480 OC results post here!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Dburgo, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

I have the MSI reference card that I will probably go back to Fry's with, once they have the AIB cards in. My time with the RX 480 as far as OCing is concerned has been a little lack luster. The same could be said for the R390 which I toyed with for a week before going back and getting the RX 480. They are both very similar with a 5- 10 fps lead to the RX 480 only because of the OC I got on it. I am currently stable with 1350 Ghz core and 2150 mem which is slightly dissapointing because I am seeing better OCs by at least 50 Ghz more core and memory and even a little higher with the ellesmore hack that gives you more power and higher mem OC to 2500 ghz.

I'm also not happy at all with this 6pin and reference cooling. I'm in a corsair 540 case and the thing sounds like a room fan with everything on max just to get anything decent. My temp maxes out on 87 degrees and the gpu fan is on 100% which adds a nice new loud tone to the whole thing.. My AMD CPU is the 9370 which I have to OC to only 4.9ghz before things go wierd. It would get random reboots and it doesnt use my intel extreme memory very well at the 2133 mhz DDR3 either. I do not recommend the MSI gaming 990fx mobo for the 9370 or 9590 Cpu's becuase it wont support these CPUs to OC in Bios due to the tdp needing over 200watts to run. The board will not support it even with OC genie. Obviously you need a water cooling setup to even keep the cpus cool, and msi wont support such a redicuolous endeaver it seems.

The Gigabyte boards are much better as I could go 5 ghz no problems without using turbo core.. Anyways, with the current set up the rig gets a decent 10,900 in Firestrike benchmark and runs project cars everything maxed at 3200 res at 60 fps+ with occasional dips to 45 fps. Battlefield 4 (same res everything maxed) plays wonderfully no less than 60 fps in action no matter what the heck is blowing up in a huge ass map. I'm happy, but this card will not do 4k maxed settings but it does do very well once tweaked to lower graphic standards. I may get Doom just to see what Vulcan can do as Mantle breaks with BF4. I definatly want this or the GTX 1060 and later on I will get the opposite brand GFX card so I can play games that allow you to use both brands in crossfire/SLI mismatched and get the performance tune of both cards to play 4k games with ease I would assume.

If anyone has any questions I would be glad to answer as I come to these forums for decent enough info, opinion on things I research with OCing and driver updates, as well as some software. Also it would be nicde to reference what people are doing to get thier OCs so please post what you are currently running.

Thx for reading/posting, l8rz!

2. brucer

brucer Guest

GPU:
    soon 2 be Sapphire Fury
    Your cpu is bottlenecking both you gpu's..

My 8350 at 4.6ghz is bottlenecking my 480.

I was getting the same thing with my r9-290 vs my rx480.. That got me thinking, so I down clocked my 8350 to 4.0ghz and raised it 100mhz each time, and each time my 3dmark firestrike graphics score kept increasing up to 4.6ghz on cpu.. I didnt go any further as I didnt care to get my cpu any hotter with the 212evo..

I've also seen posts I5-6600k's post just over 15k graphics score on 3dmark firestrike, which proves the same.

I feel your going to be disappointed with a aib design also, as you'll get the same results because of your cpu.. The old amd cpus just cant handle modern cards now.

I'm able to bench my rx480 at 1360/2200...

I'm also in the process of fitting a Sapphire 7870ghz edition dual-x heatpipe cooler and fan shroud onto the rx480..

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    No it's not bottlenecking !
    FX 8xxx is OK for Gaming on 4.2GHz with Fast RAM (2133/2400MHz) + HT on min. 2.6-2.8GHz NB 2.6-2.8GHz
    Compare with 3Dmark but only GPU score, Intul CPUs are better in Benchmarks (until Zen)

I'm always comparing GPU Marks
    And its stay the same as in Hillbert Reviews -> check it out

My x6 is great for Gaming in range: 3.86GHz to 4.1GHz
    But in 4.1GHz this one is true Monster and thx to Nepton i have av. 45deg.cels.

this is Tom's H/W review for 7970GH Ed XFX DD (my last GPU)
    Intel Core i7-3960X (Sandy Bridge-E) 3.3 GHz at 4.2 GHz / G.Skill 16 GB 1600Mhz CL9

[​IMG]

And this is mine tested in this time period: x6 on 4.1Ghz / Corsair Vengence 8GB 1866Mhz CL9

[​IMG]

http://www.hardware-mag.de/artikel/grafikkarten/his_radeon_hd_7970_ghz_edition_iceq_x2/5/

4. brucer

brucer Guest

GPU:
    soon 2 be Sapphire Fury

It is bottlenecking, I've already proven it, along with others.. and that is through the graphics score only..
    My fx8350 with ddr3-2400 at 4.6ghz is bottlenecked, I run a gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 board in the fx8350 machine....
    I also have an I5-6600k machine sitting right next to the fx8350 machine I tested it on..

