4x CPU and quadro m4000 issues in 3dsMAX 2016

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by TheGreekGuy, Jul 19, 2016.

1. TheGreekGuy

TheGreekGuy Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Quadro m4000
    Hi all,
    Sorry that I am writing in this forum about a quadro and 3dsMax but unfortunately I searched the forum and haven't find anything related with 3d animation and GPU stuff. (Admins maybe there should be a forum for that!?)

So my problem that I have is :
    I have a Tyan B8812 4U server with 4 Opterons (48 cores) and 65Gb RAM, The machine was used to analyse fluids with Ansys and it did that very well... I thought that I can use it to render 3d animations and graphics so I bought a Quadro M4000 GPU and Installed the WinSRV12R2 from scratch on an SSD, converted it to Workstation, and installed the newest (v368) drivers, 3dsMAX and plugins, anyway The system is brad new.
    My problem is that I wanted to make a 3D model (a cube) break it down with physx (RayFire plug in and physx for 3ds) and have it crash on the floor and explode.... When I do that (the break down with voronoi fracture) the cpu are sleeping and the GPU is also at 7-8% utilization why is that? why the vray rendering is using all 48 cores and practically none of the GPU and how can I make it use the full power of the GPU and the CPUs? is there a hidden setting?
    Any help or tip would be appreciated :)

2. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Not sure,but you are probably chosen wrong forum,its called Guru3D but here most people are gamers or do benches or modders etc,t hey usually don't use 3D SW,if yes then we are minority over here:)

But to yours questions,I will do best to answer it

Did you tried to create bigger scene in 3DS Max and use Rayfire ? What I know and what I've tried Rayfire,Rayfire is old plugin which I do use for some renders,but mostly I use FumeFX with Rayfire if I do use

Rayfire doesn't use too much GPU,it use PhysX for calculation and this doesn't tax GPU as rendering

Regarding V-Ray,are you using V-Ray RT or are using normal V-Ray?
    V-Ray RT is intended to be used for rendering with GPU,you can choose there like CUDA or OpenCL,on or for nVidia GPU choose always CUDA,for AMD GPU choose OpenCL or you can choose CPU too

I always prefer to render with CPU in V-Ray,some features are not available in RT

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

3. TheGreekGuy

TheGreekGuy Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Quadro m4000
    I undestand that here are only gamers ... and that is why I wrote here ... Gamers and benchmarkers know better how **** works and what settings there should be in order to push the gear to the limits...after what you said I already know more about how physx and GPU is working than searching all over the internet for 3ds MAX and physx (which i did for the past week now ) ....
    Thanks bro

4. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Sorry if I've been offensive there

If you do planning to use GPU for rendering,I would get GPU with lots of VRAM,something like is Titan X or 980Ti,if budget allows get more GPU,you don't need to have same GPU,I've used in Octane Titan X with GTX 970 and GTX780

If you will be using different GPU's,then you will be limited with GPU with lowest VRAM,in other words,if you have 3GB plus 6GB plus 12GB,then your maximum VRAM for rendering will be 3GB,where you will gain is on CUDA cores count.

Depends what you will be rendering,but in many cases 12GB VRAM is not enough and due this I use CPU for rendering,but depends on rendering SW,some SW doesn't support CPU rendering etc

And I would stay away from Quadro if you are planning build rendering PC,those cards are overpriced and normal gaming cards are still better investment on longer run than Quadro there,unless you are using Revit or AutoCAD etc where Quadro can be better choice

Hope this helps and good luck there

Thanks,Jura

5. TheGreekGuy

TheGreekGuy Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Quadro m4000
    Well actually if you take a look at my specs the card is an m4000 with 8Gb VRam and I got 48 physical cores in my 4 cpus... the computer is used not only for rendering 3d scenes but for fluid analysis (programs like Ansys Fluent, Solidworks etc) so m4000 is the best choice for that kind of computing.... I know that Titans are better for the value but when it comes to a machine that when it runs full power analyzing can heat up the room and sounds like an aircraft (literally bro it's unbearable :) ) then you need something reliable like quadro. 3d rendering is a bonus i guess
    Thanks very much for your answers buddy and you haven't offend me at all

6. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

If you do work in Solidworks and other SW which require DP(Double Precision) etc then Quadro is best card with this I would agree

Regarding the GPU cooling or heat,I would have look on custom watercooler loop if you can use that or have look on AIO kit for GPU,running that and my temps are in 40's when I do renders and renders can take up to 8-12 hours sometimes(my longest render in LuxRender took me 24 hours),I've run Titan X with stock cooling and trust me I know how those cards can sounds at 65-80% fan profile,due this I've went for now with AIO which I will be swapping for custom water loop

With 48 physical cores you have great rendering machine,just some SW like RealFlow still can't use so many cores which is strange too,but all depends on SW which are you using

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Sorry for kind of hijacking the thread, but do you guys have any tips for optimizing GPU for Autodesk Inventor?

