IS IT OK TO DISABLE NvCplDaemon, NvMcTray and Nwiz IN MSCONFIG,AS STARTUP

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by gsxrjunkie, May 31, 2006.

1. gsxrjunkie

gsxrjunkie Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG gts250oc
    just as the post says is it safe to untick these, NvCplDaemon, NvMcTray and Nwiz from starting up.thanks

2. DlocPuWons

DlocPuWons Master Guru

GPU:
    2x SLI eVGA Gefore 7800GT 460/1200
    Yes. Only, keep nvcpldaemon running if you have your card overclocked through coolbits. Otherwise, get rid of them.

3. hawkeyefan

hawkeyefan Maha Guru

GPU:
    8800GT @ 787/1944/2244
    yes, and even better, you can go into Administrative Tools> Services > Nvidia Display Service and set it to "manual" or "disabled" so even if you use Coolbits or RivaTuner to overclock, the service won't start up at every reboot

4. MoNkEy_mAn

MoNkEy_mAn Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d GeForce 7900 GS - DDR3 512Mb
    are you sure that works ^??

5. Eliminator

Eliminator Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX280/Dell 2405FPW
    im interested in this too.... how about explaining what each process does before we go and break something?... ill start

nvmctray - only used if you enable the tray icon otherwise disable it

6. SABB69

SABB69 Banned

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS @650-1000
    dont disable nvcpl it controls overclocking and refresh rates if you override them .

and all i see the nwiz do is put a little box on your tray to get to control panel quicker so get rid of it.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  7. UncleGuito

UncleGuito Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4850
    Is nvcpldaemon the same as nvcpl?

Also, I dont see nvcpl.exe running in the proccesses view, is it hidden or something? I use coolbits, and it is enabled in msconfig.
    I do see nvsvc32.exe though (what is it?).

8. hawkeyefan

hawkeyefan Maha Guru

GPU:
    8800GT @ 787/1944/2244
    nvcpl.exe = nvcpldaemon, same exact thing

you won't see it as a running process, because it is a simple startup daemon, which runs only briefly when Windows loads to set your clock speed.

nvsvc32.exe is the Nvidia Display Driver Service. Which apparently does nothing, and you absolutley can safely set to manual or disable it completely without any side effects. The first thing I do when installing new drivers is to disable the Service. You don't need the Display Service to overclock. I don't use Profiles, so I don't know whether you need the Service for those...doubt it.

if you are overclocking, the only startup process that needs to run is the nvcpldaemon (nvcpl.exe)

NWiz
    NVMcTray
    Nvsvc32.exe

remove these from startup via msconfig even if you are overclocking

Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  9. Satan

Satan Guest

GPU:
    some
    How much will this cut boot time?

I also disabled all of the Norton programs in the taskbar from opening on boot. This is fine right?

-Satan

10. hawkeyefan

hawkeyefan Maha Guru

GPU:
    8800GT @ 787/1944/2244

don't know exactly how much, but it cuts down on memory usage as well as boot time.

usually when benchmarking, I use msconfig to turn off literally everything at boot, and selectively reenable only the startup processes I really need after that. I can get to the Start button a lot faster now, that much is for sure :rock:

11. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    ohh yes get rid of that stuff from startup.. and perhaps if your looking for faster boots get that TuneXP utility.. its great for knockin alot of stuff off your time

12. GFDuke

GFDuke Member

GPU:
    Radeon 5870 l
    Do yourself a favor and get rid of Norton. Use avg antivirus its free and dosnt suck up you resourses. I have used this for years now and have never had a single problem.

http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10320142.html

13. wrathofgod

wrathofgod Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 8800 GTX @ 660/1100