Club3d HD7870xt jokercard Black Screen Crashing

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by diblet, Jan 23, 2013.

1. 1ceMaster

1ceMaster Guest

GPU:
    Club3D HD7870 (Tahiti LE)
    I think this is a rare issue and you should not be concerned too much. The card is great and IMO the best price/performance ratio you can get right now.

If you live in USA/Canada you also have the choice of getting a 7870 XT from Sapphire which runs much cooler than this one but performs just as good (and maybe more overclocking room because of lower temps).

My suggestion, don't be too worried about reliability because Club3D and PowerColor cards do come with 2 year warranty if you get a bad card. Just make sure whichever card you buy comes with warranty and you are good to go.

Give it a go, you won't regret it! ;)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  2. Solitude

Solitude Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7870 XT 2GB
    Phew!

@ OP .. Cool man Thanks! :)

3. 1ceMaster

1ceMaster Guest

GPU:
    Not the OP but no problem :p

And good luck! Don't forget to upgrade your PSU first though. At least 500w is recommended on the box (I suggest 600w or more just incase).

4. gues100

gues100 Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor 7870 Myst
    Registered just to say I have the exact same problem with the Powercolor Myst (basically the same card). My 12V load never goes below 12 and I'm maxing out at 75C in furmark with some aftermarket cooling. Furmark and occt are all rock solid stable. It seems to work fine in some games (Tropico, Crysis for example) and then SimCity crashes with a screen freeze and continued sound loop in the background after about 15 minutes every time. I upgraded to the 12.3 beta 7 drivers and I'm still having the same issue.

5. 1ceMaster

1ceMaster Guest

GPU:
    I think the issue lies either with your PSU or it is a faulty GPU (probably a bad VRAM chip that freezes due to overheating).

If you are sure your PSU is working fine, then I guess you will have to RMA the card (it is definitely better if you can recreate your problem in front of your vendor for easier proof that your card is faulty because they may have a hard time recreating the problem on their own).

Here is another topic of mine at overclock.net which provides some great insights for the troubleshooting of a faulty GPU: http://www.overclock.net/t/1353326/club3d-7870-xt-jokercard-tahiti-le-freezing-hanging-pc-with-vertical-horizontal-lines

Good luck! Hope your issue gets resolved quick. :thumbup:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  6. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    Strange, i'm running my Joker at 1150 core, 1650 mem and its solid

7. 1ceMaster

1ceMaster Guest

GPU:
    It's definitely not an issue with this model/series. It appears on a select few cards. My new 7870 jokerCard has no issues at all (I am yet to overclock it though) even though the one I returned had severe freezing/black screens/hanging.

8. adesisto

adesisto Guest

GPU:
    PowerColor hd6870 1GB
    Same problem with a sapphire hd7870XT... all XTs are broken??? too many cards reported with problems.

I'll send it to the shop tomorrow and I'll buy a nvidia 660ti. I'm sick of AMD :)banana::banana:).

9. 1ceMaster

1ceMaster Guest

GPU:
    My new 7870 XT (Club3D) works perfect. The issue is present only in some faulty cards (much less than the previous models of HD 7 series).

And you won't be getting the same performance with 660ti and it will be more expensive too! At least where I live... (so lower Performance Per Dollar).

10. adesisto

adesisto Guest

GPU:
    PowerColor hd6870 1GB
    GTX660ti is between hd7870XT and HD7950. I talk about TI version of 660. But you are right about the price.

Anyway there are a lot of hd7870xt cards with failures and problems. AMD and the builders should have a better quality system.

11. 1ceMaster

1ceMaster Guest

GPU:
    Even though I can't say from personal experience (haven't used or benchmarked 660ti) but both the cards seem pretty much on par in gaming performance.

Refer to: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/647?vs=548

Remember though, the benchmark comparisons are of a plain 7870 (non XT) and that too when the AMD drivers weren't greatly optimized. The last 4-5 builds of AMD drivers gave these card much better performance (on average an increase of 5-10 FPS) in most games.

Considering 7870 XT is 5-10% faster than a normal 7870, there should be a very minimal difference between the two cards (if any at all) and they should perform on par with each other. So considering the price difference it would make the AMD 7870XT a better choice for me when compared to 660ti.

Agree on the build quality issues though. I have seen quite a lot of complaints about these AMD cards as-well. But the issue was more common with plain 7870 (especially Sapphire) rather than 7870xt.

Anyways, good-luck with returning the card! :thumbup: And enjoy the 660ti ;)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  12. Gamertech100

Gamertech100 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 2GB
    I checked out this thread out of interest, although I have a 7850 but I was looking at the 7870 also before I bought it.... Those temps sound odd to me... I have my 7850 overclocked to 1150 mhz with the fan set at 40% and my temperatures are 55 max... must say i'm glad to have purchased the 7850 over the 7870