Delidded a Haswell i5 and now system is "weird"

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by AsiJu, Aug 2, 2015.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yo!

Did me a bit of delidding with the vice method. While the lid popped out nicely and everything, without bending the CPU too much, I had trouble getting my PC running again.

I had to re-arrange my memory so that both modules are on bank B now (used to be A+B for dual channel) to get my PC to boot up.
    Isn't the memory controller on the CPU itself?

There's other weird stuff going on too, voltage for the fourth core is shown as N/A and, while games run mostly normally, there are occassional, severe stutters.
    Haven't had BSODs or crashes though. Yet.

So what do you think, did the DIY-Joe here just break his CPU?
    The system ran 100 % issue-free before so... it would match.

All and any input welcome. Feel free to call me an idiot, I certainly feel like one.
    Should have known better with my experience. Dammit.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  2. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Checked that they are no bent pins on socket?

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yes and it seemed normal, however can't be 100 % sure as it's hard to see.
    I also removed the CPU once already, cleaned it and reapplied thermal paste.

I just ran IntelBurnTest (10 passes with Standard load) and it passed, will try more runs with higher load next.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Try removing and reseating the CPU again, sometimes rebuilding machines fix random bugs

But if Im honest, you say it didn't bend the CPU 'too much'... IMO bending a CPU 'at all' is too much, very possible you've damaged it

EDIT - Just read your above post about already removing it

5. NomadAssassin

NomadAssassin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    Reset the BIOS to factory settings. And why did you delided the CPU if I may ask? Overclocking Haswell i5 is pointless you wont notice almost any difference in games no matter how much you OC it. It's not like the old Intel i5, the G series or AMD FX. Your temps were probably just fine before the deliding.

6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yeah, could be. There isn't any visible deformation/damage now, but ofc the vice caused some torsion while removing the lid.
    Surely enough to break some small solders inside the chip or similar.

Already reset, no effect.
    Wasn't aiming for oc'ing and the temps were, let's say acceptable. My main goal was indeed to reach lower operating temps.

On a side note: Intel BurnTest running now with max load, 17 runs with no errors so far.
    Task Manager shows full CPU usage on all cores. However, AI Suite reports the Core 3 voltage as 0.000.

edit: 20 pass max load IntelBurnTest OK. Gonna try MemTest next.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    MemTest86 v5.01 pass OK with no errors.
    I haven't used MemTest before, is it normal that a single pass takes roughly 30 minutes to complete?

Also tried 3DMark11, otherwise normal but the combined CPU+GPU test at the end was basically a slideshow when it usually runs at 25-30 fps.

Already ordered a replacement CPU to be safe, the system's not normal anymore even if the tests pass.
    So this is turning out to be a 250 EUR lesson in do-NOT-do-it-yourself... lesson learned.

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

For most people, DIY simply means 'damage it yourself'.

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Yeah I'm afraid to delid myself. Temps would be amazing on air but probably lower temps as a paperweight. Op the memory controller is on the cpu, hope the mb socket is ok, might have some bent pins on there.

10. xeph

xeph Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1480/7200
    i think what NomadAssassin was right because you wont see a performance improvement that would be worth it, and ive seen people kill chips when delidding, someone killed a perfectly fine 3770k just to get some more speed at lower temps and higher vcore.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    That's how it is...you get a better chip or dead chip.

12. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Yup, my i7 is delidded, vice method, went fine.

Most times things go fine, sometimes you screw up.

13. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Silicon lottery,not all chips are the same.
    Delidded is useless on air cooling,on water is different story.

14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    That's what I thought cause the memory is now acting up. Among other things.
    Let's indeed hope the new CPU fixes things and that there isn't any collateral damage. The CPU socket seems fine to me, same as before.

Maybe the silver lining here could be that my new CPU turns out to be a golden chip. The current one is an absolute lemon. Well, at least now it is...

Ordered a i5-4690K, which is at least supposed to have better thermals than first-gen Haswells. We'll see.
    Thought about going i7 while I'm at it for future-proofing, but that would have cost 100+ EUR more. Have to pay enough dues (literally) because of this already.

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    What? Its actually the air where he should be getting better temps, not water.

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yeah. BTW somehow your avatar is very fitting in this situation, giving me the finger ;)

"Delidded did you? Twat!"

17. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Well I've done it 3 times with no problems, everytime i did it with a razor, takes about 5 mins.

Bad luck for you i guess

18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yeah. I suppose in theory the memory modules and/or slots could be the culprit too, but it's very unlikely something would have broken them all of a sudden.
    Most likely a busted memory controller on the CPU and probably some VRMs too as the voltage is reported incorrectly now.

I'll update when the new CPU arrives, should be here around midweek.

19. xeph

xeph Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1480/7200
    well man, im sorry that had to happen... im not delidding ever, even if i had a 20c decrease in temps, i dont see the risk of killing a 170 pound chip to get better temps, because im already quite satisfied with them

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  20. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Thanks, I'm neither doing it ever. Again.
    Was tempted by the potential temp drop, but not worth the risk.