Watercooled Upgrade

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Cartman372, Jun 10, 2015.

1. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    I've transported my rig loads of ti.es and not bothered to drain it. However when moving house I don't let the removal men touch it! I move it myself and stick it in the back of my car lol!

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I more meant that it's just heavier than an air setup, at least mine was with water in compared to just an air setup :)

But yeah, I wouldn't let anybody touch that thing... way to expensive in any case, and the time you'd need to replace something broken, and to do a new setup maybe... doesn't pay off in comparison to just taking that single thing yourself.

3. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    Oh yeah there's no way I'd let a moving company handle my computer, wouldn't want to chance it.

4. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    Small update:

Received my 360mm rad last week but didn't bother fitting in the case due to the move.

My WSGF/Ergotech Ultimate Stand V2 showed up as well and I got that set up.

Here's some pics of the stands before/after

Box. 37lbs of steel
    [​IMG]

Before
    [​IMG]

Base with pole
    [​IMG]

Base plate with Galaxy Note 4 for size comparison
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Moving out date is August 17th, bit over 3 weeks from now. Depending on the pay I'm going to get once my job transfers down there, I hope to have the watercooled upgrade finished mid-September.

5. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Nice setup, I hope nothing breaks while moving. Also, decent case, the lighting looks cool (I like the case's light more, if only the in-case light would be like it).

Well I hope you get things sorted out, in the meantime you can do lots of reading :D

6. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    I'm not too worried about breakage during the move. Going to be buying a lot of bubble wrap.

As far as the case, originally it only has the ring of light around the exterior. The interior lights is an option from Phanteks that I installed. The only thing I don't like about it is that certain shades of colors the interior and exterior lights don't match 100% for hue. Small issue but I can live with it.

And thanks! I'm sure everything will go smoothly. Just a matter of waiting till I'm settled into the new house before I continue the build.

7. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Wouldn't that rad-res combo put a lot of extra strain on the pump since you'd be adding another section of height? Or does it not matter in a closed system due to a siphon effect? (water noob)

8. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I think you underestimate how powerful that pump is even on low settings. Out of 1-5 i have my setting on no2 as the water flys around the loop. Without a monoblock and using seperate blocks maybe setting 3 would be better as you will have more restriction.

Remember it dont matter how fast your pump is, the restriction will be your bottleneck.

9. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    Yep the D5 pump is a beast, even in my setup I've never needed to run it past setting 3 (based on temps using 1-5 over a few days).

10. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I've bought the PWM D5 and went for ~50% at the moment, and can't say I have the feeling I should increase the rpm, but rather that I could go down a bit. So I guess the OP would be fine with his setup so far.

11. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    As others have said, the D5 pump is powerful and will be the least of my worries when it comes to loop performance.

12. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    Are there any right angle adapters that exist for power supplies?

I'm looking at making the fit in this image a little less tight.

[​IMG]

13. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Hmm not that I would know of tbh, but I didn't really check for that.
    Looks like a tight fit, but I guess you would be okay, if your rad doesn't have it's ports on this side ;)

14. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    I did a quick look around and didn't find anything that would work. There is just enough room for the cables, but it's still quite tight and I'd prefer a bit more room.

If they don't exist it's not the end of the world for my build, but it'd be nice anyway.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  15. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I know what you mean. I'm still looking for one or the other cable that would work better inside my case, angled SATA cables in red or black, and such stuff.

16. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    D5 is awesome. I have it on 2 and could even go down to 1 with minimal to no loss of cooling (perhaps not even 1C). It's pushing an XSPC Raystorm, two Heatkiller 79X0 blocks, 2 360mm radiators, and quite a few bended (90 and 135 degree) fittings.

It's gonna take a very, very restrictive loop to ask for higher settings on a single pump, let alone needing to go for two.

17. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    Good news, this project isn't dead!

Sorry for being MIA everyone, a ton of life stuff happened between my last post and now.

In August 2015 I had the opportunity to move out of NJ (too expensive to live there), so I moved to FL. After a few months in FL I moved into my own house and have finally started getting settled again.

With that said I am currently trying to balance redoing my home theater setup (which will likely get a thread of its own after I've ordered everything), home upgrades/renovations and of course this watercooled upgrade.

TL;DR did adult things, moved across country, finally settled in and ready to continue PC upgrades

Tempted to just say eff it and order the two 980Tis but I feel at the current time it'd be a bad idea due to nVidia announcing the new 1000/X series of cards soon.

The current timeframe is May/June for the announcement/release of the new cards right?

EDIT: Oh yeah trying to do a major NAS upgrade as well lol (Synology 1815+ and 6TB WD Reds)

Too many projects to juggle

18. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah, right now's not the best time to get yourself two 980TIs, except if you get them dirt cheap second hand maybe ;)

Wait for two more months, then everything should be a lot easier to plan, as AMD's and Nvidia's next gen should be launched / announced, and we will know details of the hardware and maybe a few early benchmarks if we're lucky. It's just that if you buy two TIs now, you'd have to pay something close to 1200$ (I think?), but you might get the same performance in three or four months for about 700-800$...

Hence, it might be a good idea to take care of that home theatre or the NAS for now ;)

So how's the weather down there currently? Still besieged by elderly people? :D

19. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    Yep two TIs would run me about $1,250-$1,300 USD. I'm hoping that the next generation of cards are a leap in price to performance ratio. Guess we'll see what happens in the next couple of months.

Here's the current NAS situation lol.

[​IMG]

Looking at six 6TB drives in an 1815+ to replace the Drobo and consolidate all the data into one, much faster box.

Weather? Not that bad yet, but the humidity will really start kicking up come July and then it'll be hell. And definitely yes besieged by old people and college students.

20. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    That's a lot of storage and a lot of data, I see why you need a bigger NAS. My goal is to buy another 2 or 4TB drive this year :D

Yeah, at least you're not directly at the beach like Daytona or something, a bit out of the line of fire I hope ;)