H100i Replacement

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Sethos, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Sethos

Sethos Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Sea Hawk X
    Hey,

So I've been using Corsair for quite some time now. First I got the H100 which had the infamous grinding noise, which I solved with the Molex connections. I later got the H100i which has been working for a while now. However tonight it started with this high-pitched squeak and apparently that isn't an unknown phenomena for this cooler.

So I installed their link software and tried to firmware update it, got an error constantly, tried their latest link software and the "Update Firmware" button was gone. It kept reporting the H100i's firmware as the one I've tried to apply and it crashed.

All while it's still whining ... Oh and the LED never worked properly, just shows blue and green.

So my current stance is; **** Corsair and their terrible hardware. I'd love an H20 replacement that will fit in my HAF X on my 3930K and maintain equal to or better performance.

Any recommendations?

2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    My H100i died, went back to my relaiable Noctua.

3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Try this cooler out

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=404

I have the TD02. It has a thicker 45mm rad and different fin array than normal AIO coolers.

Using it on my 4770K @ 4.5GHz in push>pull with 4 Corsair SP120's at 7v (very quiet) and max load with 1.24v which is 100% stable after 6 hours in OCCT linpack mode AVX enabled, its 81C. Remember though AVX produces an immense amount of heat output and haswell's are notorious for being hot.

If I run a loop of Asus Real Bench which gives a much better read out of day to day temps vs pc usage max temps are 64C. During heavy gameplay in BF4 which is a CPU monster of a game the temps have never exceeded 55C.

Normal idle temps are around 18-25C normal PC tasks have it around 34-44C.

Using IC Diamond paste.

It's a very good cooler, looks nice, built quality is awesome.

Just a few niggles, the tubing is rubbish and straw-like it just looks cheap.

The mounting system is complete pants, I strongly recommend fitting the block with the mobo OUTSIDE the case first as screwing the washers on just pushed the backplate off for me everytime.

Also if you want to run the stock fans which has excellent airflow and also produce an excellent 3.5mm of static pressure at full load they are EXTREMELY LOUD!!!! I mean seriously loud as hell!!!

4. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy

5. chasus

chasus Guest

GPU:
    -
    Cooler Master Nepton 280L should give better themal performance than the 100i but with a higher noise level. I suppose thermal and acoustic are just directly proportional.

Or, NZXT Kraken X60 is an option. It sits between 100i and 280L thermally as well as acoustically.

Ref: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7738/closed-loop-aio-liquid-coolers

6. Sethos

Sethos Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Sea Hawk X
    Appreciate the replies guys.

I've asked around, read reviews, look at what's in stock locally etc. and think I may have fallen for the Kraken X60. However at the German retailer they seem to have a bunch of options for different fans, the ones in stock are with these fan options;

- Alpenföhn Wing Boost Plus PWM

- Akasa Viper PWM

- BitFenix Spectre PWM

- Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro

Should I just get the stock unit or is any of the above fan options superior?

7. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Bitfenix make good fans, pretty quiet too.

I would just buy the stock cooler with the stock fans and then splash out and get some Noctua AF-140's.