Price War in the SSD Market is Starting

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

Large SSD makers have reportedly begun to slash prices on their products. The move is logically linked to the falling price of flash memory but there may be something else involved reports softpedia:NAND...

More...

2. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Yes indeed, You can regularly find a sale price of $1/GB these days, particularly on SSDs of 120 GB or larger. Good news for the consumer that's for sure. :)

3. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    I will most likely grab a 120GB or 240GB SSD soon, I currently have an 80GB Gen2 Intel but I'd like some more space. Once I get my new PC setup on Tuesday I'll probably put up some of my old components onto eBay to pay for it.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My Crucial M4 256GB is now below $1/GB (compared to the $390 it was back in October)....which is nice to see. I'm waiting for it to drop a bit further to order a second one.

5. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I may grab one soon as a pure games drive.

6. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    When i can get a 1TB SSD for under $150, i'll start celebrating. :nerd:

7. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I think we are some way off that my friend. A 256GB pure games SSD is my next purchase I think.

8. Titan29

Titan29 Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 | 7900XTX
    Just bought my first SSD a couple of weeks ago. Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240Gig. It was $268 + tax and now around $248 + tax at newegg. SSDs have never been more cheaper. I finally took the plunge and it was well worth it.

The space is enough to keep Windows + all the software that I generally need. Additionally I will keep slow loading games on it. I have another 3TB HDD to keep everything else on.

9. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Yeah, waiting for those 512GB SSD's to drop...

10. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    yeah I am waiting for at least a 512gb on the cheap. then I will buy

11. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    My next purchases I'm waiting for are
    Sub £100 256GB SSD (£180 currently)
    Sub £65 6TB HDD (not invented yet? I'd need three).

12. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    256GB Ones are droping real quick. Waiting 2 weeks and getting Crucial M4 256.

13. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    I'm a tight ****. So when SSD'S are as cheap as HDD'S are now, then I'll buy one.

Vampires, the lot of them.

14. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    This. As prices on SSD goes down, it will be reasonable to get games on SSD.
    I just have system and freq used software on SSd now.

15. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I see the crucial m4 is 124-130 on newwgg for the 128 and 250 for the 256. I've been debating getting these. I only have sata300 though so im limited to the 225mb or whatever. But do you guys know if you can point windows 7 user data on a drive other than the main one?

16. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I think it really depends on software you using. In some software, you can set where it will store it's temp/save data, which by default is usually C:users/*yourname*/my documents

I set path to HDD for that software data. All heavy folders that I had on desktop is moved to HDD and set path to it from desktop.

17. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I picked up a Crucial M4 64GB recently just to see what they were like and so far have enjoyed using it so I might pickup a 128GB or 256GB soon.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I'm waiting to get a second 256GB M4.....if prices drop far enough, I'll get 2 and run them in raid.

19. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    If we see a 512 GB SSD for below £200 then I might buy

20. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Reading some on the replies here i think some people have yet to understand the purpose of a SSD.

What's the point of a 1TB HD for the OS and apps ?

Mechanical discs will continue be less expensive for a long time. People who say today i'm gonna buy a SSD when i'll be able to buy a 1TB one for 150$ will say in 5 years i'm gonna buy a SSD when i'll be able to buy a 10TB one for 150$. Fact is if you are waiting for SSD price to catch HDD price to buy one you'll still be running your OS on a HDD 10 years from now.

For the OS 120GB is more than enough. And the difference between a SSD and a HDD for the OS is day and night to me. It's the best upgrade money can buy right now if you are a power user. I can boot to the desktop in less time it takes to get a glass of water.

I have a 120GB and a 240GB SSD. Both bought at around 1$ per GB excluding taxes. It's a total of 360$. Far less than a high end gpu.

My 120GB is half full. The os is installed on it with Office, Visual Studio, Eclipse, etc ...
    I highly recommend a SSD for people who work with their PC like me (computer eng). The 240Gb one is for my games, projects, mp3, etc. This one is sync with my 750Gb HDD. I don't have a lot of games installed so i'm okay but for some people it might not be enough. Then i have a cheap 750GB HDD for backup and movies. This HDD is turned off by windows when i'm not using it so less noise in my machine which is great.

To me it's well worth the price if you got some spare money.