i7-4770k & Maximus VI Gene: Fresh Build BSOD with no OPS

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Ava, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Ava

Ava Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780
    I just put together a new computer build, but I'm having issues. Here are my specs;

i7-4770K (Batch L344 if it matters)
    Noctua NH-D14
    Asus MAXIMUS VI GENE
    Patriot Viper 3 16GB 2133
    Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD
    EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB
    NZXT H440
    Corsair RM 750W
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Prem (64-bit)

When I boot up, there are no issues reaching the BIOS. Since the H440 doesn't have a optical drive, I used BurnAware to copy the contents of the disk I bought onto my computer then created a boot USB drive with Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool. I went to my BIOS, booted the system from the USB and it loads the initial files, gives me the windows logo then BSODs. The error I receive is 0x00000124. I've tried looking into information extensively, but I'm really struggling to figure out what might be causing it and avoiding having to RMA the CPU itself.

I ran memtest86 for 2 hours and 15 minutes without any issues, so I really don't think it is the RAM. The temperatures for my MB and CPU are fine (30-37c) on BIOS. I've heard that updating your BIOS can help with certain issues regarding the i7-4770k and the Maximus VI Gene, but I don't know how to properly initiate that.

Since I don't have an OS installed, do I use the DOS version? How do I get the BIOS to recognize the files from the USB? I tried downloading them directly and placing them all on the USB, but nothing shows up in the BIOS update utility. Am I missing a step? Is it worth trying the BIOS update or is it most likely something that is faulty like the CPU itself?

I'm just a bit lost on what to do. If I can avoid having to disassemble the system to RMA things that might not be faulty, I want to. This is only my second build and the information I'm finding on other websites is either confusing or not applicable. I hope you guys can help me out. Thanks in advance and let me know if I need to provide or further clarify any information.

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    0x124 is cpuv issue.

You can update from USB just fine, you need to go to tools section in advanced uefi menu, EZ 2 flash utility

Start it and pinpoint to that unrared/unzipped .cap file, now it should update just fine.

I usually extract that .cap file in main C: partition and then when I start this EZ 2 flash it auto detects proper partition with this .cap file and updates just fine :)

3. Ava

Ava Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780
    I'm on EZ 2 Utility and it shows my USB on the list of devices, but shows nothing on it. After I unzipped the contents of the download, I tried putting them in as is and then also taking all the files out of the folders and putting them in. Neither option gives me anything on the USB once I access EZ 2 Utility. I see a lot of .exe, but no .cap. The USB is formatted to be a FAT32 as well. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. ):

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Did you connect it on the back in "special bios" usb port?

And is xmp enabled?

5. Ava

Ava Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780
    It's so funny that no matter how much I looked into and read about this, no one ever mentioned a special bios usb port. Lol. My bad. Didn't realize that was a thing. I also changed it to XMP enabled.

The USB shows up properly now and shows me the folders and DATA file, but no .cap or any file at all that I can access for BIOS updating. ): I'm sure I'm just missing something, like having the wrong version downloaded and placed on the USB, but I'm not sure.. I tried a couple different versions and have received the same results.

I really appreciate the help, Tj.

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
  7. Ava

Ava Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780
    You are AWESOME. I installed Windows 7 and so far so good! Thank you so much for providing that download for me. :) Lets hope that's the last time I see a BSOD!

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Cool np :), enjoy

9. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Lucky you!
    I can't get one here before somewhere around June.

10. Ava

Ava Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780

Hah. I was really lucky. I noticed that Amazon had some in stock suddenly and ordered it immediately. Lol. Good luck on yours! It seems to be a pretty popular case and for good reasons. It was SO easy to run great cable management in it!