This was posted by someone else, I5-6600k@4.6ghz, notice the graphics score.
    [​IMG]

5. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Tbh even if it did not botteleneck in gpu scores. It would bottleneck in most games. Even my current cpu is a bottleneck to my 290x in certain situations.

6. brucer

brucer Guest

GPU:
    soon 2 be Sapphire Fury

I have found the same with my old r9-290 and rx480 in my fx8350 machine.. thats how I initially found the fx8350 being bottlenecked, because both my graphics scores were so close with each individual card. Scores were practically the same..

7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    OK

Now im waiting for Zen...
    So no changes until then, now it will be waste of Credit, besides i don't wanna x4 lol

8. Oxezz

Oxezz Member

GPU:
    R9 290 VaporX @1150
    Ehh.. firestrike is actually bugged with FXs, on Physics Test seems to perform close with the newest i5s however Combined Test seems to drop a big amount of data on IMC (read it somewhere in 3dmark forum) and because fxs memory controller is weak (actually is ****) cant parse the whole data quickly and the whole thing start to lags resulting in low score.
    I own FX6300 for about 3 years have been running it 4.5~4.7Ghz the only downside i see is the weak single threaded performance (according to passmark, my single thread matches-outperform i5 2500k) and the weak memory controller one last thing my best friend own i7 3770k and r9 390 so for the sake of internet arguments we run some games on stock i7 and mine 4.7 OC (yeah not so fair comparison ik i7 still has stock cooler uh..) apart from some heavily single threaded games (in cs:go i7 was leading ahead however we both were playing above 60fps then we increased the resolution and i started to catching up) we didn't see so much of "real world" difference.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It maybe matches a 2500k stock becouse there is no way FX chip can beat singlethread performance of an i5, even tho its an Sandy Bridge.

I have one heavily overclocked. If you dont believe me i could show you.

10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I like your setup. Keep up the good work!
    Gigabyte is my favorite too. It was! Until my z97 SLI mobo died few weeks ago :cussing:

11. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    Not so long time ago I was in a similar boat with an oc'd fx8350 and this 290, and I figured out it's pointless to throw a better gpu on the cpu because it bottlenecks everything. So I just went with a cpu upgrade and got a huge fps boost in many games, much less fps fluctuation if at all. In firestrike, graphics and physics score are similar, however combined score is better, so as firestrike score. I guess combined score matters the most in gaming, since that shows how your rig as a whole performs, and not just individual parts.

12. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

Great responses! I do want to agree with everyone that the CPU is not quite the performer as the MUCH more expensive Intel Cpus available. But, I have always had AMD setups since even before the Athalon (2500XP!!) days and I am reserving a mobo cpu mem upgrade for whatever the ZEN setups will be I think. I have had a few Intel setups in between and it is true everything seems to work with less issue with Intel, but as far as actual mhz I have always consistently gotten higher clocks with AMD and value/performance ratios are satisfying concerning budget/performance ratios as well. I wanted this RX480 to be similar to that class of hardware, but I think I may have gotten a lemon.

Also, to get into some of the metrics of things, the higher I can bring my vmemory OR GPU, the larger the gains I see in my benchmarking. I'm talking about actual gains of 2-3 fps with almost every 25mhz of OC! This really gets my goat because I am capping the OC at what I feel is lower than other OCs.. I think if I can get 1400 core 2250 mem I might be able to play Project cars at 4k with maybe medium settings.. Which would be intense as me and my fiancee LOVE smashing world records online and playing our career mode with vivid realistic racing. Obviously, 1500 core and higher memory would make the card a great 4k machine, but that is not going to happen with this lemon I got from MSI. I am really interested in seeing results with AIB cards hopefully people will post OC scores here or somewhere online soon!!

13. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Your Thuban has the same or better per core performance of any FX CPU. Wait for Zen or get Intel. Those are your choices but any AMD CPU will bottlneck a 5Tflop+ graphics card.

14. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My results on Time spy. Not sure why the images are broken I have them shared from my one drive and the same happened from google drive too. Any other sites that actually work with this forum? I looked at the FAQ's to see how here but I dont seem to have the Album folder link in my user cp. :bang:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2016
  15. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    Post links if you cant manage the images to work.

16. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    To use OneDrive, use the Embed link, not a share link

17. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest