Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Affiliates > MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion forum
MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion forum This forum is intended for MSI customers for questions on the AfterBurner Overclock Utility based off Rivatuner. In this section the users help each other out with answers as well as support staff from MSI.

Old
  (#2626)
xixou
Member Guru

Videocard: inno3d 1070 3x in sli
Processor: I7 5930K
Mainboard: Asus X99 deluxe
Memory: 8 x 4 GB
Soundcard: none
PSU: 870W Thermaltake
Default 03-19-2017, 09:30 | posts: 107 | Location: Belgium

And BTW, while synthesis is running and place an route done for the chip,
the max temp is 125C or 150C to have a stable system at clock speed X, so plenty of margin for the 93C ^^
In the past, the titan x maxwell thottled a lot at 93C (2D clock speed, minimum voltage).

Deus Ex MD and afterburner crahsing to desktop
Old
  (#2627)
moheban79
Master Guru

Videocard: XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
Processor: Intel 920 D0 @ 3.8 Ghz
Mainboard: EVGA Classified 759
Memory: 6gb DDR3 7-7-7-20
Soundcard: SB Xfi Titanium
PSU: PC Power Cooling 1200ESA
Default Deus Ex MD and afterburner crahsing to desktop - 03-19-2017, 18:08 | posts: 193 | Location: worcester, ma

Anyone getting Deus Ex Mankind Divided crashing in DX12 mode when Afterburner is running? DX11 mode is fine however. This is the error I get:

"?ui_text_pc_only_d3d_deivce_problems " " (0x887A002B : UNKNOWN) "

Using Afterburner ver 4.30.

Old
  (#2628)
famich
Member Guru

Videocard: GTX 780TI SLI@1250
Processor: 2600K@5000
Mainboard: ASROCK OC FORMULA
Memory: 16GB GSKILL 2133
Soundcard: XFi
PSU: Seasonic 1250W
Default 03-19-2017, 19:33 | posts: 84 | Location: CZ ****EU********

I want to ask- is there going to be a proper overclocking support for 1080TI in AFB?
I have tried the suggested workaround, but my EVGA refuses to be properly recognized.
No even small overvolting is possible.

I might be called a dumbass not to be able to edit that database but still: when is the new version of AFB due ? Thanks .

Old
  (#2629)
JonasBeckman
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Sapphire R9 Fury OC
Processor: i7-3930K @ 4.1Ghz
Mainboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Soundcard: Asus ROG Phoebus
PSU: Corsair AX 1200W
Default 03-19-2017, 21:18 | posts: 12,877 | Location: Sweden

The topic for RivaTuner 6.7.0 (7.0.0 now.) now also includes Afterburner 4.4.0 which among other things adds support for the 1080Ti GPU model.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread....90#post5409390

It's a beta though so you might want to wait for the official release as in non-beta version of Afterburner 4.4.0 and RivaTuner 7.0.0 before you switch to this new version.
(Current Afterburner 4.4.0 is at beta 5 and RivaTuner Statistics Server 7.0.0 at beta 9)

Last edited by JonasBeckman; 03-19-2017 at 21:23.

Fixed Deus Ex
Old
  (#2630)
moheban79
Master Guru

Videocard: XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
Processor: Intel 920 D0 @ 3.8 Ghz
Mainboard: EVGA Classified 759
Memory: 6gb DDR3 7-7-7-20
Soundcard: SB Xfi Titanium
PSU: PC Power Cooling 1200ESA
Default Fixed Deus Ex - 03-20-2017, 01:46 | posts: 193 | Location: worcester, ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasBeckman View Post
The topic for RivaTuner 6.7.0 (7.0.0 now.) now also includes Afterburner 4.4.0 which among other things adds support for the 1080Ti GPU model.

It's a beta though so you might want to wait for the official release as in non-beta version of Afterburner 4.4.0 and RivaTuner 7.0.0 before you switch to this new version.
(Current Afterburner 4.4.0 is at beta 5 and RivaTuner Statistics Server 7.0.0 at beta 9)
Afterburner 4.40 fixed my Deus Ex MD overlay desktop crash issue. Works as before. Got my vote.

Old
  (#2631)
famich
Member Guru

Default 03-20-2017, 12:39 | posts: 84 | Location: CZ ****EU********

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasBeckman View Post

Thanks, will give it a try...

AB SDK technical question on the mutex name
Old
  (#2632)
PoppaGray

Videocard: NVIDIA GE Force GTX 770M
Processor: Intel core I7
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Laptop
Default AB SDK technical question on the mutex name - 03-21-2017, 03:39 | posts: 2

I have a question for Unwinder. I am using the AB SDK and have everything working great, except I cannot acquire a handle on the SDK Sample Program Mutex name, "global\\Access_MACMSharedMemory". Is that still the correct Mutex name? The error I get is that no file or handle with that name exists. I am testing my SDK program on Windows 8.1. Everything else works fine. I can map and read the shared memory no problem and can update flags etc and AB accepts the changes, but I am using a mutex that I create and own which of course will not work for the purpose of synchronization with AB that is needed. Thanks for your time to suggest how I shoudl proceed. --- PoppaGray.

