Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - 3dfx
Videocards - 3dfx How the mighty have fallen. Unfortunately the company is gone, but of course we still support the products. Use this forum to discuss anything concerning products using 3dfx chips from the Voodoo series.

Need Help with 3DFX on Win98 Box
Old
  (#1)
scrapser
Master Guru

Videocard: 780 ti Kingpin CLFD 3 GB
Processor: Intel i7 3930K SB-E
Mainboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79
Memory: Samsung PC1600 16 gigs
Soundcard: Sound Blaster ZxR
PSU: Silverstone Strider 1200
Default Need Help with 3DFX on Win98 Box - 03-23-2013, 23:57 | posts: 561 | Location: Dover, NH USA

I have a pair of Diamond Voodoo2 8 meg cards with SLI. They were made to be used as a set. I just tried to install them and my computer had all sorts of problems. I think I may need to clean off the hard drive and reinstall Windows to start fresh.

But before I do I'm hoping someone here knows these cards well enough to advise me on what I should do at this point and maybe help walk me through the setup solution.

Thanks

Old
  (#2)
scrapser
Master Guru

Videocard: 780 ti Kingpin CLFD 3 GB
Processor: Intel i7 3930K SB-E
Mainboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79
Memory: Samsung PC1600 16 gigs
Soundcard: Sound Blaster ZxR
PSU: Silverstone Strider 1200
Default 03-24-2013, 13:32 | posts: 561 | Location: Dover, NH USA

Okay...I'm adding a bit more information.

To be clear, this is a Win98SE installation using a mated pair of Diamond Monster II Voodoo2 8 meg cards. The main card is a GeForce4 Ti-4600 64 meg AGP 4x.

Here are the anomalies....
  • None of the drivers for 3DFX appear in the Add/Remove programs list.
  • The graphics card driver (nVidia) does not uninstall. When I click on the line in the Add/Remove list, the window simply resets back to the top. I tried reinstalling over the existing driver but it still behaves the same when trying to uninstall.
  • Everything works in spite of this. I test the 3DFX cards by running European Air War at 1024x768 in Glide with no problems. If I use only one card, I can only go to 800x600.

To get to this point (including full use of the main graphics card) I am using the Diamond v.207 drivers. If I use the FastVoodoo2 v.4.6 drivers, my main graphic card gets messed up completely. By that I mean I can only use 16 colors with resolutions below 800x600 at boot up.

I'm pretty certain at this point my registry is a mess and tempted to format the hard drive and start from scratch but would like to discuss with any 3DFX savvy folks before taking that step.