NEED HELP Low GPU usage and FPS in CrossfireX

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by david1006, Apr 29, 2012.

1. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    dont know if that psu could take a BD oc man. very power hungry. bf3 and metro should have fairly low cpu usage if the other games are like 90% that there is your problem.
    EDIT see your second card is 4x. in all honesty I would buy a new psu. something like a 650watt corsair. sell your 2 6870 buy something like a 7870 single gpu and overclock that 8120 some. if you do not to do all that at least buy a new psu and oc your cpu and maybe the gpus a little

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  2. david1006

david1006 Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB
    ubersampling witcher 2 is off and i know i can hit 4GHz with out increasing the voltage. on this cpu i did it be for

3. ihatelolcats

ihatelolcats Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6870 CrossfireX
    what drivers are you using? are you using CAPs?

4. david1006

david1006 Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB
    I OC my CPU to 4GHz i play Alan Wake GPU usage got up to GPU1 71% GPU2 81% 45FPS i try to get 4.5GHz but my pc wont boot up im using catalyst 12.4

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Heaven stresses the GPU....not the CPU. Games will stress both.

Seen many problems caused by insufficient power. You might want to do some research.

Now, lets look at some simple facts here. His PSU has a maximum of 22amps on 2, 12V rails. Now, his 12v rails only produce roughly 407watts, leaving roughly 33A to be split amongst the 2, 12v rails when both are loaded. Now, this isn't an issue when running 1 card since that's all the PSU was designed to run. This becomes an issue when trying to run 2 cards as the PSU was not designed to support this type of load or configuration.

If he was trying to run the system on a PSU with only 24A....then yes, the system would flat out crash. But, in this case it appears the cards are simply throttling due to insufficient power. He needs at least 38-42A (actual output, not theoretical) to properly power the system

(Technical note: The 3.3v line supplies 82.5watts, the 5v line supplies 125watts according to the label, leaving only 407.5watts of it's 614watt maximum for the group).

6. david1006

david1006 Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB
    that do make sense if so what do you think will be a good power supply to buy?.

7. deluxe

deluxe Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti G1
    Before you tell me to do some research, have you actually done research yourself about what you are saying?
    Yes, his PSU is garbage and yes I would replace it.
    But I can say with 99% certainty that it's not the PSU causing low GPU usage.
    I don't believe GPU's will throttle when a PSU is insufficient.
    So if you have done research, I'd like you to back those statements up with facts.
    I'm leaving the 1% open for you to prove me wrong.

8. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    In all honestly if it was my system i wouldn't risk turning it on with 2 graphics cards in it or an overclock till i went out and brought a new corsair/seasonic 750-850w PSU for it. 2x 22amp rails won't power that rig properly, bulldozer is very inefficient drawing probably like 200w at 4GHz and the 6870's are 150w each making it ~500w possible power draw for your system mostly on those 2 12v 22a rails.

While it does look like Alan Wake game may be CPU limited your lack of performance in other games is probably because those GPU's combined with high CPU load just can't get enough power.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The graphics cards alone, at stock clocks consume 276watts. His processor, at stock clocks under load consumes 163watts for a total of 436watts. That's awful high for a rail that can only produce 407watts.

That's directly from every GPU review done on this site and has been proven accurate in every case.

Saying that underpowering a computer will definitely cause crashing, is the furthest thing from the truth. The result depends on the extent of which you're underpowering the system. If you'd drop the BS ego, which only proves lack of knowledge, you might actually learn something. Some of us have been doing this for a rather long time...

10. david1006

david1006 Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
  12. deluxe

deluxe Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti G1
    What you quoted still isn't factual information.
    How long you've been "doing this" is irrelevant, I'm pretty sure i've been "doing it" longer or at least as long as most of you.

I am saying this now: Replacing the PSU will not suddenly fix the GPU usage.
    We'll see when OP has replaced his PSU.
    He needs a new PSU anyway, so it's not a bad suggestion, but it's not going to solve his problem.

13. david1006

david1006 Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB
    what do you think is the problem then?

14. deluxe

deluxe Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti G1
    It could be because of one card running at 16x speed, and one at 4x speed.
    It was a major issue with the P55 chipset if they ran 16x/4x instead of 8x/8x. (because the 4x wasn't even 4x 2.0 there)
    Now I haven't really bothered with AMD for the last ~8 years, so I wouldn't know if AMD boards with 16x/4x had these same issues.

Try and find out if more people with similar setups have the same issue.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    @David, I'd go with this one personally as it provides more than adequate power and has all 4 necessary 6pin PCIe Aux connectors as well as producing all the amperage you'll need.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021

So, every review site is lying?? Not a good thing to say....especially after it's been proven factual countless times....

But, I'll fall back on an agreement I previously made.....and end with this. The first step in solving ANY hardware related problem is ensuring adequate power is supplied to components. Components can't operate at full potential (or load in this case) if not supplied sufficient power. Of course, anyone with knowledge of electronics already knows this.

16. david1006

david1006 Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB
    ok ill buy it when i get the money.

17. david1006

david1006 Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB
    i can see your point but ever time i play a game GPU2 running on the x4 line always have more GPU usage then GPU1 i try playing Witcher 2 with 1 GPU running on x16 line i got 87% GPU usage and Alan Wake i got 99% GPU usage so it can very well be cpu bottleneck and the lack of power.

18. MadelineX

MadelineX Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 295x2
    You have catalysapplication profiles installed
    Right?

19. david1006

david1006 Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB
    no i don't send me a link ill download it

20. THEBIG360

THEBIG360 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Phantom 670's SLI
    Hi mate, i was having an issue like that. However i have just upgraded from a Q9550, socket 775 mobo and ddr2 to my specs in my info to the side and my mind has been blown.

5870 lives on, although a do have a very itchy feeling to upgrade my GPU but i will resist.