Old
  (#2633)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 03-21-2017, 06:55 | posts: 12,862 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaGray View Post
I have a question for Unwinder. I am using the AB SDK and have everything working great, except I cannot acquire a handle on the SDK Sample Program Mutex name, "global\\Access_MACMSharedMemory". Is that still the correct Mutex name? The error I get is that no file or handle with that name exists. I am testing my SDK program on Windows 8.1. Everything else works fine. I can map and read the shared memory no problem and can update flags etc and AB accepts the changes, but I am using a mutex that I create and own which of course will not work for the purpose of synchronization with AB that is needed. Thanks for your time to suggest how I shoudl proceed. --- PoppaGray.
Yes, this mutex name is still in use. The mutex is created dynamically and exists only during accessing shared memory. So you should use the same pattern: dynamically create the mutex and wait for it, then release and close it when you finish accessing the memory. To verify that such synchronization pattern works, you may try to edit MACMSharedMemorySample from SDK and modify it the following way for example. Find CMACMSharedMemorySampleDlg:ollCommand, which is used for waiting for submitted command completion once you apply new settings:

Code:
DWORD CMACMSharedMemorySampleDlg::PollCommand()
{
	HANDLE hMutex	= CreateMutex(NULL, FALSE, "Global\\Access_MACMSharedMemory");
	if (hMutex)
		WaitForSingleObject(hMutex, INFINITE);

DWORD dwCommand = 0xFFFFFFFF;

if (m_pMapAddr)
	{
		LPMACM_SHARED_MEMORY_HEADER	lpHeader = (LPMACM_SHARED_MEMORY_HEADER)m_pMapAddr;

if (lpHeader->dwSignature == 'MACM')
			dwCommand = lpHeader->dwCommand;
	}

if (hMutex)
	{
		ReleaseMutex(hMutex);
		CloseHandle(hMutex);
	}

return dwCommand;
}
Then try to add some artificial wait to it, e.g. make it beep once per second in infinite loop until you hold <Ctrl> pressed:

Code:
DWORD CMACMSharedMemorySampleDlg::PollCommand()
{
	HANDLE hMutex	= CreateMutex(NULL, FALSE, "Global\\Access_MACMSharedMemory");
	if (hMutex)
		WaitForSingleObject(hMutex, INFINITE);

while (GetAsyncKeyState(VK_CONTROL) >= 0)
	{
		MessageBeep(0);

Sleep(1000);
	}

DWORD dwCommand = 0xFFFFFFFF;

if (m_pMapAddr)
	{
		LPMACM_SHARED_MEMORY_HEADER	lpHeader = (LPMACM_SHARED_MEMORY_HEADER)m_pMapAddr;

if (lpHeader->dwSignature == 'MACM')
			dwCommand = lpHeader->dwCommand;
	}

if (hMutex)
	{
		ReleaseMutex(hMutex);
		CloseHandle(hMutex);
	}

return dwCommand;
}
Then launch MSI AB, launch this modified SDK sample and see what's happening. Once you press "Apply" in you modified SDK sample, it will start beeping and waiting for you to press <Ctrl> inside the code covered by synchronization mutex, MSI Afterburner process (which is also waiting for the same mutex) will become frozen. MSI AB will unfroze once you press and hold <Ctrl> pressed in your sample application.

Alexey Nicolaychuk aka Unwinder, RivaTuner creator

Last edited by Unwinder; 03-21-2017 at 07:04.

Cannot create the mutex with the given nam
Old
  (#2634)
PoppaGray

Videocard: NVIDIA GE Force GTX 770M
Processor: Intel core I7
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Laptop
Default Cannot create the mutex with the given nam - 03-21-2017, 20:05 | posts: 2

Hi Alexey. Thank you very much for posting a detailed reply in short order. Unforunately, my problem is that I cannot actually create or open a mutex with the given name. For some reason on Windows 8.1, I receive the following error no matter how I try to creaate or get a handle on the mutex.

"The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. "

OOPS! I have solved my own problem. Of course the double backslash in C++ and C# represents a single backslash. For my sins, my Son is doing a project in VB.Net and asked for my help. Not so familiar now with VB.Net, which does NOT have the same escape characters as in C## and C++. A single quote is what is intended and that actually works fine now in my program! Many thanks for your time and your response did indeed lead me in the correct direction.

Cheers! PoppaGray.

