The GTX 1070 dilemma

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by mzolcins, Mar 28, 2017.

1. mzolcins

mzolcins Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070, 8GB
    Hi.

In near future I’m going to build myself a gaming PC. I’ve already made up my mind about most of the components. However, I can’t decide which graphics card to choose. I’m thinking about one of the following:
    • MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    • MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    • GIGABYTE GTX 1070 Windforce OC
    • GIGABYTE GTX 1070 Gaming G1
    • ASUS GTX 1070 ROG Strix
    • ASUS GTX 1070 ROG Strix OC
    • EVGA GTX 1070 SUPERCLOCKED

I’ve watched many YouTube videos with comparisons, read articles, however, the more I think about it the less I am certain. Apart from that I couldn’t find any video/article, in which all seven of the graphics cards would be compared using the same setup, so I can’t be sure how much fps would I have playing my games (WoW: Legion, Fallout 4, ME Andromeda, Witcher 3, BF 1).

My current setup:
    • Core i5 7600K
    • ASUS Z270-A Prime
    • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB 3000Hz)
    • Crucial MX300 275 GB
    • Cooler Master HYPER 212 EVO
    • Corsair RM 650i

That’s why I’m asking: which one is the one to buy? I would like my card to perform well, without any overclocking. I’d like the card to be reliable as well – meaning I don’t want it to melt or fall apart one day after the warranty expires. I don’t really care about RGB lighting or the “gaming” look.

Thanks very much for your time :)

Cheers

2. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    When you think about pascal and equal chips , in your case the 1070, you don't think much about performance, the reality is that with any of those you would have similar performance.

You should concentrate more on the cooling, as better cooling will give the Boost more uptime and the more capable the cooler the quieter it is. Although i didn't look at reviews regarding the 1070, if it's any similar in cooling to the 1080, i'd bet out of all those that the strix has the best cooling. Regarding the Strix Vs the Strix OC, just get the cheapest one.

3. Jujudlapampa

Jujudlapampa Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX1070 2088/2302
    Had the same dilemma, went for a Strix OC, and I don't regret it one bit.

The OC version was like 20€ ~ more expensive, but a factory OC (rock stable) is worth it, knowing that you most likely will be able to push it even more (which I could).
    But it shouldn't matter, in most cases you will be able to get the same clocks as the OC version.

Cooling-wise I've never seen it above 65°C so far.

The MSI Gaming X is also really good.