Looking for an alternative to iphone

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Deckard, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Deckard

Deckard Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3090ti Gaming X
    Hi,

I currently have and iphone 4 that has given me quite a few problems over the 24 month contract that I have been on. Im due an upgrade 1 month early in 2 weeks and Im wanting to move away from apple iphones for a change.

Ive been looking at what my options are and ive boiled it down to.

Sony Xperia T
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    Nokia Lumina 820
    HTC 8X

I like the look of all of them but just cannot decide.

I use my iphone for work picking up jobs via exchange emails and I use the camera alot, listen to music while im working or on my way to work, I will occasionally watch videos on my iphone. I don't really game on my phone I have a desktop for that.

What im after is something as tough as an iphone that's going to take a battering and not get damaged. good software to manage my music collection (looking forward to uninstalling itunes ) good camera. and supports exchange emails with push notification. 4g compatible would be nice but im waiting for my carrier to roll that out thanks to EE exclusivity here in the UK decent battery life that would at least last me a full 9 hour day at work without having to recharge.

over to you GURU's let me know which you think best suits my needs.

regards

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The Samsung Galaxy SIII comes in 2 different versions, one that has 4G (Samsung SIII 4G), and one that hasn't (normal Samsung SIII). The one that has 4G is actually a newer updated version of the SIII, a SIII.5 if you like!

So, I guess you have 5 phones to choose from, not 4!

It is a difficult choice, because all the phones you listed are good phones.

3. Deckard

Deckard Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3090ti Gaming X
    I think my carrier is only stocking the SIII atm its probably going to stock it when the 4g network rolls out so thats in 6 months when EE exclusivity runs out

what software does the android OS use to sync /convert music is it any good?

4. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    It doesn't really use any, you just drag and drop files on.

You can use windows media player if you like, pretty sure itunes works as well, samsung have an application on their website you can use if you want (for the S3), it's not that great, wouldn't bother.

5. Deckard

Deckard Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3090ti Gaming X
    what about CDDB and artwork for CD tracks ?

sorry if that's noobish im used to itunes and iOS using gracenote for CDDB.

If I go with a windows phone would I be able to use windows media center to sync/convert and do CDDB lookups ?

6. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    3 major versions actually.

theres the S3 international model which uses the exynos 4412 chip (quad core a9 with overclocked mali400), but only hsdpa support. this model only has 1gb ram.

theres the US model which uses the snapdragon s4 dual core but has 4g support iirc. this model has 2gb ram.

and now theres the newer i9305 S3 4G which uses an exynos 4412 (quad core a9 with overclocked mali400) and has an extra qualcomm 4g/lte modem inside as well as 2gb ram. now if ive been reading correctly, this model comes with jelly bean out of the box.

so if buying a galaxy s3 with 4g, make sure you order the right one, or you may end up with the slower snapdragon instead of the faster exynos.

7. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Android uses copy and paste for music...

I'd just stick with itunes because there's plugins to sync it with itunes anyway.

The i9305 is only out on one network in the UK, don't think you can buy it handset only or PayG.

8. Gazebo

Gazebo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070
    I'd go for Sony

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Windows Phone uses the Zune Media Player software...which is garbage.

If you go with a Windows Phone device, make sure it's Windows Phone 8. No reason to buy a WP7 device if you can avoid it.

10. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I'd go with the Samsung Galaxy S III, Samsung Galaxy Note II or Google Nexus 4. All three phones are great.

As for the Xperia T, I've heard that it isn't anything interesting based on what I've been reading....

deltatux

11. Deckard

Deckard Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3090ti Gaming X
    My only concern with the Galaxy SIII is it looks a little flimsy/plastic and I fear it may break or crack in my pocket, I spend alot of time leaning over desks fixing PC's and my iPhone is kept in my front pocket, there have been a few times ive leaned over a desk and thought I had cracked my phone by hitting it on the side of a desk but it hasn't even got 1 mark on it after 24 months. the SIII may fail me here unless it is actually quite sturdier than it looks. the note is too big its more of an ipad mini size/tablet. too me anyway.

Of course I'm not going to decide until I go into the shop and have one in my hand to see how they feel. but I am tempted by the Sony Xperia T or the Nokia Lumina 820 (free wireless charging plate). It make sense to have a windows phone to match my windows PC. I've got no experience with android OS and ive got no plans to root the OS either. Didn't bother Jail-breaking my iPhone just didn't see a need. The Nokia looks the sturdiest phone of them all. Last time I had a Nokia it was a 5300 with plain LCD screen I remember the buzz about it being the first phone with the antenna inside the phone.

All that is important to me with a phone is Calls, texts, emails, browsing, music, occasional vids, good set of apps, photos, video recording. I don't use social networks. and good sound for my Sennheiser h/phones.

12. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I've probably only owned phones that are made of plastic even with my Nexus S and never once had any concern about my phone breaking other than cracking the glass when crawling under desk spaces or tight spaces when repairing cables and other computer-related items. The Galaxy S III is as sturdy as my Nexus S.

If you're really concerned about the safety of your device, a hard case never hurts.

deltatux

13. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    All the music i've ever bought digitally had the artwork embedded and proper artist tags into the mp3 files. If not, do it yourself with mp3tag, an excellent program, which can look up and embed this stuff with a couple clicks.

14. JEskandari

JEskandari Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 (95w)
    well if 4g is not a must i must say that the normal S3 is better because it use Exynos 4112 as SOC while the 4G VERSION USE Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 MSM8960 Which is a little faster on the core front (exynos 4112 is 10-20% faster than other quad core Arm9 and a dual cor krait is roughly equal to a quad core Arm 9) but a lot faster on GPU front as Mali 400mp4 in Exynos 4112 is far better than Adreno 225 in MSM8960
    on other hand you get 2 gig of Ram with 4g phone while the international one only give you 1 gb of ram

15. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    The international 4G LTE Galaxy S3 is a quad core and 2GB ram...

16. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I didn't know of the US version, here we have the proper 4G version :)

17. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    With WP8 Windows sees it as mass storage where you can just drag and drop stuff like music. No need for zune or anything like that. That's the case at least in windows 8. I've tagged my music properly and all my WMA lossless, AAC (m4a) and MP3 tracks use the embedded album art and tags work great.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  18. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I would give a look toward the lg optimus g.. I just got mine a couple weeks now and its an awesome phone, bettet than s3 imo

19. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    It's the krait quad core processor, it's a killer, fast as hell.

I'd go for LG Optimus G or Galaxy SIII, period...

20. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I would get Nexus 4 without contract, then get a sim card for £10/15 pounds a month with unlimited data. I am doing it after Christmas.