Intel Core i7-6950X Engineering Sample Spotted and Sells for $1950

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 2, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Sukovsky

Sukovsky Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    AMD please rise again. So sick of this overpriced stuff without progress. I mostly game and still see zero reason for upgrading my 4 year old system.

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well I wouldn't even buy that ES even if I wanted a Broadwell-E 6950X right now.

4. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I'm quite happy with my good old i7 2600k cpu which easily overclocks to 4.6/4.7GHz on air...

5. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    But them E5-2670 ES deals for 70 bucks right now, jfc.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Like 95% of games we play are GPU bottlenecked, not CPU. Even if newer processors were double the speed of older ones, there would be like no visible difference anyway.

7. wsgroves

wsgroves Guest

Finally may take the plunge and upgrade my 3960x, RIVE machine. Been a trusty sidekick for a long time. I still do not really care for any of the motherboards on the new platform though so we shall see.
    Also, lot of people do other things that are cpu intensive on their gaming machine, so this cpu would be great in that regard.

8. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I think I'd go for the 6850K - highest frequency plus more than enough cores/threads, 6/12!

9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    That chip will go down in history as being one of the most robust and reliable chips Intel ever released.

It was a friggin' steal.

10. mmicrosysm2

mmicrosysm2 Guest

GPU:
    8 MB SDRAM
    Yes it will, still loving my 2600K and never needed to OC yet.

11. A7ibaba

A7ibaba Member

GPU:
    ASUS ROG Matrix R9 290X
    :D Its not that old to go in history.

12. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    I don't see anything reasonable to convince me to upgrade my trusty 3930K yet.

13. Vtech

Vtech Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    I'm ok with this, no need to feed the constant upgrade every year or two, if the gaming industry is ok with the hardware I'm ok not spending money on my PC, just buy a bicycle a surf board, go on a travel, do something different.

14. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    I'm really looking forward to a new CPU, but Intel is being either boring with Kaby Lake or Very Expensive with its interesting CPUs... so am looking forward to seeing what AMD brings to the table later this year.

To be honest I am partly after the power savings at idle while having something respectably stronger than what I have now (Xeon X5680 6c/12t @ 3.8GHz++) at doing stuff like encoding video etc (and good for games ofc!)

My current PC pulls about 150watts at desktop. Over a year that power bill really gets jacked up, keeps me thinking each year that wasted power could be sunk into a newer gen setup.

15. kosh_neranek

kosh_neranek Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070@2101 Boost
    Still rocking my i7-3930K with no problem @4.8GHZ. Just why on earth are the new low ends (6800K6850K)of these beasts still just 6core?Seriously, my CPU is 32nm all the new ones are at 14nm..5years later and very little has changed although cores have shrinked so much. Absolutely no interest after 5 years of using a high end CPU. Intel you are pi$$ing me off.I could really use extra cores for virtualization and not having to sacrifice a limb for it.

16. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I picked up this 5820k new for $300~. What are you smoking

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    6800k the successor to 5820k?

18. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Why does it have a hole in the Lid/Cover. I can see components underneath. Wouldn't the TIM be forced down there.

I know most TIMs are none conductive these days but not all are. Strange hole right on the shield is weird.

19. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    So it can breath? :D.

Actually thats really interesting, maybe because its one of the engineering samples they made that hole there to easily remove the TIM to test bendability?

Just speculation tho.

20. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Another thing sprang to my mind after breakfast: would a significant increase in computing power really make that much of a difference? In other words, we see incremental increases in CPU power, but nothing significant in a long time.

Talking just about the buying cycles; if CPU power doubled every year, would that have a negative effect on sales? If you know CPU power is going to double in 12 months, would you buy it? Knowing your investment will be 50% down on the new chips?

I know people buy a new phone every year, but I tend to only buy a new phone when my old one either breaks, becomes unusable, or, cannot perform the functions I require of it. Yet, I know people want to buy the new phone, regardless of whether they actually need to buy it or not. Is it the same for CPU's? Where the actual tangible increase in performance is so utterly minimal (people here using Sandybridge with zero problems) that there is no need to actually buy a new CPU?

We buy them, plug them into our motherboards and...there is no perceivable change to using our computers...so why do people do it?

I know it's a tough question to ponder when this is a tech forum, but I strongly believe there is a difference between being interested in all things IT or technology based and over-intellectualising a topic to justify ones interest in said topic.

I <3 tech, but facts be facts. CPU power is not that important to me as a consumer, than that of an enthusiast.