Computer Build Question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by AMBrodie, Aug 8, 2015.

1. AMBrodie

AMBrodie Guest

GPU:
    8GB GDDR5 VRAM NVIDIA® Ge
    Hello all,

I am looking into building a computer. I have built one before about 8 years ago for gaming. I currently do my games with the playstation. This computer will be used for graphics. Art based programs (Illustrator, Photoshop, and so on) A lot of the files I build are 800 MB + in size. I need a computer which will not hang up on me.

I am an AMD fan basically because of the price. Currently I am looking into the following parts for my build:

ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula-Z

AMD FX-9590 (I have been researching this a lot - The cooling system which comes with this processor is said to not be very good? - Should I look into a different cooling system? If so which one would be best? I have never used liquid cooling before. I never felt safe. Why put liquid inside the machine? Just doesn't seem safe to me. But this chip can not be air cooled is what I have read)

** If I do go with a liquid cooling system, how do I match up the case to the cooling system I purchase ** I have read about people having to drill holes in their case for installation. I do not want to do this.

G.SKILL TridentX Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200)

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980 Ti GV-N98TG1 GAMING-6GD 6GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 SLI Support ATX Video Card

SAMSUNG 850 EVO MZ-75E1T0B/AM 2.5" 1TB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

I know this might be over kill for what I am looking to do, but I also may get back into pc gaming as well. The games I play are not crazy graphic intense (FIFA, WOW (when I was pc gaming)

Any, and all help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

John

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Yes,this CPU requires liquid cooling,having 8 cores at 4,8 -5 ghz is no easy task for air cooling.
    Now,to put in layman's terms,water or liquid is denser than air,thus is easier to transfer heat.Imagine liquid a bus with multiple seats and air a normal sedan.More seats,more heat goes out,more cooling goes in in,right?(not the best analogy,but explaining thermodynamics is not my strong point).
    It is important to get the heat out as fast as you can and cool this CPU,so liquid cooling is the way to go.As for risks,liquid cooling has gone a long way and chances of leaks are very slim.Very.Most of the time is user fault.(no ofense).
    As concerning radiators and cases,research is your best ally,as usual.
    Get a solid case from a known brand and 99% you are safe from drilling in order to attact some radiator inside the computer case.
    Partpicker can help and also this forum has some liquid-cooling pros willing to give information .
    For modeling and gaming this build can serve you just right.
    Debating single thread vs multiple thread,upgrade path,or AMD vs Intel is moot.You decided,we answer.

You didn't said anything the PSU..what model you will use with this build?

3. xeph

xeph Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1480/7200
    well i dont think you need a 980ti for playing WoW or Fifa, it may help with other more demanding titles like witcher 3, gta 5, etc.
    and about the case, most modern cases will have mounts at the top, back or front in which you can mount radiators, you can either get an aio (all in one) water cooler or go custom and have larger radiators and pumps, but im no expert on the subject, someone else would probably be better at helping you here on guru3d

4. AMBrodie

AMBrodie Guest

GPU:
    8GB GDDR5 VRAM NVIDIA® Ge
    Thank you for the replies guys.

I will have to do a lot of research on the liquid systems. I could be one with user error. I have not looked into a psu yet. I know the 9590 requires a lot of power. I will get one in the 1000-1200 watt range.

Cheers,

John