Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Hardware > Laptops & Notebooks
Laptops & Notebooks They’re completely portable, and they use less power and make less noise than desktop models. But what if you have questions ?

Acer 725 high temperature
Old
  (#1)
SentinelAeon
Master Guru

Videocard: HD 6950
Processor: i5 2400
Mainboard: ASUS P8 Z77-V LX
Memory: 8 GB DDR3
Soundcard: Sabre DAC
PSU: Corsair CX600 600W
Default Acer 725 high temperature - 10-17-2016, 17:51 | posts: 171

Hello, i just bought a second hand acer 725 and at first it looked like a great pc. Then i checked temperatures and as soon as i did some mild stressing (windows update, hard drive error scan ..) temperatures went as high as 83C. Naturaly i thought the problem was a bad thermal grease so i opened the computer and what i found ! Instead of thermal grease there are 2 thermal pads and what is more, there is a gap between chips and heatsink, so i cant properly use thermal grease.

With high temperature comes crazy fan speeds even when i do mild work, this laptop was supposed to be quiet. But in 1 review a person testing it said under full stress it reached 93C. The reviewer didn't think anything was wrong with 93C, instead he went around measuring many points on keyboard to make sure our arms and legs are comfy while the computer slowly cooks itself:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-...k.89991.0.html

My question is, anyone else had same problems with this netbook and what is to be done ? It is a very nice laptop to use on college for notepad++, matlab, etc. But not with temperatures like this ..

Old
  (#2)
SentinelAeon
Master Guru

Default 10-20-2016, 12:18 | posts: 171

I kinda solved the problem. I took a tiny piece of copper and put it between cpu and cooler. Temperatures dropped. I tried testing it with prime95 and furmark running, meaning stressed both cpu and gpu as far as i could and it never went over 83C. Since the review online said their sample went as far as 93C this is better. I also checked the heatsink during load and it is quite hot, meaning there is contact between cpu and heatsink. I have some old heatsinks from ram/northbridge and i plan to add them to laptop heatsink, to improve cooling.

Old
  (#3)
anticupidon
Ancient Guru

Videocard: XFX RX480 GTR 8GB
Processor: i5 6600K / Liqmax II 240
Mainboard: Maximus Extreme VIII
Memory: 16 GB GSkill Z DDR4 3000
Soundcard: ROG SupremeFX
PSU: EVGA 750 W G2
Default 10-20-2016, 16:53 | posts: 2,817 | Location: far,far from home

You used the old "copper shim" trick.Well, if it solved the problem, you are good.
However, a bit more improvement you can get by place some aluminium duct tape where the heatsink meets the fan casing, to ensure that no hot air escapes.

Old
  (#4)
SentinelAeon
Master Guru

Default 10-20-2016, 23:44 | posts: 171

I could try the duct tape thing thought i don't think it will do much. The air coming out of the computer is cold most of the time, even when i was stress testing the computer at 83C, it was barely warm (on other laptops i tested, if cpu is at 65C, air coming out VERY hot). When i turn on the computer it boots in a few seconds and cpu is already at 50C, even thought the heat sink is completely cold. I will need to do further improvement to create better flow of heat from cpu to heatsink.

Last edited by SentinelAeon; 10-20-2016 at 23:54.

Old
  (#5)
SentinelAeon
Master Guru

Default 11-09-2016, 21:57 | posts: 171

Well i came to a conclusion that something must be wrong with the temperature sensor. I read online that other ppl think that also so i will just stop obsession with temperature because it simply isn't possible that an 8W "calculator" would produce such temperatures despite great contact between heatsink and cpu yet heatsink being pretty cold, while cpu idles at 60C.
Edit: i will replace this laptop asap because i simply cannot use a device with broken sensors. I am a control freak