Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Affiliates > MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion forum
MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion forum This forum is intended for MSI customers for questions on the AfterBurner Overclock Utility based off Rivatuner. In this section the users help each other out with answers as well as support staff from MSI.

Old
  (#626)
reb0rn

Videocard: 2x MSI gaming x 1070
Processor: i5
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Seasonic KM3 750w
Default 11-03-2016, 14:19 | posts: 8

I expected something like that...

If I want let say 0.92v and 1900Mhz depending on card power limit I need to set power limit to 69% and offset slider to +230 (depending on bios clock)
then if GPU usage is very low card will boost way over 1900 and PC will crash

With V/F curve this can be fixed with ctrl+L with a disared voltage and moving graph to disared freq

I know all is offset which is shame, I am more for constant values, expecially in my mining rigs

Old
  (#627)
reb0rn

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 12-01-2016, 22:05 | posts: 8

Could it be possible to add max boost slider for Nvidia 10xx cards as they sometimes boost (boost 3.0) way over targeted offset (low GPU usage or low temp) and crash the cuda application or game?

I am using power limit as mean to undervolt also as there is no usual voltage slider

Old
  (#628)
dr_rus
Maha Guru

Videocard: GTX 1080 GRP
Processor: i7-6850K
Mainboard: Sabertooth X99
Memory: 64 GB DDR4
Soundcard: SB X-Fi Ti
PSU: CM V1200 Platinum
Default 12-02-2016, 11:14 | posts: 1,656

Here's an idea: add an option of sound notification when a screenshot is taken. Would help when you're taking a screenshot with OSD turned off and not really sure if it worked.

Old
  (#629)
XxXkodiakXxX

Videocard: GTX 670 / 4096
Processor: Intel Core i7
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair
Default 12-06-2016, 01:05 | posts: 2

love msi ab. appreciate the effort you put into it.

there wasn't a possible ideas thread for rivatuner but its somewhat releated to msi.

i would love to see an option to change color palette when show own statistics is checked in rivatuner. that way its easier to distinguish at a glance.

Old
  (#630)
nvmd

Videocard: GTX 860M
Processor: Intel Core i7-4810MQ
Mainboard: Clevo W35xSS/370SS
Memory: C. Vengeance 2x4GB 1.6GHz
Soundcard: VIA VT1802P
PSU: N/A
Default 12-12-2016, 19:08 | posts: 13 | Location: Brazil

Since I use the program mainly for basic benchmarking, and on a laptop, I have 3 suggestions regarding monitoring and logging ( not a native english speaker, so bear with me ):

HM = Hardware Monitor window
OSD =On-Screen Display

* Make so HM and Logging works like OSD
Currently, you can select which monitoring graphs you want to show on HM, OSD, and Logitech keyboard display. But there's no addressing of problems like:
-> Ties up OSD, HM, and Logs together;
-> HM becomes useless if you don't have 2+ screens, or don't care about looking at the stats at real time, or own a MUXless ( Nvidia Optimus/ AMD Hybrid ) laptop, and alt-tabbing messes up with your logging statistics because the driver switches video context from your dGPU to iGPU, putting the former in idle state;
-> Unnecessary waste of resources to keep HM up and updating;

My solution to this would be something like this

(Erased show in tray icon and logitech keyboard just to simplify the paint editing )

In this version, you can choose what's relevant for the HM, OSD and Log separately. HM would remain without a enable/disable checkbox. Instead of it, this would be done redundantly, with an enabled state consisting of any graph having its Show in HM checkbox enabled. Disable/enable logging checkbox would remain as it is.

* Makes so Logging enable/disable works like Profiles
Upon enabling logging, give us an option to start/stop it with hotkeys, or automatically enabling it when a 3D process starts, and disable it when the process stops, just like AB handles profiles.

Last edited by nvmd; 12-12-2016 at 19:11.

Old
  (#631)
nvmd

Default 12-19-2016, 16:32 | posts: 13 | Location: Brazil

Does anyone still read this thread?

Old
  (#632)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 12-19-2016, 16:54 | posts: 13,006 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

I do. And reply to everything I find important.

Alexey Nicolaychuk aka Unwinder, RivaTuner creator

Old
  (#633)
nvmd

Default 12-19-2016, 17:42 | posts: 13 | Location: Brazil

Oh. Just checking..

Old
  (#634)
acroig

Videocard: EVGA 980Ti - 6GB VRAM
Processor: Intel i7 4770K @ 4.5Ghz
Mainboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming
Memory: GSkill 8GB
Soundcard: Realtek HD with Logitech
PSU: Corsair 850
Default 01-02-2017, 19:35 | posts: 32 | Location: GA - USA

Unwinder, happy 2017 and thanks for your awesome software. In 2015 someone asked if you could look into supporting the Logitech Arx software and I was hoping that maybe this year you would reconsider supporting the app. Many thanks.

