Nvidia is deliberately downgrading kepler gpu's performance in favor of Maxwell.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Angrycrab, May 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    I don't have any issues on high at that resolution, it's when I set everything to ultra that gpu usage is between 75%-99%.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  2. peppercute

peppercute Guest

GPU:
    Msi 2080Ti TRIO
    So.. I always have max fps around 220-225 in Vallie, after first maxvell drivers i have 216-217. I want perfomance BACK!

3. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Well this issue only really affects titles released after Maxwell release.

4. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    What many kepler users are saying a lose in performance in many app, not just new ones .
    So it a regression for kepler types which shouldn't happen with unified driver .
    If no new optimization on kelper but only maxwell it should stay same for kepler .

5. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Drivers aren't giving us worse performance compared to previous drivers, we're just not seeing the optimizations in a couple of the latest games. Either way ManuelG said they discovered a couple issues with Kepler and are working on it.

[​IMG]

So we'll see what happens, no point in the topic regressing.

6. fellix

fellix Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    Some performance could be "lost" over several iterations of driver releases, due to bug cleaning or when more broad compatibility and stability is being prioritized over fast execution, with more and more new games coming out.

7. zoomer-fodder

zoomer-fodder Guest

GPU:
    ASUS ROG Poseidon 780 SLI
    Yes You're right!

8. MBTP

MBTP Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX590
    Maybe i'm wrong but...
    1. PS4 and XBONE have GCN architecture correct?
    So multiplatform games will have GCN as a standard. So the Multiplataform games from now on will have to be optimized for GCN.
    2. Nvidia is probably worried about that, so what will they do? The same as always but at an extreme level.
    Gameworks and TWIMBP are the way Nvidia found to optimize games for their hardware, because on raw performance generaly AMD is ahead (correct if im wrong).
    They are trying to make what they have as the best potential to make up for the diference. Ex: witcher 3 hairworks, Too much tesselation without real purpose on efficiency.
    So even on Maxwell this doesnt run smooth.
    On AMD wich is not as evolved in tesselation area, will take a terrible hit.
    Maxwell has much more tesselation power then kepler(seems so) so you guys are seeing a greater diference in performance.
    But when hairworks is off. GCN seems to perform better than 700 series, as the game was optimized for GCN architecture.
    Its not about worsing the performance on the 700 series.
    Sorry for the english, still learning it.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  9. TheRealZepher

TheRealZepher Guest

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    That is the exact same as I am experiencing.

10. lantian

lantian Guest

wrong on so many levels, but mainly that console hardware optimizations have nothing to do with pc optimizations, the code will be pretty different, the api's are completely different, the access they have to hardware is far greater and actually if you where to compare these archs by raw power, as in stream processor vs stream processor kepler is far ahead of gcn in that area, again the game was not optimized for gcn architecture just because consoles use gcn, if any of the console optimizations make it to the pc, those are more likely hardware agnostic

11. fellix

fellix Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    Actually it doesn't, but Maxwell is much faster in rasterizing and processing pixels. For instance, Titan X alone has ~2.4x the pixel rate of 780Ti.

12. MBTP

MBTP Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX590
    Ok, so can you explain me or send me links that i can find information about the diferences?
    Thank in advance.

13. ravaged

ravaged Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2080 Super
    Game development is often messy, disorganized and chaotic. You have people grinding 12+ hours a day, with limited QA resources and frequently underpaid for what they do. You can't approach it like it's some ideal situation. Half these **** PC ports are done on the cheap by a separate development house who aren't in regular contact with the main dev.

But yeah, apart from that, Windows has a ton of overhead that consoles don't have to deal with. W10 is seeking to address that.

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    So.. that's 3 games that perform worse on Kepler. Total conspiracy. I'm with you on this one. 100%.

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    ManuelG from nvidia already said kepler "problem" would be addressed already. We shall see that in a new driver me thinks.

16. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    All of those games have issues in my kepler card, project cars performance under rain is crappy, gtaV runs nice but after 30-40 minutes it starts to stutter badly (last time I saw something like that was on Half life 2 with my ati 8500 lol)... and witcher 3 is a stutter fest frome the get go... and of course looks like it´s underperforming because graphics aren´t that great.

17. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yeah it looks like people haven't seen the post, or are just overlooking it for some reason.

18. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Since Nvidia is able to ratchet down or dial up performance, I'd like to see a 30% increase in the next driver.

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I saw someone saying there will be another magic r337 driver boost, more index buffers, more drawcalls, etc..
    Well Nvidia can always add more if they want to, but idk they seem to be holding back a bit.

Driver team has been raising and readjusting those values since forever, every new driver had higher values, r337 was the highest so far, then it slowly continued to r347.
    r352 saw another jump vs hotfix r349 (350.05), noticed it by 3dmark api calls test - single threaded dx11 ~200K, multi threaded a little too ~ 80K extra calls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Would be great if they re-released another table like that to see how much its improved further @r352 and how much there is still left to improve/raise.

And since nv driver team confirmed strange Kepler performance they will fix it too..
    Think I saw something similar once with Fermi or was it old school G80 & G200 chip, older chip variants were fixed slower then newer, but they fixed it non the less..

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  20. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    Ever notice those that bash hate start rumors.. find out there wrong.. nothing. No sorry.. nothing.. just back to hiding and watching.

And please don't start.. some sit on the out side do some benchmark and DUH OMG this is all the proof we need.. whos got the torch? I got the matches..

hehe.. just text.. Give NV some credit.. they are much smarter then this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.