Speed bumps, what do you think about them?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by elkosith, Oct 6, 2014.

?

Speed bumps, what do you think about them?

Poll closed Oct 13, 2014.
  1. I love them

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  2. I don't like them but they're needed

22 vote(s)
    53.7%
  3. I hate them

16 vote(s)
    39.0%
  4. I don't know what speedbumps are

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    Personally, I hate them, especially if they are on the main roads.

These videos are just for laugh, not to imply that all speed bumps are like that.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    They're there for a reason. The vids you linked are retarded, the first one shouldn't exist and the 2nd one the drivers should drive slower.

3. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    What is funny about the 2nd vid is the damage that is being done to the drivers vehicles. And I agree with Eclap that the videos are dumb and the drivers in the 2nd video are just plain stupid.

4. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Annoying but needed, in the second video it doesn't look like the bumps are marked or very clear, normally have white arrows on them.

First vid is ridiculous, they need to be done within reason, there's some roads near us that we can't use in one of the cars because the bumps are too extreme and it grounds it.

5. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Trying to argue against speedbumps is like trying to justify not not wearing a seat belt.

They're for a reason, not just to annoy you.

6. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    You must really need those extra 25 seconds eh? :p

7. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Its like drivers that toot at you in an aggressive manner when they've had to stop for people at a crossing.

Just chill, its only a few seconds.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    In my city, we have "speed bumps" in parking lots and "speed humps" on public roads. I'd rather have a short series of "speed bumps" instead of the "speed humps".

9. Lilith

Lilith Member Guru

GPU:
    nvidia GTX 1660ti
    I think they're a good thing really. I mean alot of ppl dont have the common sense to slow down in certain areas(despite signage giving them warnings or lowering speed limits) so sometimes you have to 'force' ppl to obey what should just be common sense(around schools, shopping centre carparks, things like that).
    I mean it only takes a second for a little child with no road sense to runout on a street near a kindergarden or chase a ball out onto a street and whatever.

10. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Where I live the roads are so bad from the buses and snowplows we don't need speed bumps. We have potholes.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014

11. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    Passive Aggressive Traffic Control

12. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    They're utterly pointless. They create additional pollution because of the stop-start cycles they create, and only slow offenders down right before and right after the bump (maybe). Some people don't care and don't slow down for them. They also put unnecessary wear on suspension parts.

They're a good idea in theory, but not actually in practice.

13. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Sure, some exist for great reason, but not all...

It's not unusual where I live to see rich folks whine and get speed humps installed in an area where none should exist. (essentially country roads leading to their waterfront homes) These are especially annoying.

The ones I really hate, regardless of their being a need for people to drive slow are the really thin ones (sometimes plastic, sometimes a pipe). Those suck even at 3mph.

14. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    I like ones that don't punish you for driving slowly over them. It should be really smooth unless you're going too fast. Sadly most are just plain rough even if I'm moving at a crawl.

15. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I don't like them. Mainly because there hasn't been any crashes or hurt pedestrians near where I live in like 20 years, with or without speed bumps, so I don't really see them changing anything to the better locally.
    On the other hand It always makes me smile to see those 18-year-olds with their tuned and lowered cards drive up such speed bumps almost sideways because of their missing clearance, hillarious :D

16. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    On an alternative route from my work to home, in the span of less than 2km of road, there are 36 speed bumps. The road itself is not in good condition. Even without the bumps 40 kph is difficult.

I often take that route when the main road is jammed.

17. MrGreg62

MrGreg62 Guest

GPU:
    Asus DirectCUII 7970
    Not a big fan but they are required. And the video's posted have nothing in common with a standard speed bump the 1st one is obviously the entrance to a gated community or something close to it.

18. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    F"ck, my front strut ball joints had to be changed after 100 000 km, too many bumps on my weekly routes.

19. spider

spider Guest

GPU:
    GTX760 OC 4GB
  20. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    They are very much needed around where i live. Some people dont know how to behave and use the streets as a racing track. even in a 30km zone with children and old people around.