Old
  (#635)
nixon

Videocard: GTX570
Processor: 2500k
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair 650
Default 01-12-2017, 18:36 | posts: 7

would it be possible to add more settings for nvenc like these ones?

Old
  (#636)
ninja750
Member Guru

Videocard: Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X
Processor: Intel i5 4670K
Mainboard: Asus Z87-A
Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengeance
Soundcard: Realtek ALC892 DTS Live
PSU: Cooler Master SP M2 520w
Default 01-18-2017, 09:32 | posts: 59 | Location: Italy

is it possible to "replicate" less or more the amd wattman separate clock for every performance state?

Old
  (#637)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 01-18-2017, 10:14 | posts: 13,006 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Nope, AB will control clock for the maximum performance state only.

Old
  (#638)
bn880

Videocard: -
Processor: -
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: -
Question 01-31-2017, 17:37 | posts: 3

Any chance for an option to prevent underclocking caused by VBIOS based on GPU usage? Happens a lot in a sim like DCS, when GPU usage can fall to 30% or less often and the Freq then reverts to say 1500 or 1800 on a GTX 1080.

It's highly annoying as there is barely any workaround that I know of. In the past I have used custom VBIOS on some GPU's to overcome this adaptive clocking based on usage.

Old
  (#639)
reb0rn

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 02-03-2017, 05:48 | posts: 8

We need more control, fixed overclock/voltage no offset bull**** etc, NV is leaking info only to unwinder and he do what he is told he can and how far!!!!!

Sorry to say but its like that, for NV we have only one tool, rest is copy/paste crap!

I have 27 GTX1070 and its pain in the ass to set up all of them for different use and workload using CUDA!

+ NV twats encrypted bios so can`t edit it

Last edited by reb0rn; 02-03-2017 at 05:51.

Old
  (#640)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-03-2017, 06:53 | posts: 13,006 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by reb0rn View Post
We need more control, fixed overclock/voltage no offset bull**** etc, NV is leaking info only to unwinder and he do what he is told he can and how far!!!!!
That's one of the stupidest posts I've seen in this forum during the last months. Avoid posting things like that here please.

Old
  (#641)
bn880

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 02-12-2017, 16:18 | posts: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn880 View Post
Any chance for an option to prevent underclocking caused by VBIOS based on GPU usage? Happens a lot in a sim like DCS, when GPU usage can fall to 30% or less often and the Freq then reverts to say 1500 or 1800 on a GTX 1080.

It's highly annoying as there is barely any workaround that I know of. In the past I have used custom VBIOS on some GPU's to overcome this adaptive clocking based on usage.
To clarify, it is what's called "no load limit" kicking in. We need a way to adjust the limit % down from 30% OR to adjust the frequency of the limiter. I saw an article here techhouse-news blogspot ca /2016/05/geforce-gtx-1080-overclocking-guide and it mentions the no load limit as an option, but there's no option that I can see.

The article also indirectly suggest the temp target affects the no load limit, but I think it's wrong.

We need more control over these clocks please.

Old
  (#642)
Andy_K
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX 960 OC
Processor: AMD FX6300
Mainboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0
Memory: Crucial 1600 - 8GB
Soundcard: Realtek ALC892 (7.1)
PSU: Corsair CX430M
Default 02-12-2017, 17:28 | posts: 291 | Location: Germany

There is a neat little option in the settings of our display driver.
When you go in the 3D programm settings you can set the performance mode from "Adaptive" to "Prefer maximum performance".

Old
  (#643)
bn880

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 02-12-2017, 19:11 | posts: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post
There is a neat little option in the settings of our display driver.
When you go in the 3D programm settings you can set the performance mode from "Adaptive" to "Prefer maximum performance".
Hello, I know about this, doesn't change the low load limiting however. So the afterburner feature is still required.

Old
  (#644)
gtbtk

Videocard: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
Processor: Intel i7-2600
Mainboard: Asus P8Z68-V
Memory: Kingston 2x8Gb DDR3 1600
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair HX850i
Default 02-12-2017, 22:37 | posts: 33 | Location: Hong Kong

Hi Unwinder,

Would it be possible to change the Voltage curve display format?

Currently you can move the points around, shape your curve and the fine offset line will change to be above, on or below the curve. It is workable, all be it hard going at times If you understand that is what the fine line is telling you but can be really confusing when you have two of the heavy curves saved that look the same at first glance but actually be totally different.

I think it would be more intuitive and make the main adjustable curve more visually meaningful if you change the display layout so that what would have been the fine offset line remains fixed in the stock curve location and the main curve with the movable voltage points are displayed above and below the offset reference line depending on how they are set.

