Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Affiliates > MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion forum
MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion forum This forum is intended for MSI customers for questions on the AfterBurner Overclock Utility based off Rivatuner. In this section the users help each other out with answers as well as support staff from MSI.

Question for Unwinder
Old
  (#1)
bobmitch
Master Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 ICX
Processor: i7 5820K
Mainboard: EVGA X99 FTW K
Memory: 32 GB GSKill DDR4-2666
Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster Z
PSU: Corsair Modular HX850i
Default Question for Unwinder - 02-21-2017, 16:11 | posts: 338 | Location: Dallas Texas Area

I just received a notice from EVGA that my GTX 1080 SC ACX is being replaced with a 1080 ICX model. Only difference will be the nine temp sensors, fuse and two fan controllers, instead of one. Now, fans are for GPU and Power/VRM...on separate controllers. Will Afterburner sense the two fan controllers and let me control separately? OR...If I set fan curve, will it control both controllers with one setting? I am not a fan of Precision, so I am hopeful that there will be a way to keep the new card cool with Afterburner.

Thanks!

Old
  (#2)
boogieman
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX 1080X Gaming
Processor: i7 6700K @ 4.6
Mainboard: Asus Z170-A
Memory: 2 x 8 G Skill
Soundcard: Soundblaster Z
PSU: BFG Tech EX-1200
Default 02-21-2017, 16:59 | posts: 1,869 | Location: USA

I'm not Unwinder obviously, but IIRC, fans with separate controllers will require AB to control one fan and another 3rd party software to control the other.

Old
  (#3)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-22-2017, 10:49 | posts: 12,919 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Cannot answer that without seeing that hardware. I'd assume that only the first fan will be controllable.

Alexey Nicolaychuk aka Unwinder, RivaTuner creator

Old
  (#4)
bobmitch
Master Guru

Default 02-22-2017, 14:42 | posts: 338 | Location: Dallas Texas Area

Thank you. Will have to see what happens once the card arrives. Here is the overview of ICX. http://www.evga.com/articles/01084/evga-icx/

I would imagine that there is a fan curve built into the bios for both fans. If that is the case, I would imagine that the Power/VRM fan would kick in at some point. Just not thrilled about using Precision.

Last edited by bobmitch; 02-22-2017 at 14:45.

Old
  (#5)
bobmitch
Master Guru

Default 03-08-2017, 14:11 | posts: 338 | Location: Dallas Texas Area

I can attest to the fact that Afterburner only runs the GPU fan, with the new ICX version of EVGA cards. The Power/VRM fan can still run from bios settings of the card, but not until 60C. I hope, one day, that more companies adopt the two separate fan controllers, so Unwinder can include this feature in Afterburner. Unfortunately, I have to use Precision for the time being...

Old
  (#6)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 03-08-2017, 15:44 | posts: 12,919 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

More companies won't adopt to it because they already do it for years. What EVGA is promoting as something brand new and even patented async fan control is available for years for some MSI cards, and even that fact didn't cause AB to be rewritten just to support that.
Both AMD and NV drivers are providing API for controlling the primary fan only, adding support for secondary fan means that controller must be accessed directly at low level, which adds real jar of worms in compatibility area. It won't be in AB just because some vendor (regardless if it is MSI, EVGA or anybody else) decide to play marketing games with second "async" controller.

Alexey Nicolaychuk aka Unwinder, RivaTuner creator

Last edited by Unwinder; 03-08-2017 at 17:24.

Old
  (#7)
bobmitch
Master Guru

Default 03-09-2017, 05:20 | posts: 338 | Location: Dallas Texas Area

Understood! Thanks for the explanation

Old
  (#8)
bobmitch
Master Guru

Default 04-21-2017, 14:17 | posts: 338 | Location: Dallas Texas Area

Just wanted to specify...I stepped up to the EVGA GTX 1080 TI FE, which has only one fan and am back on Afterburner. So glad to be "home"...the writers of EVGA Precision software don't have Unwinder's understanding of how everything should work...or even keep the software up to date. Afterburner FTW! Custom fan curve even keeps the FE much cooler...top temp around 72C at full load