Dual SLI GTX 1080 Which PCI Slots to Use ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by pistonbroke, Oct 12, 2016.

1. pistonbroke

pistonbroke Guest

Hi, newbie here and newbie to full on PC build.

I have an "MSI Z170A Mpower Gaming Titanium" board with 3 PCI-E slots and want to fit 2 x GTX 1080 cards, with a Nvidia SLI HS Bridge.

Question - which two slots of the 3 should i use ?

One combination apparently gives x16 / x4, while the other options gives x8 / x8...

Really not sure if one setup would be better than the other, except for maybe a bit more airflow between the cards if spaced in slots 1 & 3 !!

Any help appreciated, learning like a sponge right now !

Thanks all

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  3. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Nice build for a newbie, enjoy.

4. mstcobra

mstcobra Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti (H2O)
    For that board you will need to use slots PCI_E2 & PCI_E4 for an x8 x8 configuration because SLI will not work at x4.

For that spacing you will want to use one of the two bridges:

I know it's weird, there is no standardization with spacing measurements yet. Currently EVGA measures by the gap/space between double slot cards and Nvidia measures by the length of the bridge.

Btw - with that stacked spacing you will see some higher thermals on the top card. In stacked setups like that, good case ventilation is even more important than normal.

And yeah, nice build!

5. pistonbroke

pistonbroke Guest

Up and Running

Thanks guys for the quick replies. x8 / x8 it is.

As it happens that's also the only realistic solution for Dual boards on the Z170A MPower Gaming board Ti. If the 2nd card was dropped to the 3rd PCI-E slot, it would block access to all the bottom row USB, SATA, HD Audio etc connections on the Motherboard..

Lit it up tonight with no apparent problems. Plenty of optimization work left I'm sure, but so far Alive is good..

Primary gaming will be Racing games, been a while for me, need for speed last game I played ! Hope to play either on Multi screen eyefinity setup (3 x Asus 26"), or ideally on Samsung 4K 65" Smart TV ??? Maybe a dumb idea - still learning.

Thanks all again. Will attach Pic when I work out how to on this Forum (URL ??) - will tidy up wiring later !!

6. pistonbroke

pistonbroke Guest

[​IMG]

Not sure why i'm not allowed to post a picture yet. Will when i'm allowed :confused:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2016
  7. mstcobra

mstcobra Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti (H2O)
    Try uploading the pic somewhere then pasting that link into the Insert Image field.

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I think there is a requirement to have a certain number of posts before being able to post links.