To upgrade or not

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Jonnygrunge, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Jonnygrunge

Jonnygrunge Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4090 SG1
    Hi All,

I have at the moment a 980Ti AMP Extreme. I am seriously considering upgrading to the very well reviewed Palit GeForce GTX 1080 GameRock Premium Edition. I reckon I can sell my Ti easily for between £300 to £350 as its an excellent over clocker , meaning the upgrade will only really set me back a few hundred.

My gaming setup is in my sig below. I game at 1440p (60Hz) on an excellent Dell Ultra TN panel.

Question is the upgrade viable?, seems to be reading reviews, especially the clocks that can be achieved on the GameRock Premium. Nice little FPS boost and lower power consumption.

I was looking at the 1080Ti but I have no immediate plans for VR or 4K gaming and I think it would be a little overkill and expensive to be honest.

Nothing or little has yet been said of Vega benchmark wise, but I have had horrendous driver issues in the past on AMD and really like NVidia cards, although not a complete fan boy. I reckon it will be on a par with the 1080, and given NVidia's recent price drops makes it an attractive card. I am concerned that although VEGA sounds great it may run into similar teething issues as the Ryzen CPUs (RAM issues).

Any thoughts as ever appreciated.

Jon.

2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I dont know man, I game 1440@96fps with my GTX970. Most games run stable on high settings and medium for shadow.

If you must game Ultra settings, get 1080Ti. I'd say skip this generation and look for Vega or next Nvidia generation.
    980Ti is capable of running 1440p@60fps without much compromise.

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I just went from Zotac AMP! 980ti to Palit GameRock 1080. My 980ti overclocked to 1470mhz I never ran it at that speed though because I'm really sensitive to noise.

I hate high temps and I can't stand noisy fans. So I ran the card either at 1304mhz or in temp priority mode at 80C where the card would downclock below 1304mhz.

The GameRock is great. 2000mhz on the core, no problem, stock voltages. Barely audible. I haven't tried to push it past that because I'm happy with 2000mhz on the core. VRAM does 11000mhz no problem.

The card is a beast, really impressive. Am I seeing a fps boost compared to my 980ti @1100-1304mhz? Absolutely. Less noise and less heat (it TW3 it maxes out around 66C with uncapped fps).

A lot of games will run with the gpu under 50C even, it's an incredible cooler.

4. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I saw those 1080 prices drops too. Hard to resist the itch, isn't it?

As usual, there will always be something better(?) right around the corner but buying right after a price drop is usually a pretty good deal. Your 980ti is a great card so it will fetch good money. A 1080 seems like a fair upgrade for a fair price.

If it's anything like my 1070, it's going to be nearly silent too.

5. Jonnygrunge

Jonnygrunge Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4090 SG1
    Fantastic man! Really looking forward to this upgrade now! Thanks for the comprehensive replay - Great rig btw!

6. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    I've recently done an 'upgrade' from 980ti to 1080.

My 980ti was a watercooled with a Kraken G10 and was running at 1500mhz core (temps 50-55'c), awesome card.

However I wanted a 1080ti, but they were not in stock anywhere at the time, and I want a custom cooled one - like an eVGA ACX etc etc so i can easily resuse my Kraken G10 (stock FE is abit more awkward to mount a AIO water cooler on).

Sooooo...

I decided to get an eVGA 1080 FTW Hyrbid, and I have 90 days (well about 80 now) in which I can step up to a 1080ti, hopefully an ACX cooler one.

This FTW Hybrid is just epic thou, it boosts to 2050 out of the box and i'm running it 2150/11000 and its load temps are 40'c - and thats proper load like running a benchmark with 99% GPU usage for an hour.

Its so good im considering skipping the step-up, although in reality i'd be stupid not to and it was part of my strategy from the start, plus I got my hands on the free game code for Ghost recon Wildlands

In terms of its performance vs the 980ti @ 1500mhz, its not massive, but it is noticeable- around 15-25% depending on the game.

Also if your coming from a pretty low clocked 980ti like you are, then you will see a bigger difference going to a 1080, especially one that will clock high like the Gamerock.

However i''d highly recommend looking into an eVGA card to give you the step-up option. You can get the FTW Hybrid from Scan for £576
    It will beat the Palit GameRock temps by about 20'c, be quieter and probably overclock better - or at least hold its maxiumum boost clock longer as it will be alot cooler.

Then you are already £575 towards a 1080ti if you want to step-up in the next ferw months and pay the difference - say £150 - if you want to !!!!!