Old
  (#2635)
RealNC
Master Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K
Mainboard: MSI P67A-C43
Memory: DDR3 16GB
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, JBL Spot
PSU: Corsair HX650
Default 03-22-2017, 04:50 | posts: 632

A feature suggestion:

Would it be possible to add "FreeSync" and "G-Sync" status to the OSD? (So that it's easier to tell if freesync/gsync is currently active.) Preferably this could be added to the same line as the FPS indicator. So when disabled, it just shows as normal:

100FPS, 10ms

But when enabled:

(G-Sync) 100FPS, 10ms

Or something like that.

Old
  (#2636)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 03-22-2017, 07:07 | posts: 12,862 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaGray View Post
Hi Alexey. Thank you very much for posting a detailed reply in short order. Unforunately, my problem is that I cannot actually create or open a mutex with the given name. For some reason on Windows 8.1, I receive the following error no matter how I try to creaate or get a handle on the mutex.

"The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. "

OOPS! I have solved my own problem. Of course the double backslash in C++ and C# represents a single backslash. For my sins, my Son is doing a project in VB.Net and asked for my help. Not so familiar now with VB.Net, which does NOT have the same escape characters as in C## and C++. A single quote is what is intended and that actually works fine now in my program! Many thanks for your time and your response did indeed lead me in the correct direction.

Cheers! PoppaGray.
Congrats, glad that you've got it working. And thanks for interesting question, it is really rare thing here.

Old
  (#2637)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 03-22-2017, 07:07 | posts: 12,862 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
A feature suggestion:

Would it be possible to add "FreeSync" and "G-Sync" status to the OSD? (So that it's easier to tell if freesync/gsync is currently active.) Preferably this could be added to the same line as the FPS indicator. So when disabled, it just shows as normal:

100FPS, 10ms

But when enabled:

(G-Sync) 100FPS, 10ms

Or something like that.
There is no easy way to get real status of it.

Old
  (#2638)
RealNC
Master Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K
Mainboard: MSI P67A-C43
Memory: DDR3 16GB
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, JBL Spot
PSU: Corsair HX650
Default 03-22-2017, 07:41 | posts: 632

That's a bummer.

If you have access to nvidia's and/or amd's beta lists though, you could drop a feature request there for nvidia to include this in nvapi (or amd's equivalent.)

Old
  (#2639)
nixon

Videocard: GTX570
Processor: 2500k
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair 650
Default 03-23-2017, 03:45 | posts: 7

What is the file location for the settings of how afterburner is configured? I'm trying to troubleshoot what might cause the recording and prerecord to stop responding after alt tabbing and tabbing back in. The overlay display hotkey still seems to work and the application doesn't appear to be crashing, just all forms of recording stop functioning. So I'd like to try resetting everything.

If this is the wrong place to ask please direct me to the correct thread or subforum.

Old
  (#2640)
Andy_K
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX 960 OC
Processor: AMD FX6300
Mainboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0
Memory: Crucial 1600 - 8GB
Soundcard: Realtek ALC892 (7.1)
PSU: Corsair CX430M
Default 03-23-2017, 13:41 | posts: 269 | Location: Germany

I would like to ask, if it was possible to add a functionality to MSI AB.

When the info dialog is open and you look at the detected 3D apps, it would be nice, if there was a button or something to exclude the selected/clicked app in RTSS. Or to say, to create an app profile with detection level set to none, just with one click.

That way on could exclude false apps faster and with more ease.

Would be great,
Andy

Old
  (#2641)
gedo
Master Guru

Videocard: XFX 280X DD 3GB
Processor: Intel Core i5-4690K @4.3
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 3
Memory: 8GB DDR3 2133 CL9 Ares
Soundcard: Asus Xonar DX + ATH-AD700
PSU: Seasonic G-550
Default 03-24-2017, 04:14 | posts: 219 | Location: Finland

For RTSS application profiles, it would be nice if there was a way to have a per-setting "inherit" value that would make the value be inherited from the Global profile. Currently you have to delete and recreate the game profile to get the changed values from Global. (Or go thru the trouble of manually making the same adjustments to each game profile.)

Old
  (#2642)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 03-24-2017, 08:24 | posts: 12,862 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post
I would like to ask, if it was possible to add a functionality to MSI AB.

When the info dialog is open and you look at the detected 3D apps, it would be nice, if there was a button or something to exclude the selected/clicked app in RTSS. Or to say, to create an app profile with detection level set to none, just with one click.

That way on could exclude false apps faster and with more ease.

