Only AMD’s Pirate Islands GPUs and Radeon R9 380X Will Debut on the 20nm Node

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Rich_Guy, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Source :- Wccftec h again :p

2. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Can we make a forum subsection for unsubtantiated rumors, getting a little out of hand in front page news

3. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI

So just a link to Wc c ftech then?

4. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Wccftech is working overtime to get hits, it's becoming annoying. They're basically rewording the same crap and posting it as news.

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Imo just so it gets more traffic there.. But always with it may, possible, could have, I can write the same :p

I remember how he trolled everyone about 4790K will be Z97 exclusive, also all happy linked some screens about intel PR and then saying those that contradicted this are full of bs and drama queens. The irony. :D

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, we know AMD will have some extras at 16nm FinFET and lower. We saw the deal and it is logical AMD will focus on that to get it right from start.

One GPU on 20nm may be pretty much enough before going for 16nm FinFET which could come sooner than 20nm if that had just a little bigger delay, I am not sure about APU much, their plan to bring APU down to 45-64Watt is not going to be easy on 28nm.

They are abandoning APUs too, Top chips shown but not in final products... A10 micro-6700T/FX-7600p. While later is to be on market soon, it already has huge delay and I am not even sure if it will come in configuration it would be most attractive to customers.

AMD wake UP! You do not build notebook APU to pair it with dGPU, because then you are competing with intel in CPU+dGPU category in same form factor wattage, and there it is plain defeat.

Right now only APU vs CPU+dGPU can win in same wattage by allowing smaller form factor with same performance.

7. BigToad1

BigToad1 Guest

GPU:
    APU
    Good day! I have been monitoring the situation with FX-7600P laptops for like a month. At many German warehouses and other European stores, there are already 4 MSI models with FX-7600P :

1) GX60-5CD81FD (0016FL-SKU2) -- about €900 -- 39.6 cm (15.6") screen, Free DOS , DVD-SuperMulti
    2) GX60-5CD16H11 (0016FL-SKU1) -- about €1100 -- 39.6 cm (15.6") screen, Win 8.1 , DVD-SuperMulti
    3) GX70-5CD81FD (00176L-SKU2) -- about €1000 -- 43.9 cm (17.3") screen, Free DOS , Blu-ray Writer
    4) GX70-5CD8H11B (00176L-SKU1) -- about €1200 -- 43.9 cm (17.3") screen, Win 8.1 , Blu-ray Writer

Prices are approximate, and could be lower in your country if you have lower taxes.

These specifications are the same for all models:
    * AMD FX 7600P APU
    * AMD Radeon R9 M290X discrete GPU with 2 GB VRAM
    * Full HD screen with resolution 1920x1080
    * Hybrid storage: 1 TB 7200 rpm hard drive together with 128 GB solid state drive
    * WLAN 802.11n , Bluetooth 4.0 , Webcam

More technical details could be seen under this Facebook post:

facebook.com/gamingmsi/posts/746255912104913

Photo of Laptop |:banana:| i [dot] imgur [dot] com/vutfkWi.png

According to my information, they would be selling them in 1-2 weeks if nothing changes...

P.S. If you want to see it with your own eyes, you could visit cyberport.de website , type FX7600P in search bar, search and open laptops in new tab, then use Google Translate for links. Some websites have quietly removed these leaks from their online listings though

P.P.S. I am glad that MSI has decided to make a version with Free DOS, that will help to save a lot of money - €200, about 20% of total price! I have no desire to pay anything to Micro$$oft : not because I am going to pirate Windows, but because I am a Linux guy and prefer fully free software like this beautiful OS without any closed source elements - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trisquel

8. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    lol :).. well i see a second link for Videocard z too.

More seriously, it is maybe time we do a rumor threads and one for news threads ( can keep it in news with a subsection ).

This said rumor could allways been interessant the article of WCCF is less..

Yes, maybe AMD have decided to go straight to 20nm ( personally i heard not this, 28 > 16nm Finfet > 16nm Finfet+ ). But well, the rest of the article is purely self made by them..

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  9. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    idd
    +1

10. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    So what happened to the power house monster that was going to be Volcanic Islands?

Also, at first I was thinking that not jumping down to 20nm for APU's was a little silly. As these chips would benefit greatly from lower tdp and maybe higher clock speeds.

