HTCP advice

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by MAD-OGRE, Nov 8, 2011.

1. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    So I have decided to build a HTCP for my living room, this will be used for movies and games(WOW/SWTOR/Diablo III) nothing to hard core graphics wise.
    Below is a list of what I have come up with so far, I do not plan to buy this till after Christmas but I welcome your input and advice.(I know a PSU is not on the list)
    [​IMG]

2. Sprig

Sprig Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX560
    Looks a bit overpowered for what you want it to do.

3. CarlJohnson

CarlJohnson New Member

GPU:
    5850 crossfire
    Holy smokes 16gb of ram!!! Also I would hold off of the WD green for $140! That drive should be $60. I have that case and it rocks but it is a bit tall make sure it will fit in ur stand. Looks like a killer system.

4. jellysheep

jellysheep Guest

GPU:
    Elitegroup GTX 570
    I3 2100+ HD 6670 is a good combo.

5. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    don't buy any hard drives for a while. Flood in Thailand hurt factories big time they're up'ing prices on them across the board

6. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    Yea I might just go with the SSD and use an old 500gig WD drive I already have, as for the ram yea I dont know its just so cheap thought why not.

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    A small SSD for the OS, and lots of cheap standard HDD's, though that might not be the easiest thing now, or even after Christmas.

You won't need that much ram, 4-8gb should be more than enough, but more isn't likely to do any harm if it's cheap enough, and could always take half of it out for another system, or to sell if you need to.

Definitely looks like a good system though, the CPU is perfect for games or movies, even things like interpolation if your into that, the GPU is perfect for those games, but also decodes lots of HD video codecs, while also supporting HD audio over HDMI.

When you do go ahead with this, i personally recommend creating 2 partitions, one for movies, the other for games, that is what i do, as i feel it lets you optimise each one for it's specific task.