Office pc upgrade for Windows 10

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Barry J, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    X4 955 upgraded to Intel i5 4590
    AM2 gigabyte upgraded to TUF Asus SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK 2
    vertex2 cooler upgraded to Noctua NH-D15 Dual Radiator Quiet CPU Cooler with two NH-A15 Fans
    4gb value ram upgraded to 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Pro Series Red, PC3-14900 (1866),
    2x rapter 74gb upgraded to 250GB Crucial MX200, 2.5" SATA III (6Gbps)
    gigabyte aurora case upgraded to Cooler Master HAF 912 Advance Mid Tower ATX Case, Black, with 200mm Red LED Fan Side Window
    Evga 660ti SC upgraded to EVGA GTX970 SCC
    PSU Coarsair TX750 V2 purchased about 5 months ago
    Extra 200mm red led case fan for top of case

It all arrives Monday so I will build then install windows 8 (I hope do not need to install 8.1 ) then windows 10pro X64

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  2. NomadAssassin

NomadAssassin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    That's not upgrade. It's called buying entirely new thing. :D

3. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super

I figure I should have upgraded bits over time but never got round to it.
    So I decided to bundle them all together and do one huge upgrade which happens to change almost everything in the PC.

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Should have gone the i5-4590k since you have a Z97 board and that air cooler.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    If it's better than the old system, it's an upgrade, no matter how many parts you replace

6. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    What kind of office work you're going to do on that "office rig" that needs i5-4590, Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2, NH-D15, HAF 912, GTX970...? Sure you're not going to use it just for Word, Excell... maybe 3ds Max?

It looks to me that you're building new gaming rig, but it's gonna be payed through company's account. Same way every few months I'm buying new or upgrading current gaming rigs or HTPC's for my kids: through my company's account :)

As thatguy91 already suggested, since you're buying Z97 & NH-D15 go for i5-4590K.

7. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super

The CPU will never be overclocked so a K series would be a waste of money my main rig i7 will go in this PC when that's upgraded. The PC is in a warm office. I wanted the best air cooler that I could get so that i can almost forget it once its installed.

I googled i5 4590 and it is not that much slower than i5 4690k at stock speeds but that cost £35 more than 4590 I bet they open and close excel at about the same speed.

8. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super

Mainly MS Office and an Accounting package it is being built to last years hoping about 8 more if I am lucky I figure build good mid range pc and it should last. the system it is replacing was a good spec when it was built. I thought about a K series but the i7 in my main PC will end up in there when I eventually upgrade that so wanted something good but not waste money.

If my main rig is out of action it will be a nice short term backup

9. NomadAssassin

NomadAssassin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    4590 doesn't have K model. i5 has only 4670 and 4690 that have the K

10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Oops I missed that :). Was thinking i5-3570k.

Since it will never be overclocked, wouldn't the Z97 Sabertooth be a waste? A high end H97 would have been more cost effective.

11. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    Z97 is newer also sabertooth has a 5 year warranty

12. NomadAssassin

NomadAssassin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    True 4590 needs only mobo that does the job and it's all perfect.

13. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    wow just found out getting free games with intel CPU bargin

http://www.scan.co.uk/shops/intel/freesoftwarepromo

Counterstrike Global Offensive
    Final Fantasy a Realm Reborn
    Grid Autosport
    World of Tanks
    Lego Minifigures Online

14. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Exactly. Also, a five year warranty over a 3 year warranty might sound good, but if something happens to the motherboard in say, 2019 (outside the 3 year warranty but within the 4 year warranty), in all likelihood the rest of the computer would be changed as well.

It's ironic that it was chosen to saving £35 on the CPU because it will never be overclocked, then spend easily more than that on a motherboard where in retrospect, the only difference in the scenario would be the ability to overclock :).

Worse case, a replacement board would probably be quite cheap by the time the H97 is out of warranty anyway, even if you don't upgrade :).