But seen as they are moving towards 16nm instead that makes way more sense. APU's will see massive improvements jumping from 28nm to 16nm. A massive reduction in die size would mean much lower tdp, probably a greater number of cores, and hopefully better clock speeds too.

This shrinkage of die size could lead them to stick in an even more powerful iGPU as well.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Rest is c/p from AMD forums, and I am aware about those and other notebooks in preparation, but all dual graphics 15.6"+ .

And what is the point of those? One is better with intel CPU in them. AMD could made single APU netbooks and own huge chunk of market around that.

But all those 7150/7350 are so overpriced not many will buy. There are so many paradoxes around mobile launches that I see it nearly as sabotage against AMD.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    its still here, apparently.. Waiting for Nvidia full GM210.

13. BigToad1

BigToad1 Guest

GPU:
    APU
    Sorry for c/p , I was too lazy to rewrite my message from AMD forums about the same thing...

There are plenty of problems with Intel CPUs. For example: all modern Intel CPUs contain a secret radio chip ( Intel anti-theft 3.0 technology ) which could allow to remotely disable, or erase the data, from any modern Intel-based computer

14. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I had to google intel anti-theft cause it sounded too silly to be true. Well that name. Not that they can spy on us and do whatever :D Hooray for intel

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Granted.

Yes, security issues are quite something, both AMD and intel are expected by linux community to have backdoors in CPU level encryption.
    If AMD has kill switch is not known to me, but intel's kill switch is known and service provided to customers will end Jan 2015, therefore customers will no longer be able to remotely disable their devices, but feature will remain.
    Me: Who will have access to it now? (btw, CPUs can be reenabled with proper code)

Apple and Google is not alternative at all:
    http://www.prisonplanet.com/google-...your-cellphone-videos-to-law-enforcement.html

Both companies have software "kill switch" inside for long time already. Allowing to do any kind of manipulation they want including removing single app, transmitting any kind of data or full wipe.

16. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Now THAT is what I want!!

That R9 390X will 100% be mine if those are the specs! :D

Would be a worthy upgrade from a 7970.

17. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Related Rumour

HBM 3D Stacked Memory is up to 9X Faster Than GDDR5 – Coming With AMD R9 390X and R9 380X 20nm Pirate Islands

See wccf for more (slides and what not). :p

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    Very interesting news.

So if Gddr5 is 28gb/s per chip, then these 256gb/s are what real ~1tb/s?

Funny how nvidia pulled the short straw and ends up with AMD's standard.. Instead of working together they got stubborn and bet on HMC, if they used HBM we would already see it now by GM210 for sure.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Even if HMC was ready by today nV would not use it. It is not cheap enough to over shine GDDR5 performance/watt/price.
    Next year we are likely to see some HMC used, but in server sector only where initial cost matters little and watts, heat, performance matters a lot over long time.

As far as HBM goes, I think I missed in past doubled command queue.
    And from images wtftech posts you can easily read many other things, which are apparently above their heads.
    There is image showing not only use of HBM, but non-volatile memory used in APU, they would not even notice. Some of those images they post are idealistic depictions, probably for year 2016-2018.

20. BigToad1

BigToad1 Guest

GPU:
    APU
    CPU kill switches

Let's assume that we cannot trust to AMD. There is a 3rd large company which manufactures CPUs for desktop computers and is not connected to Intel/AMD.
    Its Loongson. They have MIPS-based architecture, but also could run x86 software through hardware emulation (despite there is 30% performance hit)
    Loongson-based PCs are really cheap, but it is difficult to get them if you don't live in China because of their limited availability.
    But, even if those CPUs don't have any backdoors, the switch to Loongson is difficult, certainly not suitable for average user

About mobile phones: there are several Chinese companies which manufacture chips for them. Unlike Taiwan,
    China is not collaborating with NSA, but they install their own hardware backdoors, sometimes.
    Even if we would assume that all them are "clean", most of those phones would end up running Android,
    which could have both Google backdoors and also added Chinese software backdoors at the same time

Sadly, it's very difficult to get a PC/smartphone/tablet/etc which does not have any backdoors at all... Modern electronics is pretty much screwed up in this area

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014