Thinking of upgrading from 3770K @ 4.0 GHZ to 5820

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by bobmitch, Oct 3, 2014.

1. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4070 TI OC
  2. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    imho that upgrade isn't worth it.

Unless your video editing or 3d rendering your not really going to see much of an improvement.

If you do upgrade I would steer clear of that HSF you listed. The Zalman will perform good at stock clocks but honestly you will need something more beefy for that CPU. Remember it is a 6 core CPU 12 threads.

I would go for either a H110 or H105 cooler. If you can get the new NZXT Kraken X61 then please do I have it and its awesome.

If you cant fit these 240mm coolers in your case then go for a 120/140mm version instead.

3. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    my i5 could come close to yours at 4ghz, this lil dinky toy i have, something to ponder.

4. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4070 TI OC
    I've been steered away from the Zalman and was told that I might be better off with the Coolermaster 212 EVO. Any thoughts on air coolers? Not big into water...

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
  6. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4070 TI OC
  7. Octavean

Octavean Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760
    I'm in the same boat you're in, although, I am not upgrading but rather building an additional system. I had to repurpose a system not too long ago to act as a server when my main server failed so I was down a system. I eventually got the old server running again but it was time to make a change from WHS (v1 PP3) to Server 2012 Essentials anyway so there was no point in going back by decommissioning the new server. Therefore, the Core i7 5820K would be the replacement build.

I now have the following parts:

Core i7 5820K (~$310 USD after NJ tax at Microcenter)
    Asus X99-A (~$279 USD shipped Newegg)
    Crucial 4GB DDR4 2133 (~$50 shipped Newegg) Will add more RAM later.

That was all I needed to get started as I already had the following spare parts:

Choice of video cards: HD 6870 or I could swap a GTX760 or GTX670 from a different system
    Antec 300 Case
    Intel 330 Series 240GB SSD
    Asus BD optical disc drive
    Choice of OS: Windows 8.1 license, Windows 10 Technical Preview, Unix, Linux
    TheremalTake 700W SLI ready PSU (could swap a PSU from a different system)

I unfortunately didn't think of cooling until recently. I considered a few options but I keep coming back to the Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 at about ~$70 USD. I didn't want to go with such a big cooler because I wanted to be able to get to the DIMM slots easily without removing fans or removing the cooler. I also didn't really want to go with water cooling.

My other thought was to go with something cheaper like:

Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus EVO (~$35 USD / ~$25 USD A/R)
    Coolermaster Seidon 120V (~$50 USD)

As long as there is no OC involved, the Coolermaster options would seem viable IMO even with the Core i7 5820K, although, I haven't seen any reviews specifically with such a setup. I did find this review which includes a 6 core / 12 thread Intel Ivy Bridge-E Core i7 4930K / X79 setup (OCed to 4.5GHz / 1.4v):

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-and-Cooling/Cooler-Master-Seidon-120V-Liquid-CPU-Cooler-Review

It looks like the budget Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO HSF is quieter and often more efficient at cooling then the Coolermaster Seidon 120V closed loop water cooler.

8. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4070 TI OC
    Looks like the Hyper 212 EVO did as good a job. 79C at full load is not too shabby. I was only thinking of overclocking to around 3.8-4.0 max on the chip as well. My 3770K does 4.0 without breaking a sweat on the stock Intel heatsink. When gaming or normal activity, I never see temps higher than 70C. If I run Prime, it's a different story, but how many apps will tax the CPU like prime?

9. Octavean

Octavean Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760
    Indeed,...

The Hyper 212 EVO did surprisingly well compared to the Seidon 120v and is cheaper.

Still, if I recall correctly, the TDP of Haswell-E is 140W whereas Ivy Bridge-E is 130W. So I'm not sure that the review sample of a 4930K would yield the same results as a 5820K. It may be similar but not sure.

I don't much care for stock cooling but it will due in a pinch since its usually just good enough. As you know the Intel Enthusiast line of processors don't come with stock coolers so the builder is left to fend for themselves. Well,....sort of since "Intel still recommends its TS13X liquid cooling solution as a bare minimum" according to this:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8426/...review-core-i7-5960x-i7-5930k-i7-5820k-tested

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835203017

The Intel TS13X kind of looks a little like the Coolermaster Seidon 120V or perhaps more like the CORSAIR Hydro Series H50 (~$44.99 USD A/R) although looks can be deceiving. Either case I suspect the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO is likely just as good.

I really, really, really, just don't want to get off the ~$70 or so to buy the Noctua NH-D14 and I really, really, really don't want to have to deal with the space constraints inherent to any such massive dual radiator cooler but it looks like I might be going in that direction anyway,...

The cooler is the only thing that is holding me back now,...

10. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4070 TI OC
    Well, I did it. Picked up the 5820, with a Gigabyte X99 UD5-Wifi board and the Hyper Evo 212. Used Artic Silver 5 on instll and the temps aren't too shabby. Idle is around 35C (temps here in Texas still in the 90's)...and using Prime 95, I saw top end temp of around 70. All in all, not that bad, considering that nothing I use will tax the CPU like Prime. Pretty satisfied with the build results...

11. Octavean

Octavean Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760
    Excellent, thanks for posting the followup.

The Idle temps are fairly good at ~35C with the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO and AS-5. I never really like to see temps as high as ~70C but I don't suppose its too bad. Its not as if its 80C or higher.

I went with the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO because it was fairly cheap and easily accessible as well as a decent cooling solution. However, I won't even consider OCing with it. I would wait and switch to the Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 before OCing.

Unfortunately I'm fresh out of AS-5 but I have some AS Arctic Alumina thermal compound which I can use. Not a big deal considering I may switch the HSF later on.

Note to self: buy more AS-5,....

12. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4070 TI OC
    Still clocked at 3.8...will play more in the near future...but I can't believe how just this modest overclock effects everything around it. My 3DMark 11 scores with my video card (GTX 780 SC) are up 600 points and not even overclocking the video card...

Ran Prime 95 again yesterday. Now temps in TX have been somewhat lower after storms. Daytime highs around 78. CPU topped off at 63C. Something the guy at Microcenter mentioned with the EVO 212...was possibly replacing the HSF with a better quality one. That seemed to help a lot...but right now...not needed. Went into the bios and made sure that the fan speed controller worked properly. I order to do the graphical interface one, have to install Gigabyte software (ugh!). So right now, CPU fan is on auto, which will ramp it up as temp goes up.

According to Artic Silver people, takes up to 200 hours for the compound to totally settle in. They say to expect at least a 3-5C drop in temps over that time. Hoping!
    :)

13. Octavean

Octavean Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760
    I finally slapped my build together and I am seeing the same idle temp of about 35C. I used a dual fan push / pull configuration on the Hyper 212 EVO but one of the fans seems to be spinning slower. I'll have to adjust that or replace the fan.

I haven't had much time to really test and push the system yet.

BTW, I installed The Windows 10 Technical Preview as the OS. All drivers and applications as well as utilities installed / work fine.

14. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4070 TI OC
    Before you replace the fan...check your bios. In my bios, same thing happened, but I then set all the case fans to run at maximum. Only fan that I leave to AUTO config is the CPU...so it ramps up when temps go up. On my Gigabyte board, there are TWO CPU fan headers...for just that reason. Perhaps you can build a higher graph on the lower rpm one...

15. Octavean

Octavean Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760
    My thoughts exactly,....

I figured I needed to check the UEFI settings for the fans or perhaps the utility ASUS provides. The ASUS X99-A has dual CPU fan headers too and I suspect it's the secondary one that's a bit slow.

I just really haven't had much time to play with it or push it. I'd like to check to see if there is a new UEFI update and double check all UEFI settings. Then be sure all the drivers are updated.

But then again I might get sick of the Windows 10 technical preview and just wipe it clean,...then start over with Windows 8.1 Update 1. I'd like to try a few games first though,....

16. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4070 TI OC
    OK...so temps here in the Dallas area hit 92 today. Computer room pretty warm...tested Prime 95 again...highest temp was Core 2...hit 66, while the others remained around 61-63. Not shabby

17. Octavean

Octavean Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760
    Yeah, not too bad,...

I started tweaking the fan settings with the Asus utilities and got the secondary CPU fan running at full speed and matching the primary CPU fan speed. It now idles at about ~31C.

I still haven't had time to really push the system but I did try a few runs of Cinebench. I'll try some other utilities and start playing a game or two to stress it. I'm very satisfied with it so far though. Its actually quite responsive with just 4GB of RAM. I'll bump the RAM up to about 8GB soon and I might just go for a GTX 970 too,....

Also I think I have decided against the Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 and might go with a Thermalright macho (HR-02 Macho Rev. A with Socket 2011 support) instead if I want to OC in the not too distant future.

18. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4070 TI OC
    Looks like you benefited from push / pull. Wonder if I should try that.

19. Octavean

Octavean Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760
    It's worth a try. I'm tempted to say it can't hurt but that isn't exactly true if the fans aren't running at about the same speed. Such an inequality would probably cause turbulent airflow and could cause temps to go up a little.

You will note that the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO comes with two sets of wire fan braces and a set of foam cushions with adhesive backing to attach a secondary fan. Basically everything you need to attach the secondary fan is in the box with the exception of the secondary fan itself.

I'm in NYC though so the temps here are a good deal lower.