Good temp for my gpu?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by UndeadCreepshow, Dec 21, 2013.

1. UndeadCreepshow

UndeadCreepshow Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6790
    I just got a Radeon HD 6790 today and i'm just curious what are good normal and max load temps for my video card? So far my normal idle temp is from 55-58C and my max load temps are from 77-85c. Is this normal or should i be worried?

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Idle 55°C is too high. Clean heatsink, if that does not help, change thermal compound.
    And just ob be sure, is that right after cold system start? As you may have even very low airflow in case. That would mean similar temperatures for CPU and other components.

3. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Hi, high 50s is quite high for idle but depends if it was new or second hand and also where you live as well, but pretty much as fox said... i always replace thermal paste it also worth replacing the thermal pads on the memory and vrm`s with EK thermal pads just make sure you get the correct thickness pads, in my experience most cards use 1mm and 1.5mm pads

4. pjokerxp

pjokerxp Banned

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 680 2GB
    the temps are that bad but as Fox2232 try cleaning the heatsing atleast remove the dust. and if still check if you GPU is not downclocking when in idle.

I have GTX680 and my temps were around yours in idle, I found that Razer Synapse program for my mouse is using my GPU even when minimized

5. UndeadCreepshow

UndeadCreepshow Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6790

Yeah i use Razer Synapse, maybe that is causing it. How do i check if it's not downclocking correctly?

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Depends on whether he's running multiple monitors or not. My hottest gpu idles at 52C with 2 monitors enabled and only 32C with one monitor enabled. Vram will clock to 3D clocks with 2 monitors, causing higher idle temps. But I'm sure you know that :)

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    monitor your clocks with MSI Afterburner.

8. UndeadCreepshow

UndeadCreepshow Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6790
    I am running 2 monitors. Also looking at my clocks on All GPU Meter and when i open MSI Afterburner it keeps fluctuating between 300Mhz and 840Mhz. So with 2 monitors do this temps seem to be ok?

Edit: Ok MSI Afterburner is completely off and it is still fluctuating only with a browser open

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yes, in that case your temps are ok. Try only running 1 monitor, give it a minute or so and check your temps, I'm pretty sure you'll be down to mid to high 30s.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  10. UndeadCreepshow

UndeadCreepshow Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6790
    Okay but i'm still noticing lots of fluctuating when it shouldn't be, how do i find out what is specifically causing it?

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    clocks will fluctuate, depending on load. I'm running 1 monitor atm, because I like my temps down. but there's certain things that will trigger clocks to jump up/down. Even things like playing youtube videos, among other things.

12. UndeadCreepshow

UndeadCreepshow Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6790
    ok well as long as my temps are in okay range for dual monitors and i'm not in danger of my card ****ting out on me i think i'm good.

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    right click on your windows desktop, then screen resolution, then select only 1 monitor from the drop down menu. run it like that for a minute or so and post back with your temps. Just to make sure everything is dandy.

14. UndeadCreepshow

UndeadCreepshow Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6790
    Got down to around 40C, which is pretty good considering my case is small and has crappy airflow. I will be getting a new case in January hopefully.

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Yep, that's correct. Those temps are fine. you'll be looking at mid 30s with a better case. I thought you could be in the high 30s/low 40s with a crappy case. So yeah, nothing much to worry about. Get a shiny new case.

Oh, and when you're putting everything back into the new case, give your gpu a good old blow to clear all the dust build up, there will be some. I always recommend doing this when re-building rigs.

16. UndeadCreepshow

UndeadCreepshow Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6790

I look for dust in my rig every other week or so because my apartment is known for collecting dust easily. So i usually stay on top of that, and i replace the thermal paste on my CPU about every 2 to 3 months. I try to take as good care of it as i can knowing because i don't have good airflow at the moment. My case has no front fans or any ports for front fans, only 2 back fans and a side vent plus the fans that are on the components themselves.

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    you really don't have to replace the cpu thermal paste every 2-3 months, I replaced mine when I got a new motherboard about 6 months ago, but the old one was around a year and a half old without issues.

What is you case exactly? It looks like your components are starved of fresh cold air going into the case, also you'll have negative pressure (more air being pushed out of the case than pushed in) which can cause more dust build up.

In general you want more intake fans, all of them filtered. If you have more exhaust fans, the air will be sucked into the case a little bit more through places it shouldn't really be pulled in.

Ideally, you want all your intakes filtered, and clean your filters out on regular basis. Hope this helps.

18. UndeadCreepshow

UndeadCreepshow Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6790
    So the fans on the back should i have them blowing into the case since its the only 2 case fans i have? I always thought u want the fans blowing out to blow the hot air out lol

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    normally the back fans are exhausts, same goes for top.

I have the following setup:

1x 140mm front intake
    2x 120mm bottom intake
    1x 140mm side intake
    1x 140mm back exhaust
    1x 140mm top exhaust

So as you see, I have most of the cold air coming in through the front/bottom side of the case. Hot air naturally raises, hence the exhausts at the top. Basically, the cold air comes in through various places and is sucked out through the top/back top of the case.

If you have 2 exhaust fans at the back of the case, I would look into moving one of them somewhere else and using them as intake. Again, what case exactly do you have?

Also, good cable management helps with airflow in a case with good amount of fans.

20. UndeadCreepshow

UndeadCreepshow Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6790