Need advice on building a gaming computer thanks

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by gmneil2017, Aug 7, 2015.

1. gmneil2017

gmneil2017 Guest

GPU:
    palit gtx 970 jetstream
    Hi guys,

Im planning to build a PC with the specs below. My question is, will this be enough to run games on ultra settings (e.g witcher 3, batman arkham, GTA V)? can this also enough to play upcoming games for the next few years? Any changes or need to replace? Thanks guys!!

Specs:
    Processor: i5 4690 3.5ghz
    Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97 mark 1
    GPU: Palit GTX 970 jetstream
    PSU: Seasonic X-650 gold plus
    Memory: Gslick Ripjaw 1x 8gig
    Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
    Casing: Aerocool GT-R black edition

2. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I am sure I have seen this spec before

1 stick of ram not a good idea get 2 x4gb or 2 x 8gb
    gtx 970 is good for 1920x1080p gaming gtx 980 is more future proof
    i5 is good for gaming (if you overclock get the i5 4690K) i7 slightly more future proof and may be better for DX12 gaming
    Noctua NH D15 is newer and better
    sabretooth mark 1 is good mark 2 is the same without armour and is cheaper
    PSU good brand 750w may be better more headroom
    case is nice. I use HAF 912 similar style

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  3. gmneil2017

gmneil2017 Guest

GPU:
    palit gtx 970 jetstream
    thanks a lot, do you think this can play upcoming games for the next few years? even if i have to lower the settings that's okay with me as long as it gives a good fps for those games.

4. davoz28caboose

davoz28caboose Guest

GPU:
    EVGA980tiSuperclocked+ACX
    No bottlenecks that I see. And I would go for the 980 for semi future-proofing fps wise

5. gmneil2017

gmneil2017 Guest

GPU:
    palit gtx 970 jetstream
    unfortunately i can't afford 980 for now coz there's a big difference in terms of price for 970 and 980. anyway, 970 still a good choice for now? will it last for atleast 2 or 3 years (i dont mind lower settings as long as i could play it with a good fps). thanks

6. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    it will last for 2-3 years but you will have to lower setting as more demanding games are released

7. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Don't really think the 980 gives anything much over the 970, if you oc the 970 it's about the same.

If you're eyeing for 980, then already a 980 Ti is the better deal.

With a 980 Ti you'll be set for the future nicely, won't have to upgrade for a few years. Ideal card for 1440p and higher hz. :)

If you're on 1080p it will be overkill.. but it'll last really long.. :D

Also if you're getting a non k version cpu, you don't really need a big massive NOCTUA NH DH14 cooler, totally pointless, waste of money right there.

Don't get any aftermarket cpu cooler, won't need it. If you're not overclocking it, totally pointless.

Leave that as it is.

As others said, get 2 sticks of ram, either 2x4 or 2x8.

If you're on 1080p then 970 will be totally fine tbh, given if you oc it too ofc. Give it a max oc. :) You'll be ok with a year or two.

8. xeph

xeph Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1480/7200
    yeah i think ocing would definitly be a good idea, youve got aftermarket 970 and they run really cool even when oced, id go z97 with a "k" series cpu with an unlocked multiplier, then the n5 d15 would be really worth it with your cpu, it will run cooler than my 4670k because of its crappy TIM lol. and i think that dual channel will be good aswell for better performance

9. gmneil2017

gmneil2017 Guest

GPU:
    palit gtx 970 jetstream
    hi, thanks for the advice.. regarding cooler, yeah most people tell me that its not necessary.. but i just want the looks of those big heatsinks inside my pc haha.. anyway, im using a thermaltake spinq vt cooler on my pc now.. my temps for cpu core are 65C consistently.. if i use that noctua for that build it will lower the temp much more right? and is 65C temperature normal or bad while playing game?. btw is palit a good brand.. some say its not? is that true? thanks

10. gmneil2017

gmneil2017 Guest

GPU:
    palit gtx 970 jetstream
    thanks :), its a non K cpu what im planning for that build, since i dont know how to OC honestly scared to try haha. anyway i just want to lower my temps for cpu, eventhough its a non K cpu that noctua will lower my temps right? thanks

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Where are you from and what is your budget?

12. gmneil2017

gmneil2017 Guest

GPU:
    palit gtx 970 jetstream
    hmm.. im from philippines, budget is i think more or less $1500 if converted from our currency.

13. xeph

xeph Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1480/7200
    yes of course it will lower temps, but as Deathchild said, it is quite unnecisarry, get something like a hyper 212 evo by coolermaster if your worried about stock cooler temps and noise... a nh d15 or d14 is for ocing your cpu quite heavily, if your not ocing you dont need such an expensive cooling solution, id buy a cheaper one if your worried and use the spare cash to improve something else in the build, and ocing is very easy and if you know limits and safe ranges then its very risk free and your getting more performance for free, i always overclock for this reason and yes you can oc 970 to 980 stock performance easily, i have 1537mhz core and performance is ace

14. gmneil2017

gmneil2017 Guest

GPU:
    palit gtx 970 jetstream
    ohhh ok thanks... are those temperature normal? and btw whats the difference between 212 evo to 212x?

15. xeph

xeph Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1480/7200
    not exactly sure, not much i dont think betwen the two, id just get the evo, those temps seem fine 65c is way within safe range for haswell, and your not ocing so it doesnt matter anway

16. gmneil2017

gmneil2017 Guest

GPU:
    palit gtx 970 jetstream
    thanks a lot.. im just a little worried regarding temps, since they all say that it may shorten the lifespan of CPU. anyway, i think ill go with the coolmaster to save more money. thanks a lot again :)

17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    It's only temps higher than the max recommended for the device that you need to worry about, if you keep it within it's limits, you don't need to worry about temps at all

Check the manufactures specs to find out the max temp for that piece of hardware, then don't let it go above that temp

18. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

If you're not getting a K processor and never intent overclocking, you could save a little bit of money by going a H97 motherboard instead. That said, I highly recommend getting a K processor for overclocking. Overclocking is pretty easy these days, the bios can basically do it for you (to light and medium overclock levels). It's only when you want to do enthusiast level overclocking where you need to be careful. Enthusiast level overclocking doesn't really get you much benefit over normal overclocking, but it is where you have to worry about voltages, be more wary of temperatures etc.

In terms of lasting a few years, NOBODY can honestly answer that one. The term 'future-proof' should be banned, because it implies that the future of hardware in a few years is already known. The term has been lucky in the last couple of years or so, because computer hardware has essentially stalled, although this is likely to change next year. You have AMD Zen coming out (which is hopefully as good as it sounds), as well as 14nm/16nm GPU's.

You are probably okay on the CPU side of things, but in terms of the graphics card an upgrade at the end of next year or the year after would probably be worthwhile. In that sense, the GTX 970 will you do fine until such time. Don't just get the 980 to be future-proof, it would be a complete waste at the moment with these newer cards on the near horizon.

19. AaronT

AaronT Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G SLI
    You could always add the second 970 further down the track when their price goes down.

20. xeph

xeph Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1480/7200
    well at that range anyway it would not have any affect really, they can take a lot more heat, in overclocking its the voltage that shortens it the most... and just a light oc with a tad more voltage wont do any harm and would probably last you for a long time,

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015