Upgrade time i7 950 to 4770K

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by grunger, Aug 2, 2014.

1. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Not sure why anyone would get a 4770 now with new hardware coming out around the corner, unless of course you simply can't afford it..

however, with new hardware its pay to play, and the upcoming 5960 and 5930 will be superior and will be the more future proofed solution. I don't plan on upgrading after Haswell-E for a good couple years as 6 core will be perfectly fine for the long haul.

2. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Dolphin isn't really a fair program to use to justify getting any CPU that has more then two cores. That new anniversary Pentium will be enough to happily run dolphin. LLE on thread and OpenMP don't make enough of a difference.

Chances are, OP wants a new CPU for more then Dolphin, easily justifying an i7.

3. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700XT @ H₂O
    demanding games are often cpu limited, so adding an extra thread by running LLE in a thread of its own does mean a major speed boost. bottom line, for dolphin, you really want at least 3 cores :)

still, performance of i5 and i7 is identical in most cases. the benefit you get out of the slightly bigger L3 cache is minimal, if there is even one. and then theres HT. oh well, im repeating myself, so this i the last post in this thread:

i7 is overpriced and overrated. i5 is great value and on par with i7 performance.

4. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    That being the case, the sheer amount of power behind these new CPU's, even with HT on, plows though every game Dolphin is able to play.
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/pentium_20th_anniversary_series_g3258_processor_review,14.html
    Even in scenarios where more cores and threads would help alot more then it would in Dolphin, that 2 core CPU with a OC can keep up with CPU's more then 5x the price and much less cache.

If I were OP I would get a new GPU only. He's got a great OC on that CPU, it might not be ideal but it's enough to get by even with a 780 Ti.

5. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    Thanks for the reply's all! A genuine discussion on the worth of the upgrade was exactly what I was after

I am a not a big emu guy on this machine
    (I have a Mame cabinet, a Visual Pinball cabinet a N64, NES,NES,MasterSystem and Megadrive for that ;) )

I tend to do a board/cpu/ram once every 3-5years, and do 2 GPUs in the life of that machine.

I game, I encode, I do general work stuff.

I work as a SysAdmin, so I'm well aware of the lower end hardware, but the higher end stuff I tend to see less of and don't have the time I used to to watch the benchmarking scene.

If I can get a 35% or so performance jump on my current rig and then grab an 870 when then show up I'm happy to go for it.

I will be watching the Broadwell relapse first though!

6. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700XT @ H₂O
    unfortunately no. there are still games that run into the occasional slowdown. prime 2+3, xenoblade, last story, f-zero x and quite a few more. that is if youre playing on 1080p and not the native wii resolution.

7. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Strange. I feel like were hijacking the thread but whatever. I've been able to run all those games at 100% on my i5 750 at 3.5 GHz, let alone my 4770K with HT on. Also at 1080p at least, usually above when using 4x internal res.

Maybe I simply have not put enough time into the games to experience this, the only ones I've dropped a lot of time into was the Prime games. Which all ran great, even when using LLE dsp. Though widescreen hack is crap in those games, would be nice if they could find some genius way to fix that (though I seriously doubt it, then again seeing a similar problem in wind waker get fixed I have some hope).

I'm not sure what else to say, Xenoblade and Last Story run fine without drops on my machine, above 1080p, but I only got about 25% though them. F-Zero I don't remember how it ran... Maybe because I don't use AA? I only bother with FXAA.

8. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700XT @ H₂O
    i think hijacking is fine at this point: op already decided on what to get :)

an older first gen i5 could never ever run F-Zero or Prime at full speed @ 1080p. even a 4770k @ 4.4GHz might run into the occassional slowdown from time to time actually. especially f-zero has an unpredictable framerate unfortunately.

also, I am talking about the wii revision of the prime games, which boost higher resolution textures and additional effects along with widescreen. so yeah, the GC version does run a lot smoother^^

as for xeno and last story: maybe they have been improved in the latest builds. I have to admit that its been quite a few builds ago that I last tested them.

whats funny about AA in dolphin is, that it either has close to zero impact on the framerate or a ****load. i dunno why, but thats how it is. i mostly have AA off. its fine at 4x IR anyway :D

9. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I have to say that my system can't run every Dolphin game on 100%, although the vast majority I play simply aren't a problem. That's running at 4.4ghz, and while the build you use can make a huge difference some games are simply hogs. It's the same with PCSX2 to be honest, almost everything I play is fine but there will be that rare game that has performance issues.

Speaking of Xenoblade Chronicles however, I'm using a build that's pretty much catered to the game and has very few issues. That's along with the texture pack and button pack for the 360 pad, it's an absolute joy to play. Would highly recommend getting back into it, you really shouldn't have any issues with it.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  10. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Alright, yeah I was playing the GC versions. I guess mostly for nostalgia lol. And I don't have F-Zero, so I guess that pretty much tells us why we have had such different experiences.

11. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    I'd say keep the i7 you have now and save the pennies for the new kit. I'm feeling the itch too for a new cpu/ram/mobo setup but I just can't justify the cost/performance to do so. I suppose the new chips are a bit faster, have better power usage all whilst running at lower temps which are all good points but for the cost of a new mobo, cpu and having to pull my water loop apart to fit it all...nah.
    I waited with my ancient Q6600 and i'll wait with my ancient 950.