Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Want to talk about anything Hardware related? This is the place, you can discuss it here.

Old
  (#251)
vbetts
Don Vincenzo

Videocard: Nvidia Geforce GTX 960M
Processor: Intel Core i7 6500U
Mainboard: Asus k501
Memory: 8gb DDR4
Soundcard: onboard
PSU: onboard
Default 07-01-2009, 18:17 | posts: 12,767 | Location: Toledo Ohio

Speedstep really works well in Mac. Almost too well, to the point where sometimes it won't clock back up. Apple has a way of limiting performance, like the hard drives in the macbook series don't run at sata II, but only about sata 1-1.5 in the range.

Anyways, to the point. I've been interested in seeing how well osx86 performs in my phenom 550 machine. And to say, it works great.

AMD Phenom II X2 550 @ 3.6 ghz
ASRock A-Live XFire e-sata2
4096 mb ddr2 800
Geforce 9800GTX+
Iatkos v7 distro+Voodoo 9.7.0 kernel

I've ported some of my games using the latest cider from the Sims 3 launcher, I've ported Call of Duty 4 so far, and right now working on Gears of War. Call of Duty 4 performs as well, if not better than when it's running on my PC. Had a couple issues with punkbuster, but fixed them. I've converted some of my games as well, such as Quake 4, Doom 3, Quake Wars, and COD2. So far it's all working great.

Last edited by vbetts; 07-01-2009 at 18:21.

Old
  (#252)
DSK
Banned

Videocard: HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
Processor: E6300 @ 4Ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte - GA-EP43T-UD3L
Memory: Sector Five @ 1333CAS7
Soundcard: Realtek 81xx
PSU: Silverstone 500w
Default 07-07-2009, 19:40 | posts: 17,926 | Location: Coldwells,UK

First look: Mac OS X Snow Leopard

http://cnettv.cnet.com/mac-os-x-snow...-50074022.html

Old
  (#253)
runab0ut

Videocard: Inno3d 8800GT 512mb
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 07-10-2009, 07:23 | posts: 3

How do I properly update my Macbook 9400 drivers to the latest? Last time i've downloaded Nvidia's (laptop) drivers, badly hosed my Bootcamp install.

Should I get the laptopvideo2go versions?

Old
  (#254)
deltatux
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K @4.5
Mainboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H
Memory: Patriot 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600
Soundcard: Auzentech X-Raider 7.1
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA B1 750W
Default 07-10-2009, 09:04 | posts: 19,047 | Location: Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbetts View Post
Speedstep really works well in Mac. Almost too well, to the point where sometimes it won't clock back up. Apple has a way of limiting performance, like the hard drives in the macbook series don't run at sata II, but only about sata 1-1.5 in the range.

Anyways, to the point. I've been interested in seeing how well osx86 performs in my phenom 550 machine. And to say, it works great.

AMD Phenom II X2 550 @ 3.6 ghz
ASRock A-Live XFire e-sata2
4096 mb ddr2 800
Geforce 9800GTX+
Iatkos v7 distro+Voodoo 9.7.0 kernel

I've ported some of my games using the latest cider from the Sims 3 launcher, I've ported Call of Duty 4 so far, and right now working on Gears of War. Call of Duty 4 performs as well, if not better than when it's running on my PC. Had a couple issues with punkbuster, but fixed them. I've converted some of my games as well, such as Quake 4, Doom 3, Quake Wars, and COD2. So far it's all working great.
My Mac runs everything in SATAII speed, no slowdowns here.

Why the heck are you using Cider>.>"? Doom 3 and Quake 4 has native Mac binaries.

Use WINE, which is basically what Cider is based on. It's free and works with many Windows applications on the UNIX platforms.

deltatux

Old
  (#255)
vbetts
Don Vincenzo

Default 07-12-2009, 15:43 | posts: 12,767 | Location: Toledo Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltatux View Post
My Mac runs everything in SATAII speed, no slowdowns here.

Why the heck are you using Cider>.>"? Doom 3 and Quake 4 has native Mac binaries.

Use WINE, which is basically what Cider is based on. It's free and works with many Windows applications on the UNIX platforms.

deltatux
Doom 3 and Quake 4 also need a cd to play the game with. Which, I couldn't find any crack available for no cd under mac.

As for Wine, Wine doesn't fully work as well as Cider, even more reason is because it's not working 100% on Mac. With Cider, it's always being updated in someway, and easy to manage, as well as it works with my games at windows speed.

But it seems Apple fixed the Sata I speeds.
http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...acbook_3gbits/

Old
  (#256)
deltatux
Ancient Guru

Default 07-12-2009, 18:55 | posts: 19,047 | Location: Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Doom 3 and Quake 4 also need a cd to play the game with. Which, I couldn't find any crack available for no cd under mac.