As it stands now, it is very difficult to fine tune a curve making little tweaks and then see what you have actually done to get the best result. It certainly makes it impossible to replicate curve again later unless you save it in one of only 5 preset positions or, lacking an undo option to roll back to the previous setting, exactly roll back to the last setting if you tweak too far.

It is also extremely confusing to make a small change to the curve but have it appear not to change relative to the other points around it or to go back to tuning a curve after a period of time and then remember exactly what you did previously to get there unless you have mastered thinking in abstract terms mentally juggling 2 moving lines and adding them together.

Last edited by gtbtk; 02-12-2017 at 22:39.

Old
  (#645)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-13-2017, 06:39 | posts: 13,006 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Unlikely. V/F editing curve implementation is dictated by NVAPI possibilities rather than my intentions to make your life harder. NVAPI is not allowing representing curve editing in your desired way.

Old
  (#646)
gtbtk

Videocard: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
Processor: Intel i7-2600
Mainboard: Asus P8Z68-V
Memory: Kingston 2x8Gb DDR3 1600
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair HX850i
Default 02-20-2017, 05:03 | posts: 33 | Location: Hong Kong

Thanks for the reply. I am not suggesting that your intent is to make life harder for us. I appreciate the stirling work that you have been doing on Afterburner.

I am not sure that I quite follow your answer though. I am not suggesting a change to by-pass NVAPI or a change in the logic behind the curve changes, Only a change in the way the user interface is presented to the user. Precision XOC's graph interface is generally terrible compared to your Afterburner method of changing voltage points but they do represent the parts of the curve that have been overclocked more clearly because they are all adjusted relative to a fixed reference point.

These simple examples are only to illustrate my meaning. Curves that have many small adjustments send the offset reference baseline up and down in many zigzags making it almost impossible to work out exactly what the curve is doing.

This is currently how Afterburner represents the curve with various sections either overclocked, not overclocked or underclocked.

This is actually the same curve before clicking the accept button. I think that presenting the graph this way when it is operational just makes it easier to see exactly what you have done, particularly if you are making small tweaks or trying to compare 2 different curves with one another.

Last edited by gtbtk; 02-20-2017 at 05:06.

Old
  (#647)
dr_rus
Maha Guru

Videocard: GTX 1080 GRP
Processor: i7-6850K
Mainboard: Sabertooth X99
Memory: 64 GB DDR4
Soundcard: SB X-Fi Ti
PSU: CM V1200 Platinum
Default 04-12-2017, 02:01 | posts: 1,656

Another idea: make optional two step OSD switch. Right now, AB/RTSS have on/off hotkey for OSD - I suggest expanding this to off/on-1/on-2 cycle, with the user being able to control what graphs/sensors are being shown in on-1 and on-2 states. This can be used to specify, for example, a minimal and full OSDs by default, with minimal showing just FPS number and full adding other stuff. Or to split the readouts in two groups, shown in two steps - one for GPU and one for CPU for example.

I personally would like to be able to see per thread CPU load in OSD sometimes but generally I'm ok with the common CPU load percentage. Hence the idea.

Old
  (#648)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 04-12-2017, 08:33 | posts: 13,006 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Making MSI AB monitoring config saved into profile slots sounds like more unified solution for me. I'll think about it.

Old
  (#649)
pimp_gimp
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SLI
Processor: Core i7-3770k 4.5Ghz
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V Premium
Memory: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z
Soundcard: Creative SoundBlaster Z
PSU: Corsair AX1200
Default 04-12-2017, 19:25 | posts: 6,570 | Location: Tacoma, Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvmd View Post
Does anyone still read this thread?
There are quite a few things discussed here that have been implemented into AB/RTSS in one way or another.

Old
  (#650)
Tenshi07

Videocard: MSI Sea Hawk EK X 1080SLI
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K
Mainboard: MSI Z97S SLI KraitEdition
Memory: DDR3 / 32 GB @ 2133MHz
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi 5.1 Pro
PSU: Tt Toughpower XT 775W
Default 04-13-2017, 13:47 | posts: 2

I would love to see the ability to set which monitor MSI Afterburner will prioritize to as default. At the moment, if you disconnect the secondary monitor, and then put it back in, the application will move to primary, and then stay there. Some of us have reasons to disconnect monitors. HTC Vive runs better on one monitor plugged in rather than 2, for example. The problem is that people have to move MSI Afterburner back into position if they are using it for readouts. Having it on the primary display is not ideal if you are gaming on that display. Moving it back to secondary monitor is a hassle. Hope this makes sense.

I just want the option to choose which display should be default, and when that display is reconnected, it will automatically move the application back to that monitor.