Need help ocing

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by bloodfx, May 4, 2013.

1. bloodfx

bloodfx Guest

GPU:
    gtx 760
    Hi is there anyone here with a p8z68 deluxe motherboard who can help me oc my i7 2600k?
    I have been trying for 2 days to oc my processor with no luck, the best I can get is 3.8ghz with turbo enabled, other than that my cpu will stay at 34x and will not budge no matter what I do.
    I would really appreciate some help. :)

2. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Hi there, it should not be that difficult. Could be a BIOS issue as I've seen before with a Gen3 version of the board. Resetting everything worked.

I would first reset the current BIOS to defaults, save & reboot, flash to the latest BIOS available, save and reboot and reset the BIOS to defaults again.

Reboot once more and see if CPU behaves properly now. The Deluxe should run all 4 cores of your 2600K at 3.8GHz by default (with the compliments of ASUS). If all seems well, you can start to overclock.

Wat OS are you using and what software tools to check for speeds, temps, volts and such?

3. bloodfx

bloodfx Guest

GPU:
    gtx 760
    yea i can run at 3.8ghz no problem thats the default turbo settings, my problem is getting the cpu to go faster than 3.8, it just won't do it.

I,ve adjust cpu ratio to 40x and turbo ratio, it just seems they do nothing, even though it shows the speed inside the bios it should be going at.

I,m using ai suite 2 and cpu-z, along with prime95 and intelburntest.

Running windows 8 x64 pro, 16gb corsair vengance, corsair hx1050 psu, bios 3603.

Yea I've reflashed bios and reset several times, but still does the same.

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  4. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Could be that AI suite is playing tricks by reverting BIOS OC to defaults again after it starts automatically with windows. I used only BIOS settings to OC and installed only Fan Xpert from the suite installation options at first.

Where did you find a proper AI Suite II for your mobo? I ask that as ASUS didn't release a new AI Suite II lately for that particular mobo.

EDIT: for a minor OC of 40x100 you only need to adjust the "By All Cores (Can Adjust in OS)" setting from "Auto" to "40" in BIOS after setting "AI Overclock Tuner" to "Manual" or better yet "XMP". Nothing else is needed iirc.

5. bloodfx

bloodfx Guest

GPU:
    gtx 760
    Sorry my fault for lack of info, I used ai suite 2 fan expert and cpu temp/frequency senors only.

I did the all the ocing from bios only and I did what you said with ratios yesterday it does not work.
    I also read you can oc k's with turbo disabled which is what i want to do, but like I said the cpu multiplier will not go past 34x and when I say it won't go past 34x I mean it shows as 34x 24/7 in cpu-z even though its set to 40x in the bios.

Just noticed something odd, when i do fresh restart and run cpu-z it shows my cpu at 4.3ghz for a couple of seconds then goes down to 3.4ghz.
    It stays like that even if i run prime 95 or ibt at 100% cpu load.

Weird huh ? throttling issue?

6. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Did you change anything in the BIOS CPU configuration? I mean speedstep, C-states, etc.

EDIT: oh and tbh, there is absolutely no need to disable Turbo and such. You should just leave it on.

7. bloodfx

bloodfx Guest

GPU:
    gtx 760
    No I changed nothing, after reading a few guides the say to leave cstates on, on asus boards. I have speedstep on, c1 on, c3/c6 on.

8. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
  9. bloodfx

bloodfx Guest

GPU:
    gtx 760
    Haha wtf, your a diamond mate. Thanks alot buddy. :)
    So realtemp is throttling my cpu?

10. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Ur welcome :)
    Glad you found the culprit. Just read the thread I posted. It should be somewhere in the settings configuration of RealTemp ;)

Does it work properly now? You should probably get a custom CPU cooler to get over 40x100 safely. If you already got one, you can go up to 44x100 without changing anything in BIOS except for the multiplier.

11. bloodfx

bloodfx Guest

GPU:
    gtx 760
    Yea its working ok now, I,m testing 4.3ghz but failing. ><
    I have a artic cooling freezer 13 with arctic silver paste, is that ok?

12. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Then I'd settle with 'just' 42x for now ;)
    Bummer, but it seems to be a sweet spot then. If you can confirm 42x is stable anyway :S

After a few days (or maybe even weeks) you'll find out if it's completely stable (for your likings anyway). Try lots of games and other demanding stuff like 3Dmark and other test tools. IntelBurnTest is OK for stability checks and more important imho, temp checks.

So I'd set a stable baseline and go from there.
    Good luck!

EDIT: I'm sorry I'm not familiar with that specific cooler. It should be OK though even after the BS Hardocp review I just read ;)

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  13. bloodfx

bloodfx Guest

GPU:
    gtx 760
    Well I am testing 4.4 now at 1.256 to 1.275v stable offset mode with 3 hours blend 3 hours fft and 2 hours ibt at maximum, also temps reached 68c to 71 max.

Is that ok?
    Sorry I read voltage wrong its 1.334 to 1.344, but I,m lower the offset voltage by 0.05 increments till it crashes, so i can keep heat low as possible. ><

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  14. angmar

angmar Guest

Sandybridge is perfectly safe up to 1.4 as long as your temps are not high. I.E. less then 80c if your temps are from 75c or lower the safer it is to run voltages around that. If your already running 80+c don't add more voltage even though it wont break the cpu it will start to reduce its lifespan slightly although even still you will most likely have replaced it long before its ever in danger of failing. I had a 2500k that was oc'd with 1.4v that was a pc running 24/7 as a gaming/folding main pc although my temps were always no more then in the 60s at peak.

I had pretty much the same moherboard as you so I can really help you tweak that if you want add me on skype and I can get on the horn with you and really get you setup good. Add me on skype my username is Angmarr3

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2013
  15. bloodfx

bloodfx Guest

GPU:
    gtx 760
    Just bought a corsair h110 and some ic diamond 24 paste, that should help the oc now. :)

16. bloodfx

bloodfx Guest

GPU:
    gtx 760
    I added you to skype btw.