GTX 970 Low GPU usage.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by FDisk, Jan 12, 2015.

1. dzigg

dzigg Guest

GPU:
    gtx 285
    Thx for the quick reply!

Yup, I can go 3,6 ghz, higher if needed but rather to keep it cool.

Did you by any chance compare your gaming benchmarks to a newer system / CPU? Really interested what kind of performance gain if I upgrade the whole system. I rather not though, especially if the difference is only marginal.

2. FDisk

FDisk Guest

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX970 OC 4GB
    It depends on the game. Mostly mmorpg games are really CPU heavy.

But in most games my CPU doesn't go over 70%.

I can run most games at 60fps on maxed out settings. But I don't play online games much. In online games more people in one area means higher CPU usage.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  3. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    GeForce Experience is just marketing, any naab knows that.

4. dzigg

dzigg Guest

GPU:
    gtx 285
    thx, I don't play mmorpg as well so I'm good. I do want to play online though, hopefully I can get above at least 45 with maxed out settings.

5. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    If fps is steady 60+ and there is no stuttering it doesn't really matter what the GPU usage is.
    I just need to turn of things like Shadows, AO and tone down AA to make it drop, so what is the point?

6. robertmor52

robertmor52 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Gaming G1
    Hi, this may be and old topic but I recently purchased this card (msi gtx 970 4g) and have exactly the same problem!!...games like shadow of mordor, far cry 4 or crysis 3 uses an almost perfect 99/98% of the gpu but others like Project Cars, Metro 2034, remember me,gta v etc. are not, even when vsyn is off (with vsync on the gpu usage dont get to 99% even when the fps are below 60)...

I had installed GFExperience and ALL nvidia thing but after uninstalling GFExperience things are the same for me...gpu usage at 80/94% with vsync (and fps below 60) or without vsync...NO BOTTLENECK.

also,In gta V for example I have realized that playing all ultra + 8xMSAA gives me smoother gameplay (despite lower fps) that using lower setting at more fps because this way gpu usage is perfectly at 99%:bang:

Is there any solution for that??the nvidia forums thread is 169 pages long...Im on latest drivers 350.12 and updated my vbios to version 186 (S/N 03S)...

Many thanks!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  7. robertmor52

robertmor52 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Gaming G1
    no one is having usage problems with 900 series??

8. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    The OP did a complete reinstall... might need to do the same rather than just uninstalling. I'd uninstall everything and do custom option with Clean Install. Don't install anything you don't need. Like 3D drivers, Audio drivers, ect...

I run everything with VSync so my cards are rarely pegged at 98-99% but everything stays locked at 60fps for me. Granted I'm also on a 700 series card.

9. robertmor52

robertmor52 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Gaming G1
  10. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    970 at 1600/7600 @ 1080 still not overkill for that resolution.Screens of 10 games with 970,still drops below 60 so do not expect the holy grail.

Need faster CPU/better multi-threaded games/bottleneck or whatever you want to call it at 1920x1080.

Maybe just maybe DX12 games will help out a bunch.

Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag TXAA
    [​IMG]

Crysis 1 MSAA 8x
    [​IMG]

Crysis 3 MSAA 8x
    [​IMG]

Doom 3 Absolute HD Mod MSAA 8x
    [​IMG]

Dying Light AAon
    [​IMG]

Far Cry 4 TXAA 4x
    [​IMG]

Project Cars High AA
    [​IMG]

Ryse- Son of Rome SS 1.5
    [​IMG]

Serious Sam 3 SS 4x No MSAA
    [​IMG]

Watch Dogs with Mods TXAA 4x
    [​IMG]

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    are you sure its not just missing tripplebuffer issue?

You can try vsync + MSI AB 60fps limit (RTSS osd tool), to mild this issue a bit.

12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Oookey, your temps are ice cold even though you've OCd to 1600? How the hell did you manage that :)

13. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    AHH I did not even notice that,Since I run SLI/Crossfire 90% of the time.I run games with 100% fan speed curve at 60c.

14. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    Not to high jack this thread but could someone possibly help with this

Can anyone shed some light on this for me, Ive got a G1 970 with the bios mod to unlock the power and fan but even with the power at 150% it never goes above 65% ingame.

Ive tried some benchmarks and vsync and all limits are off, In Kombuster it goes over 100% but in everything else it never reaches that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FmE4eV65Fo

i saw that video and he has the same gpu and cpu as me and his power limit is at around 100% pretty much the whole time. Ive done the same test at the same settings and mine doesn't. I noticed that in the screens in this thread that people have high power usage in Autosport so i tried mine and its the same. Maxes out power usage at 67%

Any help?

15. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    With V-Sync on, GPU usage will rarely top out at 99%. That is just the way that V-Sync works.

For a 60hz screen your screen will refresh every 16.6667ms.

So for example if one frame takes 9ms to render, your GPU waits for 7.667ms doing nothing before the frame is displayed. After this frame is displayed at that refresh cycle, it starts to render the next frame.

This also causes micro-stutter and lower GPU usage... If you turn off V-Sync it should top out at 98-99% if the game is well optimized and not stuck waiting on the CPU.

16. robertmor52

robertmor52 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Gaming G1
    Nice work mate!!, I see some games are not using full GPU even not reaching 60fps (with vsync) and/or 99% GPU usage at whatever fps whitout vsyn...

As I said, the problem is:

-WHIT vsync (60Hz): games frame rate drops below 60fps having GPU power available (this is using LESS than 99% GPU) = Non sense!!!! never saw anything like that with any other GPU I`ve ever had...NO BOTTLENECK nor vram issue of course.

-WITHOUT vsync: games not reaching MAXIMUM possible fps using ALL gpu power (this is 99% GPU) = Non sense!!!! never saw anything like that with any other GPU I`ve ever had...NO BOTTLENECK nor vram issue of course.

Hope things are clear now...This card has a serious problem with that as stated in several threads in the net as the one in nvidia forums I posted before.Btw, here is an screen I taked in Trine 3 alpha (all kind of vsync/fps limiters disabled), no cpu bottleneck, no vram issue and GPU usage below 99% and SUSTAINED (not for a fraction of a second, that is the gpu usage at this spot sustained and varies from 84/90% max, never uses 99% gpu in all level):

[​IMG]

the question is...WHERE IS THE 15% of GPU power missing I paid for??????????:bang:

EDIT: AB fps limiter did nothing for me...also no matter if card is in stock or OC clocks...

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    That explains it :) Must be really loud at 100% fanspeed?

18. Spax1171

Spax1171 Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970 OC
    Same problem here "GTX 970 Low GPU usage".
    Wtf in GTA V GPU load drop to 2 !!! FPS drop to 1. OMFG I cant believe what I see last night in GTA V.
    And repeat it all time after few minutes drop-up, drop-up !
    What now guys ? This is real bug and big problem for us !

19. CheloARG

CheloARG Guest

GPU:
    x2 SLI EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Weird, just urs or seems to happen with almkst every gpu?

20. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Did you disable all the power-saving Cpu and such ? what else things did you do in bios and windows ?

Do you have hyper threading enabled ?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016