Zen for gaming: 1500X OC'd or 1600X?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Chess, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Chess

Chess Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    I've been over this in my head for a few weeks now.
    Actual info escaped me, perhaps it's too early?

So here goes:
    I like my PC's as efficient as usable.
    So here I'm asking if, for actual gaming, the 1600X is worth it over an OC'd 1500X to 4Ghz.

See, the 2 extra cores, are they actually used in games, nowadays?
    My current 3930K 6 cores didn't get use much past the usual 4.

I'd rather have 4 cores 65W and having 4 cores used instead of 6 cores and 95W but yet only 4 cores used.

Basically, I'd like a gamig CPU with as low as TDP as possible/reasonable.
    My 3930k was quite overkill for just gaming... lesson learned.

So, any comments, thoughts, general input?
    Also, be reasonable. I try and keep up, but my PC knowledge is very rusty, even when I bought my 3930k in 2012.

2. Ripcord

Ripcord Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6500xt
    you could split the difference and get a 1600, 6 cores 12 threads 65W. it even comes with a cooler

3. Chess

Chess Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    Well, I'd rather have a 4 core 4Ghz at 65W then, but that doesn't exist. :)
    I see what you did, but it's the other way around from what I think is ideal.

But thanks for the quick reply!

4. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    What will you do with your old system now? Plan to sell it or?

5. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    So your concern for your current system is electricity bill?

I wouldnt replace your current CPU. If you must replace it, get Ryzen 1600. 6 cores are more future proof.

6. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Agreed with Sverek.

I'd update the GPU on that rig and call it a day, I definitely wouldn't drop down to a quad from it.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Even Ryzen 1600 is practically side grade:
    http://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/compare/3105443?baseline=1487004

If electricity is concern when unused. Use HWiNFO64. Check what's your actual power consumption at idle.
    Because I think that CPU itself, if power states are properly configured in BIOS, will eat sub 10W at idle.

And while you felt that 6C/12T was overkill. It will come handy soon. I think electricity price itself is not sufficient trigger to buy system with similar performance at few hundred $ loss.
    If I let my system run 24/7 at idle (~55W), I'll pay ~$7 per month on electricity. Let's presume new system would eat only 25W at idle, then I would pay $3.2 per month.
    As this new system saves me $3.8 per month, $45.6 per year, I would have to keep it for quite some years to give return of investment if price difference was $400.

And I think your GPU power efficiency vs current GPUs is way worse than that of CPU vs current CPUs.

8. Chess

Chess Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    Why, My 1080Ti has been ordered! ( fekin €830! Wuz? )

I AM a bit curious if my CPU can keep up with that behemoth, but it's more of a future proofing. That 780ti did around 4-5 years pretty well, but it's showing it's age at 1440p.

Thanks all for the answers, I will indeed keep my 3930k for a year or more longer, despite the 130W TDP. It's also not just electricity bill, it's the warmth. My house is VERY well insulated, but only passively ventilated, thus it gets quite warm in the room, especially since I'm expecting there will be a second PC there in the future ( girlfriends ). Not that that 1080Ti will help much, but hey, shiny graphics! ^^

I made up my mind thanks to you guys and can only hope game devs will start applying better and more modular/flexible engines that fully use every core in the system, or at least 6+.

I had a good read out of this :)

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    You know, you can always limit fps to monitor's refresh rate, that saves a lot of energy.
    Or if you have some fast like 144Hz screen, then 72fps limit does few tricks of it's own. Or you can enjoy full blast. In summer I do limit fps to 72.

10. Chess

Chess Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    I do, for some part ^^. It's currently set to 120Hz max.
    But that 780Ti doesn't push the screen to 120Hz in games anyway, for the exception of CS and Day of Infamy/Insurgency.

I don't know if it possible, but I'd like to enable 144Hz only for intense MP games. Singleplayer games, well, storybased SP games are fine at 72Hz.
    But the profiles don't enable that yet, do
    they?

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I do use MSI Afterburner + RTSS (Which does per application fps limiting.)
    If you want to change monitor refresh rate, then games which run in native full screen could do it before.
    With newest W10, I am no longer sure.

Anyway while your 780Ti was running often on max load with your desired limit, your new GPU will often save power while fulfilling given requirements.

12. Chess

Chess Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    Good call, thanks!