Sound card, Speakers and Headphones

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by jeked, Apr 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeked

jeked Guest

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte GTX 580 1.5GB
    Hi,

So a while ago i designed a gaming rig here on guru3d and picked out the Asus Xonar D2X as my sound card. During the initial buy i somehow overlooked buying the soundcard and have now got the time and money to purchase it. If you cant tell i have no idea what to do when it comes to Sound so any and all help is welcomed.

Since then im sure there have been some changes to the sound card market so heres what im looking for:

Top range Gaming Sound card, 7.1 channel
    Top range headset, mic not needed but dont mind
    Top range speakers, to match card for channels

Now, i dont mind the cost as long as the money goes to something on the equipment that merits the cost.

I have been looking at the following 2 sound cards:
    - ASUS Xonar Essence STX 7.1
    - Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D

And in terms of speakers:
    - Creative GigaWorks S750

But i wouldnt have any idea whats good, what works together or where to start.

I guess first off, what do you need to know of my current rig to help?

Regards,
    Jeked

2. h0d

h0d Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Sea Hawk
    Personally, I don't recommend the creative sound blaster since it only kind of increase the volume and do nothing else. I've heard much better from the asus one. Good shopping !

3. sparx1981

sparx1981 Guest

GPU:
    ATI 7970 3gb
    I picked up the Asus D2X recently and I love it. Personally, if I were you I'd go for one of these over the essence. Yes they're older but you'll pick them up cheaper. It does loads more than I need it to but the quality is great.

Due to the size of my of my office I've got them hooked up to a set of T40's but their virtual speaker settings are impressive too.

4. nikavelli

nikavelli Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti
    I can tell you have no idea...

First off, the Xonar Essence STX and Recon3D are complete polar opposites in terms of sound quality. Nowhere in the same league as each other. By no means would I ever recommend a Recon3D. It's like a step backwards from the older X-Fi's in terms of hardware..

Second off, the Xonar Essence can only output stereo analog, not 7.1. Why would you want 7.1 anyways, most games cannot output 7.1 sound.

As for "top range headset", if mic is not needed I would get a pair of stereo headphones instead. I'd recommend looking at Sennheiser or Beyerdynamics.

If you want "top range speakers", I would shy away from Creative's offerings. There are better alternatives out there.

Without any type of budget range, it's going to be hard making recommendations. Let us know what kind of money you're looking to spend total so we can build you a sound system.

5. jeked

jeked Guest

GPU:
    So firstly thanks for the replys so far.

In terms of a budget the sky is the limit here. If you must have one for all I would say probs around the 2k mark but happy to go more if you guys think it's worth going higher.

In terms of why I want 7.1, in short if most games won't use it then I would go for what they do use which I believe your saying is stereo?

I have seen a few Sennheiser headphones I like in stores so I'll look into them a little more. Any reccomendations on this front?

And yes I would like high end speakers so two questions, what should I be looking at in terms of alternatives and what price am I looking at?

Oh and your right, I have no idea so thank you for any and all help once again.
    Regards,
    Jeked

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  6. nikavelli

nikavelli Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti
    In terms of discrete multichannel audio, 5.1 is the standard for games.

Sennheiser, the lowest tiered model I would go is the HD555's or HD558's. Anything higher (HD595/HD598's, HD600's, HD650's, HD700's) is up to you. Beyerdynamics make great headphones also, check out the DT880's and DT990's.

Speakers come in all shapes and sizes so it's harder to recommend. If you want "PC" type speakers, ones with 3.5 mm/RCA inputs, I would recommend the Klipsch ProMedia series. If you're looking for more traditional bookshelf or floorstanding speakers, you would need a receiver/amp to drive them first. So you need to decide what direction you wanna go.