As for Wine, Wine doesn't fully work as well as Cider, even more reason is because it's not working 100% on Mac. With Cider, it's always being updated in someway, and easy to manage, as well as it works with my games at windows speed.

But it seems Apple fixed the Sata I speeds.
http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...acbook_3gbits/
*sigh* you pirated the games?

As for the SATA speeds, that issue only affects the newer Macbooks, no wonder why mine wasn't affected.

I've got the original aluminium Macbook and they never released a firmware update so I'm good.

deltatux

Old
  (#257)
vbetts
Don Vincenzo

Default 07-12-2009, 19:36 | posts: 12,767 | Location: Toledo Ohio

No, I bought the games. But when you convert games like Doom 3 or Quake 4 from windows to Mac, it's like directly installing the game from the game disk. Which, these games want the disk inside the computer to play it. And the PC disk won't work as a substitute.

Old
  (#258)
deltatux
Ancient Guru

Default 07-12-2009, 19:41 | posts: 19,047 | Location: Toronto, Canada

Quote:
No, I bought the games. But when you convert games like Doom 3 or Quake 4 from windows to Mac, it's like directly installing the game from the game disk. Which, these games want the disk inside the computer to play it. And the PC disk won't work as a substitute.
hmmm... i c

but for new games, I'd rather you buy the native versions, they run better than if you run it through Cider.

deltatux

Old
  (#259)
vbetts
Don Vincenzo

Default 07-12-2009, 19:54 | posts: 12,767 | Location: Toledo Ohio

You know Call of Duty 4 is still $50 for mac new? Where as, it's only around $20-$30 for PC new? I'm sorry, but I'm not paying $50 for a mac game when half of the time it's wrapped in cider that you can make yourself. Doom 3, quake 4, and a lot of games based on ID tech engines don't even have anything different from the PC versions, aside from not having an .exe file. Data files are the same, structure is the same, same thing. Big thing that gets me too, a lot of pc games ported to mac don't connect to PC servers. Call of Duty 4 is probably one of the only ones I know of that does.

Last edited by vbetts; 07-12-2009 at 19:57.

Old
  (#260)
deltatux
Ancient Guru

Default 07-12-2009, 20:05 | posts: 19,047 | Location: Toronto, Canada

Quote:
You know Call of Duty 4 is still $50 for mac new? Where as, it's only around $20-$30 for PC new? I'm sorry, but I'm not paying $50 for a mac game when half of the time it's wrapped in cider that you can make yourself. Doom 3, quake 4, and a lot of games based on ID tech engines don't even have anything different from the PC versions, aside from not having an .exe file. Data files are the same, structure is the same, same thing. Big thing that gets me too, a lot of pc games ported to mac don't connect to PC servers. Call of Duty 4 is probably one of the only ones I know of that does.
weird ... funny thing is that these games work on Linux ... I'm surprised you didn't go with the Linux route instead. The Linux versions of Doom 3 and Quake 4 works with the Windows discs unlike the Mac versions as they are ported by id themselves and not Aspyr.

Cider is based on Cedega which was originally a Linux product in the first place.

deltatux

Old
  (#261)
vbetts
Don Vincenzo

Default 07-23-2009, 21:35 | posts: 12,767 | Location: Toledo Ohio

I've never really been interested in Linux though. Mac Os X is probably the only unix OS that I like to work with.

Interested in how you got the Phenom II 550 to work
Old
  (#262)
Bansaku
Member Guru

Videocard: CFX 7950HD 3GB 1100/1400
Processor: i7 3770k 4.5GHz
Mainboard: GA-Z77X-UD5H
Memory: Viper Xtreme 1866 16GB
Soundcard: iFi iDAC micro
PSU: OCZ ZT 750W
Default Interested in how you got the Phenom II 550 to work - 08-21-2009, 05:18 | posts: 122 | Location: Edmonton

I have been trying to install ANY Voodoo kernel 9.5.0 and above on my Phenom II 550 with no luck. I have a perfectly working system updated to 10.5.8 with an Athlonx2 7850BE. However, when I updated my cpu to the 550 (did not need to update bios), I get Kernel panics as soon as the screen goes grey with the Apple logo regardless if it's a DVD install or boot partition. Did you use iAtkos v7 to install or do something special? Anything with a default kernel Voodoo 9.5.0 seems to kernel panic. 9.4.0 Modbin or StageXNU work, but I cannot sleep, restart, update via downloader, and most importantly, boot in 64-bit mode. BTW I am not a noob; out of about a dozen AMD/Intel PCs I have turned into a 100% working Hakintosh, simply upgrading the CPU in my system has been extremely frustrating. The fact that you good folk here have current MacOS installed on your Phenom II systems has brought me new encouragement.

