Need help with STALKER mods on Steam.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by TroM, Feb 7, 2008.

1. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
    I can't to get any STALKER mods to work (yes I start a new game, and I edited the fsgame.ltx file) version is 1.0005 since Steam updates it automatically....

Just wondering if there is anyone playing Stalker on Steam with any mods installed. If so, then where do you extract any mod files? I noticed that there is a "mod" folder in the "Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/stalker shadow of chernobyl/mods" directory. However if I extract anything there the game fails to launch and causes an engine error.

I also tried extracting to the "Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/stalker shadow of chernobyl" directory and it causes the same error?

2. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

You need to create a folder called 'gamedata' in the main directory, then you need to download a programme caled stalker data unpacker and unpack all the compressed .dbx files to this folder before you adjust the fsgame.ltx file, make sure you update first.

You can then copy all the mods to the gamedata folder, just make sure you make a copy of the original gamedata folder straight after extracting the compressed game files so if anything goes wrong you dont need to reextract all the file again as it takes quite a while.

you can find all the rest of the information from the stalker thread, also make sure you install the ' Float32_1.7088b_rev_a ' version of float and not the later version as it doesn't work as well.

[​IMG]

3. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
    Thanks for posting, but I don't get what these .dbx files are...

Most of the mods come in a .zip and sometimes all they are (like the trader mod) is just a .ltx script file. Should I just extract the .zip mod file into the gamedata folder I am supposed to make?

4. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

OK i'll try to explain how it works. When you create a gamedate folder and tell the fsgame.ltx file to look in the gamedata folder by changing the 'false' to 'true' it no longer looks in the stalker game directory for essential files that run the game but instead it starts to look in the gamedata folder which obviously does not contain the essential game files.

The gamefiles are stored in the main directory and are compressed and have the extention .db'x' the 'x' can be a number or a letter such as gamedata.db1 for e.g.

You need to use the 'stalker data unpacker' utility easily found by using google to extract the compressed files to the new folder called gamedata so that after you place mods in that folder and the game runs from the gamedata folder it uses the new modded files along with the original files. If you look at the screenshot I have attached you may understand more clearly.

Most of the texture mods for surfaces, weather etc. need to be placed in this folder and are larger files.

It's all listed in the stalker thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2008

5. Erca

Erca New Member

Hey, I have done all of that and I can't play it. I can startup the game but when I go to resume or make a new game, it crashes. I need a little help, please :bang:

6. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

After updating and unpacking the datafiles in to the data folder did you make a copy ? If so then rename the original folder something the name the copy gamedata, and then work backwards from there and try to figure out what caused the error, it's quite common to have to redo do it thats why you should always make a copy. I also don't know if that will work with the steam version as I have the normal version.

7. Erca

Erca New Member

Now I can't get my saves to work. If I load them, they crash the game. Only the auto-saves work.

8. pkqe33

pkqe33 New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8400
    I maked all this....and it doest work....
    i unpacked the data..installed float32 (it slowed my game) i installed 2-3 mods and i start a new game....then i save it and load it...and BUM
    Back to directory.... uff..
    need some help please

P.D: :stewpid:

9. pkqe33

pkqe33 New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8400
    Another thing.

Hello again.
    Today i maked all the things, and now i have a doubt:
    I changed the directory when the game have to look for gamefiles, but, i install 1 mod with the smart mod manager, and start a new game, but then it crash!
    Then i saw that the gamedata folder where i extracted the parts its...empty...
    Only there are some config files, just like when u delete everything.
    I tried to do it again, but the same happen...
    i dont know what to do....
    Please, if some1 can help me...
    Tomorrow i will post an images...
    Bye.

P.D::stewpid:

10. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Trying to use both the mod manager and manually creating the gamedata folder can cause issues, most mod managers keep mod files in a different directory. Also try to use mods released after the most recent stalker update.

11. pkqe33

pkqe33 New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8400
    another question

Sorry, but any1 can link me to that " Stalker post" that BlackZero said?

Sorry im new, and i searched for that post, but i only found the Stalker : clear sky thread"
    And..the problem continues....:puke2:

12. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
  13. tehalirigsho

tehalirigsho Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 SC
    just got Shadow for $2 on Steam! One issue...

is there any way to make the character movement feel more like Clear Sky??

14. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Movement?

If so then no, Clear Sky (And probably Call of Pripyat.) uses a technique that makes animations more fluid (FootIK, stepping is more correct, used in Saboteur and Fallout 3 as well to name other examples.)

If it's head bob and camera "lag" then the cam_inert console commands and a mod for head-bobbing might improve things a bit.
    (Normally cam_inert is best left at 0 for more responsive camera and mouse movements.)

For other mods I tried Stalker Complete 1.4.3.1 as well a while ago but didn't get far, felt like a reskin of the original game (Using all sorts of FBSBanana resources and mods like Weather Ovehaul, Sk4ce / Float 32 and others like panoramic and so on.) but with minor tweaks and additions, I've probably played out Stalker by now. (Same with Clear Sky, looking forward to Pripyat when it's released in February although I suppose importing the Polish version, as it has English audio, and using a translation mod might be doable as well but that would increase cost and such so I'll wait instead, haha.)