If you decide to go with internal sound cards, ASUS just released a new model (Phoebus). It's a high quality card that can output multichannel analog (up to 7.1 I believe), unlike the STX. It also has a headphone amp that can drive up to 300 ohms.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  7. DualCORE1

DualCORE1 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 295x2
    probelly go with a av reciever 5.1 speaker setup and a sound card that supports optical

8. jhelsas

jhelsas Guest

GPU:
    PC HD 7970
    First of all, consult this site:
    http://www.head-fi.org/

I don't think very highly about 5.1 or 7.1, so bear in my all my recomendations lean toward stereo systems.

IF, IF and only IF(which I don't, at least not now) I had US$ 2k to spend, to assemble a PC sound system, I would probably do something like this:

1) Asus Xonar STX(this one I already have :D)
    2) A pair of speakers like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-HS80M-...HCB4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335027423&sr=8-1

3) they need a XLR preamp, but i'm not sure what to choose

4) IF exclusively for gamming, either an ATH-A700/AD700 as headphone, but I wouldn't use a headphone solely for gamming.

5) You will still have about US$ 800 - 900 floating around so you can try to afford something like those as music heaphones:

5.1) http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Dy...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1335027880&sr=1-1
    5.2) http://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic-...UTF8&coliid=I1TQMBQ673TNE1&colid=A9KDVS9UC11D
    5.3)http://www.amazon.com/HiFiMan-HE-50...2JCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335033581&sr=8-1
    5.4) any other that you feel like buying

6) probably a headphone amp, since many higher-end headphones(e.g. the 5.3 above mentioned) require a headphone amp.

Well, that's how I would do it. If it's worth the price, it's up to you, for me, I would even considerer, given the money, of going higher, but aparently this is your first step in hi-fi audio, this would going to be a HUGE leap from where you are now.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  9. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    Asus STX, Beyerdynamic DT880, RX-V671, Klipsch 5.1

The Creative Recon3D cards are a backstep for Creative Labs.
    Their best gaming card is still the T-HD (Titanium HD, but will not drive 600-Ohm headphones).
    Asus is just launching their new Phoebus gaming card, so maybe wait on it.
    Anyway the current Asus Xonar Essence STX will drive 600-Ohm headphones.

The Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 600-Ohm headphones sell for $240.

The Yamaha RX-V671 A/V receiver is selling for around $360 shipped (Electronics Expo),
    normal price is $550 to $600.
    The RX-671 can be connected to the Internet so you can listen to
    any radio station that transmits over the Internet.
    Has good built in amplifiers and has headphone surround sound and can power 600-Ohm headphones.
    Full Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master audio

You can connect the HDMI output on your graphics card to the RX-V671, HDMI can carry full 7.1 Blu-ray audio.

Newegg is sell the Klipsch HD 500 5.1 speaker system for $280 shipped.

You could get the RX-671, Klipsch HD500 & DT880s now
    and decide on a sound card after the Asus Phoebus has at least had several reviews.

10. nikavelli

nikavelli Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti
    Except the DAC's found on sound card's are better than what's inside most receivers. So your proposed setup would actually be a downgrade in sound quality.

11. jeked

jeked Guest

GPU:
    Wow thanks for all the information and so far. I'll have too look into all of this inf and do some research and get back to you by rest assured that you advice hasn't fallen on deaf ears.

Talk soon,
    Jeked

12. Weecka

Weecka Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX4080 OC
    I had my xonar D2X for almost half a year and all i can say it's absolutelly awesome :) with headphones (has some nice features as simulating 7.1 surround on stereo headphone, though i don't really like using it) or 5.1 speakers it just sound so amaxing :) I had creative x-fi before and from my personal oppinion i would never buy anything else than asus. but that's only my personal oppinion.

13. jeked

jeked Guest

GPU:
    Sound Card: so the more I look the more and more I like the look of the asus xonar essential stx. only thing I'm worried about is I have a gigabyte gtx 580 on my mobo (see mobo name on side) will his be an issue with placement do you think?

Also, does the stx come with front head or front panel for headphone jack?

Headphones: I have looked at the ones suggested and dont mind a couple but I'm going to go in store and try a few first to see what I like.