Would be great,
Andy
AB is not the best place for such feature, but it can be quite useful for RTSS itself.
I'll add keyboard shortcuts for <Add profile> button in RTSS to simplify this process. Holding <Ctrl> while clicking <Add profile> in RTSS will add profiles for all currently running 3D applications instead of browsing for profile executable. Holding <Ctrl> + <Alt> while clicking <Add profile> in RTSS will do the same and additionally set application detection level to "none" for all created profiles, i.e. effectively add all currently running 3D processes to exclusions list.

Edit:

I used slightly different approach, it is available in RTSS 7.0.0 beta 14 now:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=215

Last edited by Unwinder; 03-24-2017 at 17:30.

Old
  (#2643)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 03-24-2017, 08:56 | posts: 12,862 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedo View Post
For RTSS application profiles, it would be nice if there was a way to have a per-setting "inherit" value that would make the value be inherited from the Global profile. Currently you have to delete and recreate the game profile to get the changed values from Global. (Or go thru the trouble of manually making the same adjustments to each game profile.)
Settings are inherited from Global profile if they are not specified in application specific profile.

Old
  (#2644)
gedo
Master Guru

Videocard: XFX 280X DD 3GB
Processor: Intel Core i5-4690K @4.3
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 3
Memory: 8GB DDR3 2133 CL9 Ares
Soundcard: Asus Xonar DX + ATH-AD700
PSU: Seasonic G-550
Default 03-24-2017, 10:18 | posts: 219 | Location: Finland

The problem is that the inheritance happens at the time of creation and doesn't follow the Global setting if it's changed.

Also, even if you remove the applicable line from the game profile file, once you change anything in the profile in RTSS properties, all missing settings are re-inherited from Global and written to the file.

I realize this isn't a huge problem, it just causes extra fiddling every time I want to change how my OSD looks. I'm glad I don't use wildly varying settings for different games.

Last edited by gedo; 03-24-2017 at 10:21.

Old
  (#2645)
famich
Member Guru

Default 03-25-2017, 08:53 | posts: 84 | Location: CZ ****EU********

Hello, is it just me, but I am not getting the AFB overlay in Watch Dogs 2 any more. Before I had to start the game, then AL TAB outta it , hit AFB , apply the O profiel and the overly was there. Now after the DLC., not any more. AM I doing something wrong or is it a game with RTSS together? Thanks for the imput.

Old
  (#2646)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 03-25-2017, 10:56 | posts: 12,862 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Only official versions of RTSS are whitelisted by EAC and it was discussed a lot of times.

Old
  (#2647)
famich
Member Guru

Default 03-25-2017, 15:09 | posts: 84 | Location: CZ ****EU********

Thanks, must have missed it.

Old
  (#2648)
Kulagin

Videocard: Nvidia MSi
Processor: Skylake@4.6gHz(OC-BCLK)
Mainboard: ASRock Extreme4 OC@145mHz
Memory: Team DDR4@3000mHz 1x8GB
Soundcard: XFi Titanium&Kave Mod 6.0
PSU: Chieftec 700W GPS-700A8
Default 03-26-2017, 09:27 | posts: 23 | Location: Virgo Supercluster

On the download page I can't download 4.2.0 version.

4.3.0 and 4.2.0 links lead to 4.3.0 download, while 4.1.0, for example, correctly leads to 4.1.0 download:
http://i.imgur.com/S2IVgUU.gifv

Am I doing something wrong or that's a bug with links, or maybe it's a 4.2.0 version, someone just named an archive as 4.3.0?

Last edited by Kulagin; 03-26-2017 at 09:30.

Old
  (#2649)
Kulagin

Videocard: Nvidia MSi
Processor: Skylake@4.6gHz(OC-BCLK)
Mainboard: ASRock Extreme4 OC@145mHz
Memory: Team DDR4@3000mHz 1x8GB
Soundcard: XFi Titanium&Kave Mod 6.0
PSU: Chieftec 700W GPS-700A8
Default 03-26-2017, 09:37 | posts: 23 | Location: Virgo Supercluster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unwinder View Post
Only official versions of RTSS are whitelisted by EAC and it was discussed a lot of times.
I have a problem myself ATM. Afterburner doesn't want to make screenshots in Squad(using EAC) after new update(game version updated, as well as EAC version).
I can see overlay but when I press screenshot button nothing happens. Tested it in other games and in other games screen capture function works.
When I tested it just now I used 4.3.0 + 6.5.0 versions. Usually after new updates(of the game or EAC) it helps to start using different versions of Afterburner and RTSS. So I reinstall MSI and RTSS after every big update of the game or EAC .

In the game version before previous one I used to use 4.1.1+6.3.0. Then in previous version of the game it stopped working so I switched to 4.3.0+6.5.0, now after update I can't make screenshots...

PS Just wanted to point this out, I know it isn't a problem of Afterburner but a problem of game developers and EAC developers to make a proper support and not to block screen capturing software...

Last edited by Kulagin; 03-26-2017 at 09:45.