External Disk Drives

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Pale Rider, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Classified
    A lot of new cases have no external disk drive (ODD) bays.
    So, how do you install an OS that comes on a disk?
    Or the motherboard drivers and other software?
    I don't know who says CD's, DVD's and all other disks are no longer worthwhile and relegated to the past, but I'm not one of them.
    I was interested in the new BitFenix Atlas case, coming out this Winter, but found out it doesn't have an ODD bay.
    I do have a stand alone disk drive that connects through a USB port.
    I never use it anymore, or even remember where I put it.
    It was the only way I could use my RAM disks.
    As far as I know, RAM disks are now obsolete.
    Are we supposed to all run out and buy standalone disk drives now?
    Hell, you can't even get online unless you 1st install the LAN drivers from a disk, so that leaves out installing from the 'net!
    Maybe there's some technology I've completely missed that lets you download something, anything, without a disk drive?
    I'd sure like to hear about such a thing, if it even exists.
    This just seems to me to be another lame-assed way for case manufacturers to save a buck or two. And then charge extra for leaving something out.
    Kind of like "low salt" foods. You're charged extra because a little salt was left out?

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Most people install Windows via USB Flash drive these days, much faster than DVD

3. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Classified
    That sounds nice!
    Exactly when did Microsoft start selling their OS' on Flash Drives?
    1st time I've ever heard of such a thing.
    It also doesn't address everything else that's downloaded from optical disks.
    The ASUS Rampage V I just opened, since posting this, also has all its drivers on a disk.
    I just haven't a clue as to what the case manufacturers are supposed to be trying to prove.
    Other than their greed and ignorance, of course. But that's nothing new.

4. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    They don't, it's still on discs.

They do offer a tool to convert it for use for USB though, http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool (currently looks down at the moment, similar and better tool here http://rufus.akeo.ie/).

I had this problem myself earlier this week, trying to set up a computer with no optical drive, got windows fine through USB but the default network drivers didn't work, I had my laptop on hand so I was able to copy the contents of the disc to USB and get it over that way.

5. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Classified
    This is what showed up at the 1st link to the Microsoft store:
    [​IMG] We are sorry, an unexpected error occurred processing your request. Please try again.
    [​IMG] We are sorry, an unexpected error occurred processing your request. Please try again.
    Not very useful, huh?
    I really don't know what they're trying to accomplish.
    I buy my music on CD's, rip them to a hard drive and then archive the disk. When I want to listen to music in my van, I just burn whatever I want and play it there.
    I've bought music from Amazon several times, and it sucks. The music just sounds so horrible I only buy CD's now.
    These case manufacturers have something else in mind by doing this to us. I just don't know what their ultimate aim may be.
    Whatever it is must be extremely important to make us go through all of these hoops when all we really need is an ODD to easily serve our purposes.
    I'm hoping Hilbert will jack one of these case makers up and force them to tell what it is that they are trying to accomplish.
    I hardly ever reuse my older cases for new builds, but I have no choice. Not until a case maker breaks down and actually says what the future of cases it is that he foresees.

6. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Take it easy big guy, there is no conspiracy here. Case manufactures are simply updating their design based on industry standard... and the standard is fewer and fewer people have a need for this dated technology. Find your USB ODD and get the case you like.

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Should not be an issue. I think all modern OS's nowadays have drivers for network connectivity.

8. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Can you find any of these cases that do not have 5.25inch bays?

Also as far as LAN drivers go. Depending on the manufacturer of the onboard LAN and the OS you may or may not need to install the drivers. In my case with my new rig I had to install the network drivers because it was an Intel based Card and Windows 8.1 did not have the drivers for it. But with my old rig since I had a realtek network card Windows 7 had the driver already and I did not have to a thing.

9. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Classified
    Why, yes.
    http://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/151-s340-mid-tower-atx-case.html
    Why would I make such a big deal over something that didn't exist?

10. mmicrosysm

mmicrosysm Guest

GPU:
    Cirrus Logic GD5430 1Meg

11. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    Before I build any new computer, the first thing I do is collect the basic drivers from the motherboard website and put them all on a flash drive. CD drivers are going to be hopelessly outdated anyway, and I'd rather not have to install everything twice.

If that's the only time people might need a disc drive, then a USB ODD makes perfect sense. If, like you, someone wants to use the ODD on a regular basis, that just means you aren't the target demographic for that case. No reason to get upset about it. There are some definite upsides to ditching the ODD, esp if you want to watercool and drop a 360 rad against the front panel. I bet a lot of people are more than willing to make that trade.

12. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Classified
    Here's another that's off my target:
    http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Gallery/392302,bitfenix-pandora-case.aspx/1
    I gave up on the upcoming Titan case and bought a Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 instead:
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/corsair-carbide-air-540-review,1.html
    An extremely nice case that looks and feels a lot better than it's fairly cheap price suggests.
    It also has slots for 2 external drives. All I need.
    One for a CD/DVD/R/RW and a single slot fan controller.
    BitFenix may sincerely kma! :flip: