Aftermarket Cooler for 4790K?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by TekkMarine, Oct 2, 2014.

1. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    Hi

Finally updated my rig, with a little money left over. My question is that I am not looking to overclock my CPU's stock speed of 4Ghz, so is there any point in getting an aftermarket cooler?

I also have the following PSU JeanTech, was wondering if I am going to run into any troubles since its not exactly a trusted PSU brand.

-Tekk

2. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Judging by that review it seems like a pretty capable PSU.

As for cooler, 100% yes it is definitely worth getting an aftermarket cooler if you want to overclock.

Depending on what case you have will limit your choice.

Also what is your price range for a cooler?

We need to know these factors before we can recommend you one..

3. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    I hastily just brought a B grade cpu cooler from Overclockers, Alpenfohn Brocken, there not dispatching my order until tomorrow so I have a chance to change it if i like.

Upon reading some reviews for it I see that there is some backplate mounting issues for the 1155 socket mobos. Hoping im not going to have a similar problem with my Z97Matx and that the B-grade listed cooler comes with a backplate atleast. It didn't say and nore does the normal listing of the product.

If you have suggestions on something better its welcome. Max price is £30.

EDIT: Just called them, they couldn't confirm that it would come with a backplate so I ordered the revised Brocken 2 CPU Cooler.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    That cooler you brought is fine, it fits your budget and hopefully you wont have trouble fitting it.

For £30 you really won't get much and overclocking on these type of coolers will limit how far you can push your CPU.

Just make sure you have decent airflow through the case, good cable management is a must and also some dust filters on any intake fans as well will help keep things clean.

You should be able to reach at least 4.4GHz on that cooler easily. Just remember that haswell chips get very hot when run with certain synthetic benchmarks.

Best stress tester to get a real world performance score and to properly test your system is Asus Real Bench, it has a stress tester but I would just leave that alone and use the benchmark part of the program. Loop it about 5 times to make sure your stable.

Just google it, I think v2.2 is the latest version. I can't post a link as Asus site is down for maintenance.

5. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    Thanks for the advise Red, not sure how 4970's 4.4ghz turbo setting is activated nore do I know how to OC. Will be doing some extensive reading today and hope I don't screw up installation since I didn't get installation insurance.

Already dreading the application of thermal compound.

6. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
  7. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Or the Hyper T4. I just bought one of those for my GF since I gave her my old i7 920 and I had limited space in her case. I'm actually pretty impressed at well it performs for being so cheap.

8. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
  9. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
  10. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    Wish I had asked this question earlier, seems like the revised brocken 2 has had some negative reviews, mainly that it doesn't match performance for price and that the older model looks much cooler.

11. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    These are the results:
    Image Editing
    Time:73.981

Encoding
    Time:134.531

OpenCL
    KSamples/sec: 558

Heavy Multitasking
    Time:117.661

System Score

With the custom CPU cooler and it sits at around 37idle. Now dealing with why my Blueray optical drive is no longer being picked up and why AMD Driver crashes every now and then when surfing the desktop.

12. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    With price not being a factor, what are considered the best coolers that will fit my 4790K?

13. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    I'd suggest water cooling something like Corsair H100i I'm surprised how hot these chips get, I'm struggling to get anything over 4.5ghz with mine atm, full load running the latest Prime95 with AVX I'm hitting 80° C with 1.21V, altho I am stable and with the older Prime95 I'm hovering around 60 - 70°, still the performance increase over my 8350 is a big improvement.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  14. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    It's a bit warmer than my 4670K. My 4790K occasionally tops 80 degrees on the stock cooler. No surprise as that cooler is so tiny. I don't intend to do any overclocking for awhile, stock speed is keeping me plenty happy but the temperatures are not. For now I just want a better air cooler, and perhaps nice looking for my window case (Phantom 410).

15. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    We have very similar systems. I am re-using my old Corsair H50 AIW water cooler on this cpu at stock and it is fine. In fact, I tried to overclock to 4.6 GHZ but it was not IBT stable so backed it off. 4.5 GHZ was fine but an extra 100 MHZ was not worth it.

My temps are lower on this cooler the stock cooler and these cheap AIW are great for longevity. Its a good bang for the buck if you feel you need it, especially if you live in a hot region like I do.

If you live in a cool region, you should be fine with stock.

If you plan to delid and OC to the max, then you should go with a really good water cooler, or if you just want to lower the amount of fan noise when your cpu is maxed out.

16. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    One thing I thought Intel had done with this Haswell refresh was improved the thermal conductivity within the chip, negating or lessening the need to delid. I've never felt comfortable doing it and I'm just an enthusiast level overclocker anyways.

17. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    It's a little bit expensive but I can thoroughly recommend the h105 cooler.

Yes, it's overkill for my OC but the fans never go up above 40% with 64C max temps using prime95.

I can get it below 60 if I really wanted to, like had headphones on or such.

Only issue is you'd need fairly big or modded case to fit it.

PS Just as an idea to it's potential I did try at on 1.3v and it only just about flirts with 70C, so it's very capable of dispersing many watts if needed.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  18. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    That's a Devil's Canyon you're running as well, correct? Sounds like you're overclocking in a similar fashion. If/when I do it, I'll just be going for a modest bump. I don't like stressing my equipment to the max limits any more.

My case (NZXT Phantom 410) is fairly spacious for a mid-tower. It looks like there's plenty of room through the window.

19. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    Yeah, 4690k.

I can boot at 5Ghz but can't get it stable even at 1.3v and I didn't want to go any higher. Temps never an issue not that it stays on long enough to get hot lol

I'm happy at 4.6Ghz to be honest.