Old
  (#263)
vbetts
Don Vincenzo

Default 08-26-2009, 08:42 | posts: 12,767 | Location: Toledo Ohio

Well, you can try 2 things.

1.Install from a distro you have with 10.5.5 or lower. Those distros most likely will have more than the voodoo kernel. After that, update the mac to 10.5.8 if you want to, and then install the new 9.8.0 kernel based off the voodoo kernel.
IF that doesn't work
2.Create a boot123 cd with the chameleon boot loader. Also include the kexts, kernel, and smbios and anything else you need in a folder called extras. Now for this route, you need a retail copy of leopard.

If you don't choose to do that, then try booting in legacy mode and see what that does for you. As for 64-bit, I don't advise 64-bit with amd, as it's nothing but emulation right now.

Old
  (#264)
vbetts
Don Vincenzo

Default 10-24-2009, 04:10 | posts: 12,767 | Location: Toledo Ohio

Horray! New kernel for Snow leopard that works with amd!

Old
  (#265)
furian76

Videocard: ATI 3870 512Mb
Processor: AMD X264 Dual Core 4800
Mainboard: MSI K9N Platinum
Memory: 2Gb(1Gb paired)1066SLI DDR2
Soundcard: On board
PSU: Unknown
Default 11-02-2009, 06:29 | posts: 9 | Location: Michigan, USA

Man, that was a long read. Interesting though. I actually think I might try installing OSx on my PC now.

But I do have a question though, it semi answered in the FAQ page, but not really. Has anyone done a side by side comparison of relatively similar machines? Like the current Mac Pro Dual Chip versus a single i975 both using Nvidia 295 or what ever is latest. with 6-12 gigs or ram. or even the older model comparisons. I know we have older model PC's that can easily be compared to any mac. But I can not find any reviews that look anything like the reviews and write ups that you guys do for PC's here.

I am trying to find in which categories each machine peaks now days, or are they pretty much identical since they use similar hardware. But seeing as how the mac uses Xeons, do they have an advantage? Would it be more advantageous to get a Mac Pro Dual chip and install Windows 7 on it?

Old
  (#266)
ibitato
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 4870X2+4870 1GB on S T260
Processor: C2Q Q9450@3.6 1.384v
Mainboard: Asus Rampage Formula
Memory: 4x2GB@1080 5.5.5.15 5:6
Soundcard: Supreme FX II HD
PSU: Tagan TG900-BZ PipeRock
Default 11-02-2009, 10:09 | posts: 4,958 | Location: Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by furian76 View Post
Man, that was a long read. Interesting though. I actually think I might try installing OSx on my PC now.

But I do have a question though, it semi answered in the FAQ page, but not really. Has anyone done a side by side comparison of relatively similar machines? Like the current Mac Pro Dual Chip versus a single i975 both using Nvidia 295 or what ever is latest. with 6-12 gigs or ram. or even the older model comparisons. I know we have older model PC's that can easily be compared to any mac. But I can not find any reviews that look anything like the reviews and write ups that you guys do for PC's here.

I am trying to find in which categories each machine peaks now days, or are they pretty much identical since they use similar hardware. But seeing as how the mac uses Xeons, do they have an advantage? Would it be more advantageous to get a Mac Pro Dual chip and install Windows 7 on it?
Macs are just PCs nowadays, so they will perform in terms of how the operatiing system and drivers are for that particular platform; other than that, it's just normal pc hardware (well we can discuss about the quality of the components, case, etc but that's another story).

Also, Mac it's allways a little behind on adapting new cpus, etc since they have to test all over again to make sure it works ok with mac os; they're not M$ so they need more time ..... this is completely normal.

Now, up to your question. If I where you , I'd focus my desition in the operating system. Because, if all you want it's to wun Windows 7, or any other windows flavor, just buy a branch PC - or build it yourself.

Now if you are after Mac OS because it suit your needs and you prefer UNIX like O.S then buy a Mac (or build a linux box

I got really tired of Windows Laptos; defrags every x time or the disk go sloowww, antivirus, installing/unistalling stuff gets the O.S. worst, drivers, malware, etc etc etc

So for work, I needed a realiable and almost-no-maintenance laptop for my email, documents, dpf, office suite, and casual programming (i don't much these days anymore). So I went for a MacBook and I never looked back. Morevoer, in case I need to check somewthing on windows, I run a vitual machine with it no prob .

So, I'd buy a Mac because I want Mac OS and its benefits / capabilities (and flaws) ; if not, for the same money, get better hardware.