I have Inventor installed on both office pc (quadro k2200) and home and even slightly complex models tend to cripple screen refresh, like large assemblies, on both systems.

GPU usage is nominal on both systems, any tricks for improving this?

8. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

What I know about the Invertor,Invertor performance mostly relies or is dependent on cpu clock,I've tried my E5-2683v3 which have 2.3GHz turbo,then i7-5820k tried with stock clocks then OC,with E5-2683v3 performance has been OK,but I didn't tried anything complex

Friend has have similar problem,in his case he running my older X5670 OC to 4.5GHz,in his case this has been not enough RAM what has caused,he run 12GB,then we are added extra 32Gb and everything has been OK for time being,then again few problems we are got after while..

What I know about the AutoDesk SW and what I use them,with them you need to have enabled page file,its doesn't matter how much RAM you running,I'm running extra 32GB of page file and I've 96GB RAM,this has been issue on my friend PC too,with enabled page file his performance restored ...

What version are you running,assume are you runnng latest on yours PC,if yes please try disable MyHome and try log out from MyVault for time being,are you using any 3D mouse like is 3DConnexion SpaceNavigator?

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

9. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  10. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink

11. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  12. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Yes there is Rollout for V-RAY RT,RT is used like for distributed rendering or like for rendering with GPU/CPU through the CUDA or OpenCL(AMD GPU) and yes V-RAY as any renderer have there own Hardware resource or Rollout which is accessible through the Main toolbar etc

3DS Max at first sight is very confusing,but when you start more and more use 3DS Max you will start to understand how it works and in my case I love how it works in 3DS Max,if you have time please try,3DS Max and compare 3DS Max to Blender,you will understand what I mean there

Many people like UI of Blender and many people hate UI 3DS Max etc

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Thanks, using 2016 with latest patches (SP2).

Yea, I gathered too Inventor seems to depend on CPU and memory more, for some reason it doesn't really make use of the GPU even if you have a workstation graphics card.
    Also I monitored usages on home PC with AB overlay and even when the performance drops, neither GPU nor CPU usage is maxed out.

Both machines have PF enabled and software is installed on SSD. Office PC has 20 GB and home PC 24 GB of RAM.
    No Vault or other plugins loaded and no 3D mouse.

14. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Can you upload yours project file over on dropbox with which you are struggling and send me link through the PM?

I can check this over on our workstation in our work if its helps

Regarding Autodesk Inventor and Quadro GPU please have look on this

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inven...ics-card-comparison-for-inventor/td-p/5591926

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I can't upload the project file (conveyor assembly) as its classified and property of us / our customer I'm afraid.

But in general any assembly with more than, say, 100 parts or containing parts with multiple features seems to deter screen refresh.

Plus my home PC seems to be able to keep performance up better than my office PC with Quadro GPU and Xeon CPU...
    not that I'd need 60 fps for work but in worst cases panning or rotating the model is almost a slideshow.

I must revert to Express Mode which furthermore means I cannot edit parts in context.

16. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink

Hi there

Don't worry and I do understand how it is

I will have spare time during the weekend at my work and I will be playing with Inventor and post my results and views/observations later on

Yours work PC have which one Xeon there? I would suspect you are probably have earlier X58 Xeon or is later model?

But all depends on turbo and on core clock there as I said previously,those SW from Autodesk are poorly optimized for multi-core operations in viewport,in rendering is different story,but viewport sucks

Hope this helps and report back during weekend my findings

Thanks,Jura

17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ thanks man!

I'll check which Xeon it is, can't recall and at home now. The PC's pretty new though, two years old tops I think (bought by my predecessor).

Yeah, based on my monitoring at home Inventor isn't very multicore aware in modeling environment.

18. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I've time to "play" with Inventor 2017 and with our Xeon workstation performance is pretty poor,GPU there we are running GTX Titan X and performance something like this

In Viewframe GPU utilization is around 20-30%,FPS is ranging from 75-200FPS and more,silky smooth,but this depends on Visual Style,with enabled Shadows performance dropping,in smooth shaded I've pretty good performance,but still is not silky smooth there and in Realistic not sure,performance too is poor

Project have 3301 solid bodies

CPU utilization is poor without the question

Tomorrow I will have more time to play there

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

19. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Might be obvious but...http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=16494456