Graphics card onboard sound issue (after baking GPU).

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Major Melchett, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Hi Guru's need a bit of advice.

The other day i had to bake my graphics card again as its basically dying a slow death, anyways during the other bakes I've managed to get a few months out of the card without much issue (until it finally stops working) - this was until the other day. After this most recent bake the card is running well in games once again, however my sound now keeps cutting out (in that it works sometimes and then just doesn't at other times). I recon its likely to be the bake that caused it or that part of the card finally giving up - i was just wondering is there any other things it could likely be?.

I've tried reinstalling the drivers, reseating the card and using the 2nd port on the card (in case the hdmi port had been damaged) but to no avail - could there be anything else i could try?. My PC setup is weird in that i could use my motherboards onboard sound, but I'd need to buy 15m cables to route it all up as my PC is hooked up to my living room TV and the PC itself is stored in a big storage room.

Just wanting to see if there is anything else i can try before ordering the regular cables, I'd hate to waste money on some new long cables and then fnd out it was something else :bang:..

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Have you tried disabling the GPU audio from device manager / playback devices in case that's been fried with the baking and interfering with the onboard ?

3. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    Your GTX 480 is again died 4 times. xD

My old GTX 480 w/ 43 months old was "new" to be plugged on november 18th, 2010 and is died on june 14th, 2014 but I've good luck for 10-year warranty by EVGA. :D

My GTX 580 3GB (not RMA but yes new GTX 670 is backed by RMA) was plugged on july 14th. :)

4. Major Melchett

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    When i uninstalled the drivers the cards audio section was removed from device manager, i moved the PC into the living room last night (i wanted to watch a movie :D) and hooked up the MB onboard audio and disabled/uninstalled the GPU audio and it all worked well (though it was only for a 2 hour test really).

However now that you mention device manager, i never thought of monitoring that section when the audio drops out. I think I'll play around with a few games in window mode and see if the NVidia high definition audio disappears when the audio drops out - it could be that the bake has damaged the audio chip (as said, its been baked like cookies 4 times now) and it could be loosing its connection or something.

I've had the card since 2010 (just after the 580 came out), its had a bit of a hard life in that it was clocked to 850/2000 (it had a shaman cooler on it though) until Christmas last year (its 1st death), unfortunately my card was out of warranty at its 1st death hence the baking attempt.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014

5. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    Ok. I had ALWAYS disabled NV audio driver during GPU driver install. :)

NOTICE: I'm adviced you should clean dust (aspirator used - very important) in your PC (videocard is more important) monthly. :)

EDIT: I did OC to 750-760MHz core; 1900MHz VRAM especially (only ~1 month) in old GTX 480. ;)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  6. Major Melchett

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Pretty sure the audio chip on the graphics card (no idea where it is on the card) or something to do with it has gone now (or is in the process of going), whilst doing my little test i mentioned earlier (running games etc with device manager showing) whenever the sound cut out the NVidia high definition audio section would disappear as though the device had been removed.

I can't think of anything else it can be, so for now its back to having the PC in the living room using the onboard MB audio.