5870 Clicking Noise On Startup

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by SprkFade, Apr 1, 2010.

1. SprkFade

SprkFade New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 1GB
    I was wondering if anyone has heard of this issue and if it's something to worry about. I just noticed that when my PC boots up, right before the Windows 7 logon page is displayed my 5870 clicks twice. It also clicks once when it shuts down. They are pretty audible clicks, and it's always there on startup and shutdown. I've tried different power supplies, motherboards, and the clicks are still there. I don't believe the clicks were there when I was running XP, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Is this something I should worry about? Should I RMA the card? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    you sure it's the gpu? have u taken the side of the case off and listened as it's booting/powering down to isolate the noise?

(dont get 2 close those fans can be painfull :) )

3. SprkFade

SprkFade New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 1GB
    I'm pretty positive it's the GPU. The clicks are perfectly in sync with video/monitor changes. Right after it says Starting Windows and the lights swirl to form the Windows logo, when it makes the transition to the log on screen, it clicks 2-3 times. When I shutdown, right as the screen goes black, it clicks once. They are identical clicks every time. What's really strange, is that it doesn't click while doing anything else. I can play Battlefield Bad Company 2 all day and not hear a single click.

4. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    i reckon it's hdds. my pc does a clicking in vista but after that nothing.

it's as the windows logo appears i think...

could be gpu but i dont think so. anyways i been running my pc with a 5870 for months and no issues yet :)

5. SprkFade

SprkFade New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 1GB
    I have an SSD for my HDD so it doesn't make any noise. It's just really odd that it only does it at those two points. I'd imagine if there was a problem with the card, when it's under load, it would crash or click or something. But it only does it on startup and shutdown.

6. sideeffect

sideeffect Master Guru

GPU:
    FE 3070
    The GPU has no moving parts except the fan so I would suspect the fan spinning up is causing the clicks. You could probably test if its the fan by stopping it spinning while the system boots for a moment.

7. SprkFade

SprkFade New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 1GB
    I understand that, but it's definitely coming from the card. I've replaced the motherboard, cpu heatsink/fan, psu, hdd, and the sound still remains. The only good way to explain it is that it sounds power related. Like the card is switching modes or something and it's making an audible noise.

I'm going to try disconnecting the case fans and removing my sound card since those are the last parts I haven't checked, but I'm 99% sure it's the GPU, so I'm up for any suggestions if anyone has any.

Also, is there any way to disconnect the fan on the card without removing the heatsink assembly?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  8. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    but if the clicks only happen at startup and power-off and then when the pc is running u have no problems what's the biggy?

if u have stress tested pc and gpu over many hours just carry on....:)

i am 95 percent sure it's nothing to worry about that's ofc if u have done all the necessary stability tests.

9. Captain Oats

Captain Oats Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx760 2gb
    Try to use furmark and see if it clicks. If it does then the clicking sound comes probably from coils. You can try to RMA it then but to calm you down I can say that my 4870 have been clicking for 2 years and it's perfectly stable.

10. SprkFade

SprkFade New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 1GB
    I'll give furmark another run today when I get a chance. It's been stable for me so far, but I was just concerned that the click was a sign of failure. But after hearing that yours has been running for 2 years while clicking, that's a bit more relaxing.

11. ambler

ambler Guest

GPU:
    1gb 4890
    I wanted to comment that I've isolated the clicks to the sound card Xonar STX (PCI-E). The STX clicks twice on startup and when changing between analogue out settings. The sound card proximity to the GPU may be causing the confusion.

Although, I don't know anything more about the problem than the (probable) source.

EDIT

Perhaps this will help. If its your sound card, the clicks are perfectly normal (although I didn't hear them before I reformatted a few days back).

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/469384/xonar-essence-stx-clicking-noise-when-switching-mode

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  12. ceesay

ceesay Master Guru

GPU:
    2-X Titan X (Pascal) -SLI
    i get clicks on my 5970 as well ur not a lone dont worry ........:)