What do you guys think about the Sennheiser PC 360 Headset?
    Edit: nevermind didn't realize they were open backed
    Basically I'm looking for some headphones that are closed, not USB and have good gaming performance.

Edit 2: if I use a USB headphone does this eliminate the soundcard? I stumbled across the razor Megalodon which is USB but though they sound good I assume USB means it won't use my sound card or the inboard sound correct? If that's the case is I worth purchasing only headphones if they are USB and great headphone or will dedicated card always sound better?

Speakers: needs more research but will look into the klipsch ProMedia speakers.

Sorry for noob questions.
    Regards,
    Jeked

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  14. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    It be a waste of money getting a usb headset, their in-graded sound card at most times are not that good. You best bet is to get a non usb headphone then use it with which ever sound card you select. If you need a mic just use a clip on mic.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  15. nikavelli

nikavelli Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti
    Like GenClaymore said, a USB headset would bypass your sound card. You do not need a USB headset.

You might want to consider the Xonar Xense bundle. The sound card is approacing ST/STX quality and it comes with a Sennheiser PC350 headset, which are specially tuned to match the sound card and also closed back. The sound card can also output multichannel analog to your Klipsch ProMedia's.

16. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    All Xonar cards come with a connection for the front mini-jack.
    The Essence STX (& ST) should do a better job of powering headphones then any USB connection.
    I used the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1, work fine with my Essence STX.

17. jeked

jeked Guest

GPU:
    Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX

Alright then, choosing headphones. So i found a couple that i like the look/sound of and im needing help from more experienced people.

Headphone Options:
    Audio Technica ATH-A700
    Philips Fidelio L1
    DENON AH-D2000
    Cresyn C720H
    Sennheiser HD 650

And finally, the speakers. Im tempted to go with the suggested Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers but im wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the Antec Soundscience Rockus 3D 2.1. From what i read the 3D virtual surround sound is a let down but with that disabled they seem to be of high quality speakers for that price?

Is there a better 2.1 speaker set that i should be looking at here?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  18. nikavelli

nikavelli Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti
    The ATH-A700's are not even in the same league as those other headphones, except the C720H's which I know nothing about. Most of those headphones are low impedance (under 32 ohms) also. Technically, you wouldn't need the STX's headphone amp to drive them. The headphones I have the most experience with on that list are the HD650's. They are highly rated among headphone enthusiasts, I would recommend those. Personally though, I would take a look at Beyerdynamics. The DT880's and DT990's are very capable headphones also. The only question I have for you is earlier you eluded to not wanting open back headphones. Did you change your mind?

Never heard of Soundscience Rockus. Klipsch sounds like a safer bet.

19. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    If you are going to stick with 2.1 "PC speaker sets" then (even though they are kind of pricey) I would highly recommend the Corsair SP2500 set. In my opinion they sound better overall to the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's. As for the Rockus 3D 2.1's, I think they sound average at best (and sometimes awful) and they are WAY over priced, much more so than the Corsairs.

20. jeked

jeked Guest

GPU:
    Ok.

So i had a look at some of the Beyerdynamic range and after looking at the two suggested (DT880 and DT990) i realised your comment about closed and open backs was a problem. I figure i have speakers if i want to share so i really want my headphones to not leak. So from that i have found the Beyerdynamic DT770 Premium (600 ohm). Can all models come in closed or open back as i found custom versions of the DT990 with closed backs on sale...?

It will by a Beyer though as from what i can tell the 770 premium is better (in tests anyway) than the 650 and if Beyer 880/990 is better than 770 Prem. then i cant go wrong depending on answer to backing question above

After reading around i found i found the reviews/comparisons tended to favor the Klipsch ProMedia over the Logitech Z623 and after reading about the Corsair SP2500 set i am underwhelmed from a completely research oriented viewpoint.

All this being said i wont know until i try them all out in person but i think that's where i'm looking.

Recap:
    Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT770 Premium (600 ohm)
    Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX
    Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

Woulf people agree that if even if they dont agree with them as the best they would be a decent first foray into pc audio? Or is more work needed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.