Any major known issues for the Gigabyte 290X?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by TallgeeseIV, Oct 20, 2014.

1. TallgeeseIV

TallgeeseIV Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 970GTX
    I decided to upgrade from my twin Gigabyte 7750's to a single 290x, and MicroCenter has great deal on it. So I went there a couple days ago and the sales person was very insistent that the EVGA Geforce 970 GTX was the better deal for the same price.

Now, I've ALWAYS been an AMD person, always. Every time I've tried to give Nvidia a chance, they've completely disappointed me, and this time was no exception.

Apparently, Nvidia's current drivers are plagued with issues for the 970/980 cards. Digital color settings resetting, random resolution changes, and the DisplayPort simply does not work with 4 monitors (I have 4).

So, I'm going back to return this pile of excrement and get the 290X, but I want to know if there's any similar major issues with it. So are there any issues that I should be concerned about?

Thanks in advance.

2. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    There are the black screen issues that plagued the r9 290 series of cards including the r9 290x. Also I would stay away from Gigabyte if it is a revision 1.0 card if it is a 1.1 then you might be safe.

3. TallgeeseIV

TallgeeseIV Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 970GTX
    I got it and have it installed now. I'm not having any black screen issues, although I did when I used MSI afterburner to OC it though.

It's having an issue where it disconnects displays that are turned off. My old 7850's didn't disconnect them unless I forced them to. It's kind of annoying because it moves all my windows around when I turn the displays off and on again. But, i'm sure it's just a driver issue and I can deal with it for now.

4. angmar

angmar Guest

The GTX 970 is without a doubt the better deal. Overclocks like a beast.....draws wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy less power runs wayyyyyyyyyyyy cooler and will be faster in the end.

Nevermind....I see i'm too late....oh well.

5. TallgeeseIV

TallgeeseIV Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 970GTX
    Maybe if I had gotten the MSI or the Asus model, but the EVGA was garbage. I already described its problems, faaaaaar more than anyone paying $360 for a graphics card should have to deal with.

6. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    To each its own I guess.

But I have one question for you, what the hell's up with those 64GB RAM? Are you hosting a server on that PC or what?

7. TallgeeseIV

TallgeeseIV Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 970GTX
    Yep. I really wanted to mess around with gamestream using limelight for my note 3, and physx is always a plus, but i couldn't deal with having one screen off, and having the color reset to look washed out every time i ran a game. Gotta say though, I know that the 290X runs hotter and louder, but I've been playing borderlands for 6 hours and haven't heard it and the temps are well within safety range.

Hahaha, I get that question a lot. One word: "RamDisk". If you think games load fast on an SSD, you haven't seen anything until you've loaded from a ramdisk. You don't see loading screens... ever.

Ram prices right now are outrageous but at the time I built this rig, I got all 64 gigs for less than $160. At that point, why not, right?

And it works great as the house's Minecraft server while still being able to play other games myself.

8. Muchope

Muchope Member

GPU:
    Asus R9 290 DirectCU
    Where you running any 14.X drivers when your 7850 didn't misbehave similar to your 290X? I believe all AMD GPUs exhibit the same problem post 14.X era and even R9 290s behave normally with pre 14.X drivers. Thread discussing the issue.

Considering how annoying the behavior is, am surprised the issue isn't plaguing forums on the interwebs as I had assumed a lot of people have multi-monitor setups, not necessarily eyefinity gaming setups. We all need to mobilize and cry foul, only then will our voices be heard and a solution implemented.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  9. TallgeeseIV

TallgeeseIV Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 970GTX
    Oh, wow. No, i was on 13.9 with the 7850's... They need to get that fixed, it's quite irritating.