Regarding 3D Mark / Windows 10

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by Deleted member 213629, Jun 8, 2015.

1. My specs posted are current

Has anybody else gotten an "API not supported" error when trying to run the overhead test in 3DMark? I have a copy of the professional edition, I made sure and installed the latest update and NV driver but I get that error when trying to run the DX12 test. Honestly just wanted to see how my rig would perform. Am I missing something here? I've seen some vids on YouTube with people running the test....

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Does your card support DX12? If yes, try disabling SLI

3. No **** the benchmark doesn't support SLI?

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    The benchmark will support SLI, I'm wondering if DX12 does yet

5. No kidding. Well, I just re-ran it with SLI disabled and it worked! Thank you sir. How odd...

I was reading an article awhile back about DX12 supporting multi gpu setups not tied to same make/model and using them to render for a sequence as one but I don't see how NV or AMD won't try and break that at a driver level..

It works without SLI.. ran really well too. huh.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Well it's not complete or released yet, so I wouldn't worry about it supporting multi-GPU once it is finalised

I haven't tested it yet, waiting for Win 10 RTM before installing on my main machine

7. Fair enough-

Although it's nice to be able to see what progress has been made. I agree, more features/implementations to come. It's no walk in the park developing a ****ing API let alone fleshing out every which aspect of it. You know, if you are curious or whatever, just shrink a partition, make a bootable usb and throw it on for fun why not right? Won't conflict with your current config certainly didn't with mine. Just had an itch and had to scratch it as it were I guess.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    lol, nah I'm not that interested in DX12 yet, there's only one benchmark with a few squares, not worth the effort of installing onto real hardware yet

Happy messing about with each build in VMWare atm

I`ll be dualbooting when it RTMs, I don't really like Win 10 but I`ll be wanting DX12, and no doubt it'll take quite some time before there are any worthwhile games using it to justify installing as my main OS

9. True true, devs have to update their engines, etc etc there's a lot of work in play and it all ties into multiple facets of the industry working together before we get to a standard like with what DX9 has had. Hopefully the hype and initial tests are justified and we'll actually see real-world gaming performance/optimizations as a result of DX12 that will transform to actual fleshed-out DX12 games. Part of me really wishes AMD would be more successful with Mantle as I kinda hate Nvidia right now for their whole gameworks malarkey but hey, life's life it is what it is. MS worked hard on this and when they tried to incorporate multi gpu support (regardless of OEM) into DX12 that made me think "wow NV has really become a sellout" I know they'll never go along with a cross AMD/NV gpu setup tied into a DX12 game utilizing both of the gpus. Just like with PhysX, they found a way and broke it.

Anyways, we're looking at 2 years maybe more until DX12 becomes what 9.0c has been. As for Win 10, MS refuses to get that we don't want their well fleshed-out backend improvements delivered across a ****ty looking gui. Kudos to classic shell, I'd be gagging without it...

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I`ll just be happy if StartIsBack works with RTM, I can cope with the rest of the UI changes but my choice of start menu replacement has always been SiB, so far, it hasn't worked on the last 6-8+ builds and not much chat from the dev either, hoping he's working on a new release for July - if not, Classic Shell will probably be my next choice

11. Well with classic shell so far it's supported everything from initial metro to modern to win 10 all the way and I've been pretty happy with it.

Glancing at startisback, not bad, looks identical to Win 7's on their homepage there... not bad. About classic shell, I did notice in Win 10 it does sort of "utilize" the scheme of the stock gui/theme's color/transparency settings. Not a big deal since it actually made it more seamless and in the end I turn down most of my visual effects anyways.

EDIT : glancing at their revision log found Version +1.7.5***8195;6 March 2015 "***9702;Improved compatibility with Windows 10 Technical Preview" I'd think the devs invested in RTM at least then

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2015
  12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea, it did support the earlier preview builds, can't remember which one was the last that it worked with, but I think Microsoft removed more of the classic code which SiB relied on to run, and all builds after that, it hasn't worked - so I guess the dev is needing to add that code to SiB himself, or something similar to allow it to run as a standalone

The reason I prefer SiB over the others is that it looks and runs exactly like Windows 7s start menu, you would never know it was a 3rd party program, the others are good, but you can tell they are not part of the OS

Plus it allows you to disable all things Metro in 8.1, all hot corners, charms, everything

13. I see. Well classic shell does most of that but not all so if SiB can at RTM chances are I'd be willing to purchase it. I feel like MS hit gold as in XP gold with 7 but then got obessed with keeping up with Apple and trying to "innovate" and "redefine" people just want something simple, easy to use, familiar, and powerful. Honestly metro/modern is only great for the tablet market. A truly smart move would be to offer classic UI as an option during installation versus modern UI. Most desktop users would select the one most familiar, the OS would finish installing to reflect that and the rest that are tablet users would select the other... I hated working at MS when Win 8 first came out. I hated it... it was the ****tiest thing to support because of the amount of people complaining about it and I couldn't help but say "yeah you have a valid point"

Anyways, you more than answered my initial post, good talk have nice one ! :sleep:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2015