Old
  (#267)
vbetts
Don Vincenzo

Default 11-08-2009, 03:55 | posts: 12,767 | Location: Toledo Ohio

The only difference in a mac and a pc is how they're built. The mac series don't use standard building designs for motherboards, instead they're logic boards. Macs also use efi instead of bios. The biggest advantage to a pc vs macs are overclocking. You can't overclock too well on a mac pro because of the memory.

Old
  (#268)
JxL
Maha Guru

Videocard: AMR FirePro Dual D500
Processor: Intel Xeon 6Core 3.5Ghz
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: 450w
Default 11-09-2009, 10:59 | posts: 1,689 | Location: England

Has anybody got a core i7 hackintosh to work without problems? Thinking of sellling my macbook pro and building up a rig (Gigabyte EX58 UD5)

Old
  (#269)
vbetts
Don Vincenzo

Default 11-19-2009, 06:36 | posts: 12,767 | Location: Toledo Ohio

Darwin 10.2 kernel supports i7 native with full vanilla.

Old
  (#270)
Dantes
Member Guru

Videocard: ATi HD 5770 CrossFireX'd
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE
Mainboard: ASUS Crosshair 3 Formula
Memory: 6 GB DDR3-1333
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair TX-750W
Default 03-30-2010, 18:39 | posts: 63 | Location: Belgium

I have a MacBook Pro 15" 2.66 Ghz, latest generation (the specification's in this account's profile info are of my brother's computer). I use Windows XP Bootcamp for gaming and other stuff, usually I just run it in Mac OS X using Parallels to run XP at the same time. Might install Win 7 on Bootcamp partition sometime soon. But I'm wondering if/how I could overclock the CPU and GPU?

Old
  (#271)
zoso_the_hippy
Maha Guru

Videocard: 4 evga 3gb 580's liquid
Processor: 990x on liquid
Mainboard: Evga 4 way sli classified
Memory: ocz blade 2133 6gb
Soundcard: bowers and wilkens 2 way
PSU: 1500w sliverstone
Default 04-24-2011, 20:52 | posts: 920 | Location: Florida

macs are epic love mine

Old
  (#272)
bigb159
Member Guru

Videocard: Sapphire Radeon 5850 1GB
Processor: Intel Core i5 Quad-core
Mainboard: BIOSTAR TP67B+
Memory: DDR3 8GB
Soundcard: Realtek
PSU: APEVIA 650W
Default 07-22-2011, 13:32 | posts: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso_the_hippy View Post
macs are epic love mine
And I thought I was good at random spam. Not a lot of mac users here. Until apple allows us to mod our own macs indefinitely, it will remain that way.

Old
  (#273)
anticupidon
Ancient Guru

Videocard: XFX RX480 GTR 8GB
Processor: i5 6600K / Liqmax II 240
Mainboard: Maximus Extreme VIII
Memory: 16 GB GSkill Z DDR4 3000
Soundcard: ROG SupremeFX
PSU: EVGA 750 W G2
Default 03-02-2013, 23:02 | posts: 2,813 | Location: far,far from home

i was thinking about building hackintosh,a low cost one.
still undecided,i have yet to justify another computer build
any hackintosh guru can say a word or two about going apple rogue?

Old
  (#274)
yasamoka
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 290X CF H2O
Processor: 5820K @ 4.3GHz 1.26V H2O
Mainboard: MSI X99S SLi Plus
Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133
Soundcard: Audio-GD NFB-11.32 +DT880
PSU: CM Silent Pro Hybrid 1300
Default 03-03-2013, 00:29 | posts: 4,204 | Location: Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by anticupidon View Post
i was thinking about building hackintosh,a low cost one.
still undecided,i have yet to justify another computer build
any hackintosh guru can say a word or two about going apple rogue?
Perhaps it's a good idea to dual-boot with hackintosh on your current system or use virtualization first?

Old
  (#275)
anticupidon
Ancient Guru

Videocard: XFX RX480 GTR 8GB
Processor: i5 6600K / Liqmax II 240
Mainboard: Maximus Extreme VIII
Memory: 16 GB GSkill Z DDR4 3000
Soundcard: ROG SupremeFX
PSU: EVGA 750 W G2
Default 03-06-2013, 14:21 | posts: 2,813 | Location: far,far from home

i have Mac OSX virtualized using Chimera and Tonymac tools...runs pretty well on my main machine.
Thing is ,i rather build my own Hackintosh,and if the milk tourn sour,well i can fix my own problems,no point in asking Apple´s geniuses.
More to it,there are many opinions pro and con,but with the right hardware,one can have a more powerfull computer for less money.

now this stirred my interest.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/hackinto...ard/19160.html