and then change it to 100%.
Applying the clocks via undocumented AMD overclocking interface (the one removing overdrive limits) results in resetting fan speed. That AMD driver's issue was nailed down during 2900XT (!!!) announce and reported to AMD, the fix is still not available.

Old
  (#74)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 06-17-2010, 11:47 | posts: 13,006 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboMan View Post
Hey. Can I request we have a small circle or some kind of indication which shows the profile # under the green light at the bottom left corner. I have to keep hoovering around my profiles just to figure out which profile number im using currently. Thank you.
Nope. Most people do not understand that _last_applied_ profile and current system settings (which can be altered by other tools) are absolutely not the same things. It will result in nothing but misunderstanding and the next wave of false bugreports.

Old
  (#75)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 06-17-2010, 11:49 | posts: 13,006 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by japamd View Post
Feature request: command line options to reset default clocks and to get current clocks/voltage settings. And if possible, an option to set clocks and voltage

Something like this

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\MSIAfterburner.exe -reset ==> to reset default clocks

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\MSIAfterburner.exe -getsettings ==> output a string with current clocks and voltage (e.g. 725000/1000000/1049)

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\MSIAfterburner.exe -set 725000 1000000 1049 (of course MSI Afterburner will set only values within allowed range)

See no problems with command line resetting the settings, but if I were you I'd rather use two profiles for 2D and 3D states. Negative on the rest two things, command line is not the best place to have these things.