Novatech Connect 3D r9500

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Bisclimpkit, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Bisclimpkit

Bisclimpkit Guest

Guys, I have a Novatech Connect 3D r9500 (128MB) and I'm having trouble modding it into an r9700. I know that this card can be modded because someone on this forum managed it successfully so I must be doing something wrong. I have downloaded CATALYST 3.0 and 2.5. This is what I have done:

1: Installed the original r9500 drivers that came with the CD.

2: Unzipped CATALYST into a directory.

3: In the directory:

C:\ATI\support\wxp-w2k-radeon-7-81-021218a-007192c-efg\2KXP_INF\BX_07038

I renamed the file "ati2mtag.sy_" to "ati2mtag.bak"

4: I copied the file "ati2mtag.sys" from:

c:\windows\system32\drivers

to

5: Using rivatuner, I patched "ati2mtag.sys" that is located in:

6: I renamed the PATCHED "ati2mtag.sys" to "ati2mtag.sy_"

7: Went to control panel, went to "add/remove programes" and uninstalled the current r9500 drivers. Rebooted.

8: Installed the new drivers from:

And rebooted.

9: MAJOR COMPUTER PROBLEMS! WINDOWS IS IN 640x480 RESOLUTION AND IS ONLY IN 16 COLOURS!!! WHEN I RIGHT CLICK ON THE SCREEN TO GO TO DISPLAY PROPERTIES (SO I CAN SET THE RESOLUTION)...THE COMPUTER RESTARTS....FORCING ME TO INSTALL THE ORIGINAL R9500 DRIVERS AGAIN!!!

So my question is....do I use the catalyst drivers to mod or what? Or what am I doing wrong? I have 4 extra pipelines on my r9500 which aren't doing anything. They gotta be used so that I can start benchmarking.

PLEASE HELP!! :( :( :( :(

2. Bisclimpkit

Bisclimpkit Guest

3. FinalFantasy

FinalFantasy Guest

I am not sure why you are complicating the installation. you do not need to copy or rename or delete anything. the installation with rivatuner should be very easy.

install your original catalyst drivers (any version you like). And do not modify them . Just leave them alone. then install rivatuner.

Then click on rivatuner, then click the "power user" tab then click the "open patch script" botton. Then select the "patch scripts" folder. then select the "ati" folder. then double click soft9700 then doubleclick the soft9700 w2k file. Now it will ask you to select a destination, select your harddisk, then "windows", then "system32", And finally select "drivers" . Within the folder "drivers", you will find the file "ati2mtag" , just doubleclick it and you are done!!!!.

If you experience any artifacts or your system freezes, then the problem is with the card and not rivatuner. Good luck.

4. ectx

ectx Guest

I am guessing this is becasue you forced an earlier version of ati2mtag to cat3.0. I am surprised that it even installed.

You should leave the 7192c ati2mtag.sy_ in the folder and use the script to mod that file (specify you want to patch a sy_ file in the sof9700).

Resintall should fix your problem.

5. Bisclimpkit

Bisclimpkit Guest

cheers guys, got it sorted.

Now I just get those damn checkerboard effects. Doh!

I'll stick with the r9500, there's no noticeable difference when I run games anyways.

6. i don't understand why you guys have some much trouble installing the patch

i done it like this:

1- installed drivers
    2- rebooted in safe mode
    3- in safe mode i applied the patch to the ati2mtag.sys or whatever file that the patch needs, in the windows/system32/drivers folder.
    4-reboot

its as simple as that! no messy installing at all.